Reload this Page >

UIO Quito, Ecuador airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UIO Quito, Ecuador airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:36 pm

@ 3544quebec: Hello, and in your case, you can take the $2 bus up to the Intervalles/El Nacional stop (the junction you talk about) and then take the inter-valleys bus to El Tingo or San Rafael in Los Chillos valley; if you are travelling light or with a rucksack it would be not too much of a hassle, and these buses sometimes have luggage racks underneath the cabin, but if you have too much luggage the best bet is a taxi from the same stop or even one from the airport.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:38 pm

Thanks alejoc. It looks like the airport relocation actually makes my visits to Ecuador easier as I always stay with friends in Sangolqui - now no need to navigate through Quito and perhaps we even avoid the Peaje
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
New Quito Airport lodging options

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks for this info. A google search of Garden Hotel San Jose Aeropuerto Quito this morning turns up a couple pages that can be translated. Not much real info, but it sounds like the nearby town of Tababela is gearing up for tourism.
Here is info from www.GringoTree.com:
The lodging situation near the airport has opened up. Travelers have reported at least five hostals within 30 minutes.

Thom found four.

Hosteria San Carlos (hosteriasancarlostababela.com), in Tababela six miles from the airport, has single rooms from $35, doubles from $40, and triples from $75.

Mi Huasipungo (www.hosteriamihuasipungo.com), also in Tababela a few miles from the airport, has 8 rooms (4 doubles and 4 singles), but apparently it’s sold out until April.

In Puembo, within 15-20 minutes of airport, is Hosteria San Jose (www.hosteriasanjose.com), with 31 singles and doubles.

Also, Puembo Rincon (www.rincondepuembo.com/en/lodging) has suites, doubles, triples, and even townhouses.

A few days ago, Araya stayed at Hostel La Dicha, a cheap hostel only 15 minutes from the airport. She wrote, “Basic clean rooms with private baths, nothing fancy, but at $15 per night, it was just fine. They even provided a wake up knock at 4 a.m. You can book a taxi both ways at the airport taxi desk inside the airport $10/each way. It’s at Diego de Vasquez between A. Gangotenay F. de Orellana in the small town of Pifo. For reservations: 238-1239.”
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Another Quito Airport Hotel
Just saw this on "GringoTree" Ecuadorian newsletter:

Quito Airport Suites: English-speaking staff, 24-hour airport transfers and reception, WIFI, breakfast included, DirectTV, pets OK, credit cards OK, bag storage.

For questions and to reserve a room, email [email protected] or click the button below, or call 098-889-9774.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:00 pm

http://www.lan.com/es_ec/sitio_perso...cio/index.html

25% off the Aeroservicios transfer to/from new UIO to the old Airport with a LAN boarding pass.
Only question I have is what is there now at the old airport that would motivate anyone to go there?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
There is a lounge operated by Quickport I believe that serves the departing gates of A and B. B gates are one floor down from the lounge and A gates are on the same floor.

I don't know which airlines have contracts with the lounge. However they do accept Priority Pass and there was a large Diners Club International sign by the entrance, suggesting perhaps that card gets you entry. The inside of the lounge has ample space with a Spanish news station on TV, several flight monitor screens and some light snacks and soft drinks that are self-serve. You can also ask for a wifi code from the lounge check-in desk.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: Nada!
How long to the center of old quito from the new airport? If I flew in from QYE but was leaving for Atlanta or vice versa, would I have to switch airports? Thx
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:58 pm

How does the new airport handle Int'l to Int'l transfers? I'm coming in from BOG on TA and going to LIM (also on TA). Will I have to clear customs or can I transit airside? Is 2.5 hours enough?

Last edited by audio-nut; Dec 26, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:19 am

Just in case someone in the future is looking for transit info...I can confirm that you can do Int'l to Int'l transfers without entering Ecuador. It i well marked and takes only a couple minutes through a dedicated security line.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:29 am

Long Quito Airport Layover (returning from Galapagos to US)

From digging around online, it looks like I'm in the same boat as many here regarding the bad timing of itineraries going from the Galapagos to the US. For unknown reasons, all of the flights from the Galapagos to Quito arrive after all of the flights to the US have left for the day. So you can either find a hotel, or wait at the airport the 9+ hours until the red-eyes start early the next morning. We opted for the latter.

There is a Wyndham hotel right at the airport that should be finished very soon. Once that opens, a room there for the day or overnight (in preparation for an early morning Quito-US flight) would make sense. But, currently, the closest hotels are a cab ride away and none had really decent reviews.

Others cab all the way back to Quito for the afternoon and night, and then take a very early cab back to the airport the next morning. With 45 minutes each way in a cab, and the recommendation of being at the airport three hours in advance of an international flight (seems safe to ignore, frankly), this wasn't attractive to us.

Our plan was to get some food in the pre-security area, and then head on in to the lounge and basically spend the next eight hours there. Plan foiled!

We did eat (Johnny Rocket's - this new airport has food from the old airport food era unfortunately). Then we tried to go to the lounge in the international terminal. But security wouldn't let us through since it was more than three hours before our flight. I tried and tried, and the security guy finally let me go through telling me that immigration wouldn't let me through. He was right. So I turned around.

We then camped out at TGI Friday's for the next four hours. We were not alone. Many groups from our flight were camped there also. Great power outlets at almost every table! A trickle of Wifi. And the servers don't seem to mind. I even took a nap. We didn't order a lot but left a very large tip. It was a little loud, but I'm pretty sure it was the best alternative.

If there were a lounge pre-security, I would have probably even paid for it if they didn't take PriorityPass. I spent about $80 to sit at Friday's. I should also note that the only chairs pre-security were very, very limited and not at all comfortable.

Eventually, three hours pre-flight, we did move on to the lounge. Lounge was fine - food was nothing, shower was OK. They have four reclined chairs in a "quiet" room, but unfortunately this room backs up against something very noisy - probably the dishwashing station for the kitchen. It's really pretty silly. But I did catch about two hours sleep there, so I can't complain. And the Wifi was actually usable in the lounge, so that was good.

Other notes:

There is a new building across the street with shops and food. The sushi place was our plan, but it was closed - not sure if that's permanent. The other places are chain fast-food places.

We did try to not exit the secure area on the domestic side to see if we could get into that lounge, but we couldn't figure out a way to do it. I would have looked more carefully if I had known about the issue getting into the international side.

Finally, I'm not sure if it's possible, but since it seems that all Quito-Baltra flights in both directions stop in Guayaquil also, there might be better connections to the US through Guayaquil. I didn't realize our return flight stopped there since it had one flight number all the way through (although I could have figured that out based on the times). We were in Quito to visit on the way to the Galapagos, but on the way back, we just wanted to get home the fastest way.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I had a flight around 6am, so I didn't want to get a hotel that night (not to mention, the airport is quite far from the city and at the time, there were no decent places nearby). I just hung out in the airport "annex," using the free wi-fi, and eating every now and then.

(As an aside, the old UIO - where you catch a bus to the new UIO - has a cool park built on its grounds.)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm stuck here at UIO, not being allowed through immigration until 3 hours before my flight, so figured I might as well update...

The Wyndham has opened and is pretty nice, at least as far as the rooms go. You can see the hotel when you walk out the terminal, but I wouldn't suggest walking it. Call the front desk to summon the shuttle... the sign at the waiting area said they operate every 30 minutes, and I waited an hour and no one showed... when I called they said "Ok, we'll send someone", so the schedule is clearly not adhered to. I asked about day rooms and they don't really have such a thing. They wanted to book me overnight and charge the nightly rate, with the same check in time as an overnight guest would have. (Pass.) The restaurant was pretty bad... I only ate there one night for the convenience factor and ordered a ribeye cooked medium... what came out was not a ribeye, and was raw in the center. I sent it back, and it came out again the same way. After sending it back again, it came out the third time somewhere close to rare and I gave up.

At the airport, there's a wider variety of food at the airport center (across the street from the airport). However the wifi is terrible. 0.25 megabits and ~20% packet loss. If you want usable wifi, try an establishment in the airport building. TGI Fridays had decent internet, though the food prices were on the expensive side.

The shower room in the Sala VIP is tiny... probably 8' x 4', with half that taken by the shower enclosure. There's barely enough room to stand outside the shower, as you share that 4' x 4' space with a bench and a hamper.

As far as the three hour rule, this applies to both passengers originating at UIO as well as those doing an international transit. So if you are connecting to another international flight, and it is more than 3 hours away, you will be required to proceed through immigration and customs, and then go through passport control and security again once you are within the 3 hour window.

Last edited by javabytes; Oct 8, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
UIO Same-Day Turn

Has anyone recently completed a same-day turn in Quito?

Is it similar to SJU and PTY, where you can hang out at the arrival gate if you are on the same plan that returns to MIA within the hour?
Old May 23, 2018, 12:18 pm

So, if I'm doing the Galapagos, I'm flying into Quito (and pre-cruise 2 days with Silversea hotels and transfers)

After the Galapagos, would the suggestion be then to go Baltra to Guayaquil, and Guayaquil back to the states, not going to Quito. Thats what seems to make most sense to me.

Any suggestions???
Old May 26, 2018, 10:00 am

Any information on the two PP lounges with showers? Curious as to the cleanliness. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.