4 days in Cartagena, solo trip

Subscribe
So here's what's going on.

I was supposed to go to a wedding in Cartagena later this month, however the wedding is likely to be postponed due to one of the future spouses being called in to testify as an expert witness in a trial stateside. My airfare to CTG is paid for, nonrefundable, and on NK so any changes cost more than the ticket itself... so screw it, wedding or no wedding, I'm going.

But I have no clue what to do now. The initial plan was tag along with the wedding party and just explore the old city for a day. As much as I want to see the old city for a day, I've already lived in two Spanish colonial cities and travel to two others regularly, so I don't think I need more than a day there.

Within a reasonable budget (my lodging is already paid for, so that cost doesn't have to be factored in), how does the Flyertalker community recommend I spend 4 days in Cartagena?

Thanks!
Awwwwww mkt!

I got your PM and replied to it, let me know a bit about what you are in to and I promise we will put together some awesome suggestions for you and you will have a killer time in CTG
It is an easy city to enjoy,
not that much advance planning needed.

A day trip out to the mud volcano is a good laugh.
Quote: It is an easy city to enjoy,
not that much advance planning needed.

A day trip out to the mud volcano is a good laugh.
See The mud volcano of Totumo is one thing I couldn't envisage doing on my own, who is going to look after my camera and cellphone whilst I flop around in the mud. Plus unless you have someone the wrestle with, actually sitting in mud becomes a bit tedious quite fast and probably not worth riding all the way to Totumo for.
JohnnyColombia THANK YOU! Thanks for your suggestions via PM.

Everyone else.. keep em coming!
i went a few years ago, and one of the best things I did was a day trip to one of the many islands off the coast. i purchased the trip through the hotel, and it was probably ~20 people total. The island had a small hotel (didnt stay there) and the trip included a lunch of fresh fried fish which was delicious. I dont remember the exact island we went to, but I'm pretty sure there are alot of these trips of similar quality.

I think we were on the island for 5 or 6 hours, and went out with a guide to go snorkeling. the water was crystal clear and saw quite a bit of fish. You can also just lay on the beach and enjoy the sun.
I spent two days on the islands.

One day it included the Aquarium (Oceanarium), a shor circuit thru the Islas del Rosario and spend at Playa Blanca (white beach) at Isla Baru. It was wonderful. Yes, they say the sellers at the beach are annoying but just a bit, you can manage it with a simple No.

The 2nd day I went to Islas del Rosario Again but to do snorkeling and spend the day at Cocoliso Island, it doesn't have a beach, more coral shores but the hotel at the island is very nice with pool and all basic resort facilities.

At nights the bars and restaurants at old town are great. I enjoyed Cartagena a lot. Have fun.
Quote: Yes, they say the sellers at the beach are annoying but just a bit, you can manage it with a simple No.
Actually NO doesn't always mean no and they will keep pitching to you. The magic word to get rid of a seller in Colombia is GRACIAS.

I have no idea why but if you say gracias to a seller they will be away in a heartbeat
Quote: Actually NO doesn't always mean no and they will keep pitching to you. The magic word to get rid of a seller in Colombia is GRACIAS.

I have no idea why but if you say gracias to a seller they will be away in a heartbeat
That's right. Actually I meant No, gracias (No Thanks).
Quote: That's right. Actually I meant No, gracias (No Thanks).
To clairfy, GRACIAS works much better than NO GRACIAS.

No idea why.

Seller: ¿Quisieras comprar un sombrero costeño?
Visitor: No Gracias
Seller: Es lindo!
Seller: ¿Relojes entonces?

alternatively...

Seller: ¿Quisieras comprar un sombrero costeño?
Visitor: Gracias
Seller: OK me voy chau.

Now you will have to come back and try it for yourself
Small update. I'm kinda falling in love with Cartagena.
Quote: Small update. I'm kinda falling in love with Cartagena.
Awesome! Is it your first time in Colombia?
Quote: Awesome! Is it your first time in Colombia?
Yep!
Quote: Small update. I'm kinda falling in love with Cartagena.
Welcome to the club...