Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best time for both Machu Picchu and Uyunu Salt Flat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Gold Elite

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to visit MP and Salt Flat around between Oct. 2011 and Feb. 2012. And I am wondering when is the best for both.

I saw tons of pictures covered by water on the Salt Flat and took my entire attention. If I should select the only place on earth that I can visit, this will be. The utmost reason for this trip is to see this scenery on site. Machu Picchu is the next. Definitely rainy season for the Salt Flat but this also causes trouble to visit MP, right?

To compromise, thinking about visiting around Nov. or Dec. Is this still fine to see watery Salt Flat? Too early? Any tips will be appreciated.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Those are exactly the months of the rainy season at MP. The earlier you can go during that time period, though, the better. October usually means less rain. November and December mean a bit more, but are still usually doable. January and February can be torrential.

I'd say, for the balance you're looking for, November and December would work out.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:07 pm

I was in both MP and Uyuni Salt Lake back in december 2009:
-it was rainy in the MP (december 1st) in the morning and ok in the afternoon, even a bit a sun
-Uyuni Salt Lake was dry (a few days after MP) and unfortunately was not that sparkling....but it seems it was not usual for that period, since it has not been raining for a long time.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I see that train service to MP has just been suspended due to heavy rains, something that is always a risk in February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.