Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Chile, esp. Atacama

Chile, esp. Atacama

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I didn't pay much attention to the road condition, but IIRC the road to Geyser del Tatio was the worst with bumps and potholes. That drive was also before daylight (since you are trying to arrive at sunrise, and I do think it's the best time to go) so I think the problem is confounded.

I should mention, although I didn't care much for the geyser, I greatly enjoyed a stop on the way back at a wetland (yes, they exist in the higher elevation) with lots of waterfowls and vicunas, with the mountain range rising in the background. Very scenic, though the name of the place eludes me. But again, it was cut short by the tour schedule.

I think for me ideally, I'd like to hire a driver-guide. I decide where to go, they make it happen (so I don't have to worry about the logistics) and also provide useful information on what we're seeing etc. One of our tour guides was really good and gave lots of information, I do think that added value.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Since we have to make our way from Calama to Arica, I'm leaning heavily to driving myself around the San Pedro area (I kind of need to have the car already). It's kind of the only way to make the economics work for the trip. Unless the road conditions make that decision crazy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.