Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Bogotá [Colombia]? Attractions and things to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Anything there? Looks like I'll be there for 4 nights and am wondering if anyone has some recs ... pretty thin on the boards, at least from my search.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Anything there? Looks like I'll be there for 4 nights and am wondering if anyone has some recs ... pretty thin on the boards, at least from my search.
There used to be a Relais & Châteaux here, but it has disappeared, like many hotels in Bogota. I would go for a big boring chain, like Sofitel.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Pick something close to where you will be during the day. Bogota is much larger than many imagine and traffic is absolutely horrendous during rush hour.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this thread to the FT South America Forum.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old May 25, 2012, 9:21 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
This came over from luxury hotels?

There are only two 5* hotels in Bogotá. Hotel de la Opera in the historic centre and Casa Medina in Chapinero.

On most people's scales, Hotel de la Opera would do well to score 3* but Casa Medina is truly lovely.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
This came over from luxury hotels?

There are only two 5* hotels in Bogotá. Hotel de la Opera in the historic centre and Casa Medina in Chapinero.

On most people's scales, Hotel de la Opera would do well to score 3* but Casa Medina is truly lovely.
Thanks JohnnyColombia. Have you had personal experience(s) at Casa Medina? Looking at TA it seems to be nice facilities, but very poor service.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:03 pm

Bogota?

Nope, I live around the corner so don't have much need for a hotel 3 blocks away.

Bad service is normal in Colombia, even in a hotel that claims to be 5 star. If you want something that resembles better service then you are probably better going for one of the international hotels where a degree of international training has been implemented. JW Marriott, Hilton and embassy suites are all in that same area.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:06 pm

Bogota?

Hang on, to clarify in case you are puzzled. Although I have never stayed at casa medina, I am a travel agent so have had the tour. Hence my comment that it seemed lovely.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Ahhh, ok. Thank you so much.

I'm not particularly "service needy", though I tend to stay in 4S when traveling. I see there's nothing in BOG that resembles these, so I'm trying to find out if the quality of the hard product at CM outweighs the negatives of the soft.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, for a first-time visitor is the neighborhood of CM a better staging area for the city, or would we perhaps be better off at someplace like the JW?

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2012, 8:03 pm

Ahhh, ok. Thank you so much.

I'm not particularly "service needy", though I tend to stay in 4S when traveling. I see there's nothing in BOG that resembles these, so I'm trying to find out if the quality of the hard product at CM outweighs the negatives of the soft.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, for a first-time visitor is the neighborhood of CM a better staging area for the city, or would we perhaps be better off at someplace like the JW?

Thanks!
OK in case I wasn't clear last time, the Casa Medina and the JWM are in the same area. Both off a major artery called Carrera 7. Although you may not imagine you want to stay on a major artery, EVERYTHING that you are likely to want to see is on the 7. East off Carrera 7 (within one block) is Casa Medina on Calle 70, then immediately behind Casa Medina on Calle 71 is the Embassy Suites. You then have Calle 72 which is the banking district. Just north of Calle 72 and actually on Carrera 7 is the hilton off on the west side of the road. Also off the west side tucked down calle 73 is the JWM.

Ask anyone where to stay in Bogotá and they will say near Parque 93, they are wrong, you should stay around Calle 72 con 7. 4 of Bogotá's best hotels cannot be wrong. I explained further in jackal's thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-planning.html

Under no circumstances consider staying in the Sheraton, The Marriott or Holiday Inn. They are for <redacted> that are probably going to the US embassy and don't actually want to go to Bogotá proper. Those 3 hotels are exactly half way between the airport and the embassy, a complete no man's land. Also don't think of staying in the Crowne Plaza Tequendama, it still has a big whole in the road in front of it and the area is swamped by tatty whores. The Dann hotels are none too shabby but they are generally in silly areas. The Estelar Fontana was once considered the best hotel in Bogotá, I don't know by who though. Haven't heard much about it lately but given their frequent offers, one would presume that people are not tripping over themselves to stay there. It is opposite the Clinica Santa Bibiana so an ideal hotel if you are thinking of having your gall bladder removed.

Of the 4 I suggested, the JWM has the best restaurant, but it also has Daniel Dine and Wine just up the road which is a nice restaurant too. Casa Medina and Hilton Embassy Suites are in the two streets with the best restaurants in the whole of Bogotá.

You posted in the luxury hotel thread, so you are clearly a discerning international traveller that possibly shuns the international brands. I would give Casa Medina a punt, that at least gives you something individual in a traditional building. As for the service, you will have to wait and see, but what is the worse that could happen?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2012 at 10:25 am Reason: redacted offensive term
Old May 29, 2012, 12:42 pm

I visited there about 3 years ago, traveled via Miami. The airport was improved and extended but immigration was still slow on arrival. The airport is clean with good security, good fast food restaurants and duty free shops. The airport is good but needs some improvements in service and atmosphere.

I stayed in Hotel Casa Medina Boogta, which is very expensive place. The hotel is very clean and comfortable and the services are good. It is one of the most classical hotel in Boogta and best for those who are interested in Boogta's hispanic traditions. Hotel is quite safe and they don't let anyone inside without invasion.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:03 pm

I am staying at Casa Medina in July-when are you going? It is my first trip to Colombia, so I don't have much information but I can report back about it.

Does anyone have recommendations for restaurants in Bogota? I am a chef, so good food is important to me. I enjoy both casual and fine dining spots as well as anything that would be a fun/interesting experience.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:19 pm

Hi cakegirl, wasn't it you that was tossing up between loads of different countries? Cool that you chose Colombia.

Like I already said, your hotel is in the thick of Bogotá's best restaurants, it is also the most expensive real estate too and won't necessarily represent great value for money if you are an aficionado of international cuisine.

Not in that area I'd suggest

Contemporary Colombian
Mini Mal
Salvo Patria (next door to each other, take your pick)

Italian
Abadia Colonial (in La Candelaria)

Fairly authentic Mexican
La Verdad in La Macarena

Traditional Colombian
Santa Clara on top of Cerro de Monserrate

International cuisine
Like I said J W Marriott over the road has a great restaurant and Daniel Dine and Wine on the other side of Cra 11 is good.

Semi Healthy
One of my favourites (actually near your hotel) is Suna, I go often for lunch, the greek salad is good fun, as are the soups

Tapas with a twist
Tapas with an international feel at Tapas Macarena

Peruvian
Don't bother, good but nowhere near as good as in Lima. If you cannot resist then Nazca is 3 blocks up from your hotel and is my favourite. You will have to book ahead

Meat
I think that is what they call their style of cuisine, El Boliche in La Macarena

To avoid
Restaurants in Parque 93 and La Zona Rosa are big business but don't represent great dining

If you pass a restaurant called La Bruja in La Candelaria and think to yourself "hmmm that looks nice" you'd be right, it does look nice but it is awful

If you want to do an Anthony Bourdain and get down and dirty with the street food then go to the Spetimazo on a Friday night. But watch your handbag
Old May 30, 2012, 9:18 pm

That was me- we are very excited for Colombia! Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. What are the street food specialties? Where is the best place in Bogota for a special meal to celebrate?
Old May 31, 2012, 12:58 am

Streetfood

Pinchos: skewer of grilled meat with a salty potato on the end
Empanadas: Chicken, beef, or a mixture with rice
Arepas: Maize patties with white corn and cheese, white corn with cheese on a log barbecue, yellow sweetcorn with cheese, flat white corn without cheese or flavour, little hockey puck ones that come with everything. Arepa de huevo: fried with an egg inside
Grilled corn: Meaty and starchy white corn with giant white grains
Unknown: I have never dared eat one but there is a combo of mini arepa, fried plantain and pork rind.
Fruit: Fruit is everywhere (I prefer my street food fried not raw)
Fruit salads: Here they come with cheese, unhealthy but it actually works!
Salpicón: pieces of tropical fruit in juice
Patacones: Plantain chips
Lechona: The king of street food, pulled pork, split yellow peas and rice all mixed up with pork fat and stuffed back inside a hollow pig. Served with pork crackling and an arepa
Buñuelos: Amazingly perfectly round dough balls deep fried
Pan de yuca: Crescent shaped breads made with casava flour
Pandebono: Delicious balls of chewy cheesy dough love
Almojábana: a more textured variety of pandebono
Candied coconut: At least I think that is what it is, never tried it
Churros: doughnut batter forced through a die and served in sugared loops

I forgot a suggestion above, the talk of the town at the moment is La Xarcutería, they make their own sausages, google them.

What are you celebrating and how decadent do you want to be? I will come up with some suggestions for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.