Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BOG open

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
New BOG open

Love the new terminal. Will be better when they get real lounges. Local connecting flights are still from the old part of the airport in a crappy, crowded terminal that you need to take a very long bus ride to.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:17 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cavitron
Love the new terminal. Will be better when they get real lounges. Local connecting flights are still from the old part of the airport in a crappy, crowded terminal that you need to take a very long bus ride to.
Surely that is only Avianca domestic flights from the puente aéreo
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia

Surely that is only Avianca domestic flights from the puente aéreo
Yep. It was BOG-MDE on AV. The return flight on Copa went to the new one.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cavitron
It's not THAT long of a bus ride all things considered. And certainly shorter than it used to be given that the new int'l terminal is closer to AV's Puente Aereo than the old main terminal is.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Herb687
It's not THAT long of a bus ride all things considered. And certainly shorter than it used to be given that the new int'l terminal is closer to AV's Puente Aereo than the old main terminal is.
I wonder if some of us are being directed outside to take the crappy old bus that runs on the public roads to the cargo terminal and other stops. I have come to realize that I probably need to go to the Avianca transfers desk at international arrivals to be directed to the nicer and faster shuttle bus that stays on the airport grounds.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: SK*G, Iberia Plus Oros
Funny thing with the taxis. The pre-arrange prices were scrapped because they were zoned in a stupid way. For example I live in Chapinero which was classed as "North" but also in the North was Cedritos which is a hundred blocks further.

So I was spending the same for a taxi as someone that had a journey that was up to an hour longer. The new system dictates that you pay what the meter says, plus a COP$3600 "recarga" for the airport, plus another COP$1800 recarga for out of hours service 20h00 to 06h00.

For a brief period, my taxi fares were a bit lower by about $5000. The last couple of taxis I have taken from BOG though, the driver has refused to start the meter and pulls a fare out of nowhere. Normally it is not unreasonable and is similar to the previous rate when they had printed tix.

Shame, build a nice new airport but you cannot stop the taxistas being dickwads.
I'm a first time visitor arriving into BOG on LH, so would you suggest to have a pre-arranged transfer to the hotel? Or is it a safe and reliable option to grab a regular taxi? I gather that the coupon system has been abolished so you have to grab a taxi from a random line on the curb side.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Springbok Viking
I'm a first time visitor arriving into BOG on LH, so would you suggest to have a pre-arranged transfer to the hotel? Or is it a safe and reliable option to grab a regular taxi? I gather that the coupon system has been abolished so you have to grab a taxi from a random line on the curb side.
I try to only use the taxis when I am of low value. i.e. no wallet, no credit cards, no laptop, no cellphone, no cash.

That said, I am a victim of probabilities, I use BOG so much that I was bound to run across a dubious taxi driver or 3. I'd say about 6% of them are complete crooks, another 10% or so will try to overcharge you.

I am much happier getting a transfer or a known taxi driver.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: SK*G, Iberia Plus Oros
I try to only use the taxis when I am of low value. i.e. no wallet, no credit cards, no laptop, no cellphone, no cash.

That said, I am a victim of probabilities, I use BOG so much that I was bound to run across a dubious taxi driver or 3. I'd say about 6% of them are complete crooks, another 10% or so will try to overcharge you.

I am much happier getting a transfer or a known taxi driver.

Alright, can you recommend a transport provider? I'm staying at the Estelar Suites Jones, but I couldn't find any email adress.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:14 pm

I don’t know anything about the Hoteles Estelares, but their website includes a U.S. reservation number:

http://www.hotelesestelar.com/en/des...ta/suite-jones

I didn’t have any problems with a taxi when I arrived at the new terminal.

I terminated at the new terminal in Bogota for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

While there’s no longer a booth to print out a receipt with a price, I don’t think that the taxi line is any more random (that is to say, unsafe) than it was at the old terminal.

There’s a roped-off area outside of the arrivals on the ground floor and a queue of people inside the roped-off area waiting for taxis.

There were taxi company employees pairing up customers with arriving cabs.

So, other than there no longer being a booth and a person to print out a receipt, the old system seems otherwise generally to be in place.

My earlier concerns, perhaps similar to yours, turned out to be unfounded. I didn’t see much possibility of me getting duped into taking an unauthorized taxi.

I’ve never availed myself of a hotel cab – my concern has always been that I wouldn’t be able to locate the hotel cab, and I’d end up waiting a long time searching for the hotel cab.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farfallah

My earlier concerns, perhaps similar to yours, turned out to be unfounded. I didn’t see much possibility of me getting duped into taking an unauthorized taxi.
The risk is not getting duped into an unauthorised taxi. The risk is that a good proportion of authorised taxi drivers are criminals.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Springbok Viking
Alright, can you recommend a transport provider? I'm staying at the Estelar Suites Jones, but I couldn't find any email adress.
I could recommend a transport provider but Flyer Talk terms and conditions doesn't allow me to because I own the company that provides the service that I use. I just call up and tell someone to be waiting for me.

Our prices 1 pax BOG-Bogotá City = 24.19€ and Bogotá City to BOG is 18.14€ if you want a benchmark for comparison.

What I can do if you want to send a PM with your booking details, is pop into Suites Jones Estelar tomorrow and order a car for you. I presume they have their own service and the hotel is between my home and the office.

It's a cool choice of hotel by the way. Just over the road from the Pozzetto Restaurant. Site of the eponymous massacre

Enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I like the new airport. But the free WiFi is terrible and they know it. How they can build a new airport and then have bad WiFi is a bit puzzling, as is the lack of recharge electrical outlets in this day and age. (There is ONE public charging station mid-terminal, but good luck finding a time when it isn't fully occupied.)

So a tip: use either end of the terminal for the “best” signal. The better seems to be near the chapel and the hall there has an electrical outlet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.