Search

Air Seychelles - RAF Brize Norton > Falkland Islands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ & QF
Air Seychelles - RAF Brize Norton > Falkland Islands

Hi,

I have family who are currently based in the Falkland Islands with the British Military. I am thinking about visiting. The flights go from RAF Brize Norton via the Ascension Island. and currently Air Seychelles operates the route using a Boeing 767.

Please can someone tell me what the aircraft is like? Are the seats any good? I assume there is not IFE? I not nothing about Air Seychelles, so anything would be handy.

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:17 pm

Smile On Air Seychelles

Air Seychelles: Code is HM. Flies 767s. Excellent safety record. They serving Falkland’s on a contract to Britain. Their usual destinations can be seen at:
http://www.airseychelles.com/en/plan...stinations.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Seychelles
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:11 am

Never heard of this route - can civilians fly it? Would be interesting to get some additional info.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Never heard of this route - can civilians fly it? Would be interesting to get some additional info.
Its been going for years. A Scottish Airline run it before, cant remember the name, they went bust though.

Someone the RAF take the route using L110 TriStars

Im pretty sure you can only fly it if you have relatives in the British Forces based out there or you are a resident of the Falklands. But im not 100%. I do know i will be able to fly having relatives in the forces.

Tickets are less than £150 return.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:15 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Civilians can fly on it.. just that locals get priority.
You can stopover in Ascension island on the way (but require a separate permit to visit).

http://www.falklandislands.com/contents/view/24

I've flown on a AirSeychelles 767 SEZ-CDG, and it was fine (No IFE) but it was 13 years ago.. so their seats may have changed since then.

and no miles of course..

Last edited by hauteboy; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Its been going for years. A Scottish Airline run it before, cant remember the name, they went bust though.

Someone the RAF take the route using L110 TriStars

Im pretty sure you can only fly it if you have relatives in the British Forces based out there or you are a resident of the Falklands. But im not 100%. I do know i will be able to fly having relatives in the forces.

Tickets are less than £150 return.
Used to be run by flyGlobespan before they went to the wall. Is the £150 rate maybe for MoD related people? This article in the times suggests it's more like £2200 return...
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:02 pm

More importantly - How much for business class and can you earn miles?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by raikje
Is the £150 rate maybe for MoD related people? This article in the times suggests it's more like £2200 return...
Yes it's a very expensive route to fly for a civilian.....the £150 must be for family of the forces serving there.

There is of course another way of getting there via Argentina/Chile then flying with LAN. Some very good value mile redemptions are available.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
More importantly - How much for business class and can you earn miles?
Not sure about J but not miles

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes it's a very expensive route to fly for a civilian.....the £150 must be for family of the forces serving there.

There is of course another way of getting there via Argentina/Chile then flying with LAN. Some very good value mile redemptions are available.
Yes its only that rate if you have family in the Forces.

LAN only fly to port Stanley once i month i think
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by FN-GM
LAN only fly to port Stanley once i month i think
Once a week, on a Saturday I think, SCL to MPN via PUQ and/or occasionally RGL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.