Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Brazil/Uruguay/Chile Suggestions for 5 nights

Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+

I'll be flying into GRU late January for 5 nights and I am debating what I should do. I can leave South America from GRU, MVD, or SCL (post 5-night stay). I've visited South America quite a number of times and I've been to the following cities/areas:

Brazil - Rio, SP, Florianopolis, Curitiba, Salvador, Manaus, Recife, Jericoacoara, Belo Horizonte, Iguazu Falls
Argentina - Buenos Aires, El Calafate/El Chaten, Ushuaia
Uruguay - Colonia
Chile - Puerto Varas/Montt and Santiago/Valparaiso

Option 1:
- Fly into Punta Del Este and spend 2-3 nights there and the remaining nights in Montevideo and fly out from MVD.

Option 2:
- Fly into Bariloche, spend 2-3 nights there, and then take the overnight bus/boat crossing to Puerto Montt and fly to SCL and fly out from there.

Option 3:
- Fly into Mendoza, spend 2-3 nights there (along with 1 night in BA for connection) and overland to Santiago and fly out from SCL.

I am leaning towards option 1 or 2 since I am not a wine person - are there activities around Mendoza besides wineries? I read about Aconcagua and I don't know if I am able to hike that (I can do Temascal Canyon in LA without any problems, but I haven't done anything more strenuous like Mt. Whitney).

I am in my mid-30s and more of a spend 1-3 nights and each place and move on unless the area has a lot to offer. Flying to Bariloche is not a problem for me (as far as timing/energy). I don't mind beach or the mountains or a city with great vibes (would prefer not to spend the entire time in a city though).

I am open to other suggestions besides the 3 I have listed. Initially, I was really set on option #1 but after reading that Uruguay/NE Argentina gets pounded with rain during an El Nio, I am having second thoughts about it.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by nov11; Oct 30, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd recommend the Bariloche trip. Beautiful country down there, and a pleasant town. There are some nice little day trips and hikes around there.

As far as "hiking Aconcagua," it's the highest peak in South America and the climb would require more time and planning.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
How about visiting Iguazu Falls?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sooge_sj
Good answer! ^

How about Lima/Cusco/Machu Picchu?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Thank you for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by sooge_sj
Oppps. I forgot to add that. Did that too.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Good answer! ^

How about Lima/Cusco/Machu Picchu?
Done that too.

I haven't been to Bolivia and it seems like getting to and from Bolivia can be quite a challenge and 5 nights seems too short for it. I wanted to do Lake Titicaca and the Salt Pans but time is quite a limiting factor there.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by nov11
Thank you for the suggestions!

Oppps. I forgot to add that. Did that too.

Done that too.

I haven't been to Bolivia and it seems like getting to and from Bolivia can be quite a challenge and 5 nights seems too short for it. I wanted to do Lake Titicaca and the Salt Pans but time is quite a limiting factor there.
If you can get to Calama by plane, you can take a tour of Uyuni from the Chilean side. That will probably be easier and faster than trying to arrange it on the Bolivian end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.