Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

A week in Santiago for School, any suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, USAir Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I will be traveling to Santiago with an MBA tour group and we will be there visiting companies for a week at the end of April. Any suggestions on places to eat? We will be staying at the Atton el Bosque, so restaurants in this area would be helpful. Also are there any particular dishes that you must try when visiting Chile? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You're not too far from Aquí Esta Coco and Astrid y Gaston. I've eaten at both, the first one twice (once with a group from FT!), and have been happy. However, my experience is a bit dated now, so you might want to check locally before you go. I don't think either has closed, though.

Also, not the kind of dining you asked about, but you absolutely must try a completo. If you're into drinking, there are some excellent local wines, and the pisco brandy is often used for pisco sours.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Efrem
You're not too far from Aquí Esta Coco and Astrid y Gaston. I've eaten at both, the first one twice (once with a group from FT!), and have been happy. However, my experience is a bit dated now, so you might want to check locally before you go. I don't think either has closed, though.

Aqui Esta Coco burned down and has been rebuilt/reopened recently.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
The El Bosque area of Las Condes, where I assume your hotel is, has many upscale restaurants. My favorite is Nolita, on Isidora Goyenechea. Also worth trying is Osaka in the W Hotel, also on Goyenechea. While you're at the W head up to the rooftop bar for an excellent view (but take a sweater, by late April the evenings will be getting cold). For a good steak try Happening, an Argentine steakhouse on Av. Apoquindo.

For something more down-to-earth try the El Liguria, which is near El Bosque, right around the corner from the Tobalaba metro station.

Chilean food is, traditionally, nothing to write home about, so it's difficult to recommend a typically "Chilean" dish that really stands out. The quality of restaurant fare generally is improving in Santiago, but most of it is fusion / international.

But if you want to try a really Chilean dessert, ask around for "mote con huesillo". I'm not going to tell you that it's especially good, but it's very very Chilean.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
But if you want to try a really Chilean dessert, ask around for "mote con huesillo". I'm not going to tell you that it's especially good, but it's very very Chilean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.