Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with first international trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jax78
I'm glad this thread is helping other people, too -- there is some great information here.

Machu Picchu is actually at the top of my list of places I want to visit and so I'm now trying to work it in since I do have several days in Lima. I didn't book it originally because the Inca Trail is closed in Feb -- but I didn't realize I could still visit MP!

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this? Since it's Feb and a slower time, do I need to book things ahead? I've reached out to a couple of travel agents, trying to book things for MP but I'm getting quotes of $5000 USD just for the MP segment. When I look up the lodging, they're on Trip Advisor for $50 - $95 USD/night and the flights are $160 - $250 /USD so I cannot figure out how they want to charge me so much for the MP package (which does include transfers, but still ... $5K seems really high).

But, I'm nervous that if I try to book it on my own something will go wrong / I won't be able to make it to MP / it'll be sold out, etc. I'd appreciate any advice!

I like the idea about taking my iPhone but just sticking to WiFi access. All the lodging I've seen online seems to offer wifi so that should actually work very well.

If you find a must know/must see guide, please share! I'm having a hard time figuring out the "don't miss" things to see and do.

Thank you again for all the help!
$5,000 is obscene. Absolutely unnecessary.

You can very easily, even as an inexperienced traveler, do this much more affordably and on your own. Due to your time restrictions, I'd say the bus is out. No big loss, as you can do a low cost airlines for not much more and 1/10th of the time. Your best bet from Lima to Cusco will be on StarPeru or Peruvian Airlines. Once in Cusco you can buy your own train ticket (very simple), choose your own lodging (no lack of choices at any budget level), and get yourself to MP without anyone's help. Private message me if you'd like and I'd be glad to help you. Or, check out a Lonely Planet book and it details the do it yourself process step by step. You can probably even buy a pdf of that specific chapter online.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Train and Entry into MP cost about USD 200/pp depending on the type of train you take. Keep in mind, that you have to buy MP entry tickets before accessing the site, preferably via internet. You can also buy tickets either in Cuzco or in Aguas Calientes, but since a couple of months there is a daily limit of tickets sold, so I strongly advice to buy in advance not to arrive in Cuzco just to realize that you can't go to MP because the limit has already been sold. Same for trains, reserve in advance. You can all do by yourself via internet.

As far as hotels are concerned, I'd stay 2 nights in Ollantaytambo, this is about 400-500 attitude meters lower than Cuzco and will help you to acclimatize to the height (soroche headache). Trains to/from MP leave in Ollantaytambo. There is a good hotel just beside the train station, which is very convenient if you leave early in the morning and come back late in the day. You ideally fly into Cuzco in early afternoon, take a taxi or combi to Ollantaytambo, next day MP, the day after Cuzco and back to Lima in the evening. Be aware that Cuzco airport can have heavy fog and flights may get cancelled. Allow for some cushion to your next flight out of Lima.

While MP and Cuzco are cerlainly more interesting than Lima, be aware, that February is one of the best months to explore Lima, but not for Cuzco and MP where you can find heavy rain and clouds.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
1. Are there any "must see/do" things in any of these places?
I lead groups of students to Santiago twice per year. The first day of the trip, the students play the "Santiago City Game." I thought you might like to see the list of visits/activities:

Climb Santa Lucia hill (Cerro Sta. Lucía) – to the top - and take a picture with the Universidad Católica in the background across the road.

Visit the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino.

Go to the Plaza de Armas (Main Square) and take a team picture with Pedro de Valdivia on his horse.

Visit La Moneda Palace and take a picture of the artwork in the courtyard.

Visit Catedral Metropolitana in the Plaza de Armas.

Visit Museo de Bellas Artes.

Go to the Lastarria Neighborhood and take a picture at Plaza Mulato Gil.

Visit the Parque de las Estatuas (Park of the Statues) and take a picture with two statues.

Climb or descend San Cristóbal Hill on the Hill Train (Funicular).

Visit La Chascona museum.

Climb to the top and take a picture next to the Statue of the Virgin.

Buy some Mote con Huesillo at the shops below the Virgin’s Sanctuary.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FrogProf

Buy some Mote con Huesillo at the shops below the Virgin’s Sanctuary.
You had me until the last stop. I've had this "delicacy" (well, tasted it) maybe 3 times in my life. This is not a reflection on the Virgin, who I'm sure gives the mote con huesillo some sainted quality. The fact is, there is no good recipe for this. Maybe if you thin it down with some Capel, it would help. On that note, I'm hoping no one pours me any vaina on New Year's Eve. Or more than a sip of cola de mono.

Otherwise, sounds like a fun day (that can be divided into 2 days).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I actually did a similar trip a few months ago. Different number of days in each of the locations but essentially the same. I'll try to answer the questions below:

2. How common is Internet access, especially free wifi with lodging? I'm not sure what the practices are.
==YMMV but most places have internet although I have experienced situations where the rooms don't have wifi (only ethernet). Lobbies almost always seem to have wifi. I've ended bringing a mini-router (apple airport express) to use in these situations as i don't bring my laptop very often, just my ipad

3. Is it crazy to bring 2 or 3 suitcases (for two people to share)?
==Not a big fan of checking luggage. I did 2 weeks with just a 22" rollaboard. It just gets a bit cumbersome but I think this is a personal preference. I like traveling light and I also like the flexibility of potentially change travel plans/flights in the even of IRROPs and not being tied into a flight because a bag was checked.

4. How accessible is laundry service? If I don't bring much luggage, I'll need to figure out how to get clean clothes.
==I usually bring clothes that I can wash myself. Wear one set and pack one set. I've gotten to the point where I actually wear them into the shower and wash while i'm showering. there are some great threads on this in the travel products forum - about travel underwear, wash and wear, etc.

5. Are there liquid restrictions on international or LAN flights? Meaning, can I buy a big bottle of shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash, etc in Lima and take it with me through the rest of the trip?
==Again, I'm not sure I'd be a big fan of bringing large amounts of anything

6. On that note, hotels in the US usually provide shampoo and conditioner. Is this common in SA, too, or do I need to make sure to have my own?
==I've not yet encountered a place that doesn't provide it. I find that I don't like it in some smaller places so i'll bring small one from home or from the prior night if it's a nicer place than the place I'm staying at the next night

8. If you were going on a similar trip, how much USD cash would you carry? My preference would be to not rely on a bank/ATM in SA but it seems crazy to carry enough cash for 2.5 weeks.
==I try to get by an entire trip with $200US and maximize it by using credit cards wherever I can. I get really uncomfortable with a lot of cash on me (even here at home!)

9. I tend to take my laptop with me, but is this a bad idea? What about an iPad or netbook?
==I've started only bringing my ipad. biggest down is teh lack of ethernet connectivity. see answer to #2 above

10. I have an iPhone on AT&T. What's the best way to go about getting a data/phone plan? Should I just get a prepaid phone? Is there one that would work across my whole trip?
==I've taken to buying an AT&T international roaming plan for my iphone before each trip. i think i get the $49 plan for about 125MB or so. tides me over between wifi access points. I travel alone and while away the time by checking twitter, facebook, etc. i just chalk it up to a trip expense and then turn it off when I get back home.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I love the idea of the "Santiago City Game" -- thank you for sharing!

I did wind up booking a side trip to MP, staying in Aguas Calientes and Cusco, including tickets for MP and Huanya Picchu.

I'm still feeling anxious about what to pack. I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of clothes I won't likely wear again but trying to wash and dry jeans will be a pain. So many things to think about!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Aeroplan, AAdvantage
You'll have a great trip! I realize you have already received a bunch of good replies, but below are my 2 cents -- hope it helps with regards to Chile and Argentina. I haven't been to Peru - yet.

First - about the clothing. In general, Chilean and Argentinean women wear tidier and more classic clothing than Americans. They can get relatively dressed up at night (eg., black pants, heels, stylish blouse and blazer, silk scarves, etc.) In Argentina especially the women are very stylish. (Just Google their president.) To blend in, try to wear classic and neat clothing, like long white or black pants or a knee-length skirt, classic blouse, a nice fitted t-shirt, etc. Have a nice light cardigan on hand or very lightweight (it will be hot) fitted jacket/blazer. Find a comfortable pair of flats and try to wear those instead of tennis shoes. You will, unfortunately, stick out and possibly attract unwanted attention if you wear shorts, casual t-shirts, casual sandals or tennis shoes. I also personally feel I'm sticking out if I wear bright clothes, so neutrals like black, white, and off-whites/beiges are ideal.

Minimal jewelry is worn in both countries. I just wear inexpensive earrings.

By the way I'd recommend wearing a purse with one of those long straps that goes over your shoulder and across your body.

1. YES. I recently spent 5 days in BA, and there's a lot to see and do if you love history and architecture. If you're a history/art/architecture buff, be sure to see: the Casa Rosada and step into the beautiful national cathedral, San Telmo especially on Sunday during the antiques market, walk along Corrientes and enjoy the bookstores and a cup of tea or coffee at El Gato Negro or any of the other "gran cafes", El Ateneo Grand Splendid bookstore, Evita Museum which is one of the most elegant museums I've been to. If you like shopping for clothes, accessories or trendy interior decor: Palermo Soho or Palermo Hollywood on a Saturday. Eat beef, Italian food (pastas, gelatos, coffee).

In Chile, try to eat local foods like seafood and enjoy the beautiful landscapes.

2. How common is Internet access, especially free wifi with lodging? I'm not sure what the practices are.
I find it varies by hotel, most hotels have WiFi, some include it for free. It's hard to find in cafes.

3. Is it crazy to bring 2 or 3 suitcases (for two people to share)?
No. Especially if you love shopping and you're going to BA

6. On that note, hotels in the US usually provide shampoo and conditioner. Is this common in SA, too, or do I need to make sure to have my own?
They should be provided by most standard hotels, although sometimes I find they are smaller portions than provided in US hotels.

7. Anything to make sure I bring from home that might surprise me? Like, should I be able to easily find Tums, Advil, feminine hygiene products, sunblock, or anything else like that?
I highly recommend bringing your own medicines, feminine hygiene products, and sunblock from home. Not only are they way more expensive in SA, harder to find (and you might have to ask someone for them in Spanish), different brands and the feminine hygiene products tend to be different. Note - shampoos, soaps and conditioners also smell quite different in some SA countries especially Chile, so if you are sensitive to smells (or prefer unscented) bring those items from home.

8. If you were going on a similar trip, how much USD cash would you carry? My preference would be to not rely on a bank/ATM in SA but it seems crazy to carry enough cash for 2.5 weeks.
Note that banks/ATMs are reasonably easy to find in Chile, hard to find in Argentina even downtown BA. In Argentina, you can usually pay in USD at most restaurants, stores (and sometimes there's a discount for doing so). Of course, carrying a lot of cash can pose risks. It's good to check if your hotel room will have a safe, because then you can leave some cash behind when you go out for the day.
By the way, using a credit card in Chile can be tricky, as they will often want to see a government ID. I didn't have problems using my CC in Argentina at places that accepted it - be sure to ask first, because many places won't accept CC and only accept cash.

9. I tend to take my laptop with me, but is this a bad idea? What about an iPad or netbook?
Totally up to you, but my recommendation is to take only one device and store it in a hotel room safe during the day to avoid worrying about it. I used my iPad on wifi in my hotel lobby and it worked well.

10. I have an iPhone on AT&T. What's the best way to go about getting a data/phone plan? Should I just get a prepaid phone? Is there one that would work across my whole trip?
Forget buying a pay-as-you-go voice or data plan in SA: you can only get one if you have a government ID ( visa or residency) (at least in Chile, I believe Argentina is the same). Plus, I believe you'd need a different prepaid phone/SIM card for each country you go to. Therefore, you should probably buy a roaming plan with AT&T or just rely on internet/Skype while you're gone, which is what I do.

ENJOY!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ajginyul

They should be provided by most standard hotels, although sometimes I find they are smaller portions than provided in US hotels.
So funny - almost every single small hotel in Chile will have packets of Sedal (shampoo) in the bathroom. No separate conditioner. That, and mini packaged bars of Lux soap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.