Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Questions about Montevideo/Punta del Este

Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot

Have done a search and found some things, but need more help and information.

I'm considering traveling for a week to Punta del Este in early August. Yes, I know it's winter, but it will be insanely hot in Indiana in August and I'm really looking forward to the break from the humidity and heat that time of year, and I wanna see the sea lions.

I'm curious about a few things-

a) is it safe for a single female traveler to go to Punta del Este and Montevideo?

b) I'm considering the timeshare exchange through Interval International- staying at Rincon del Este- anyone have any experience with this property and can give me a review or tell me about the quality of the location and the view from it?

c) how cold is cold? that is, will it be warm enough to walk on the beach wearing a coat?

d) will I be okay if I don't speak much Spanish?

Thanks!
GG
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
a) using basic common sense, you will be perfectly safe

b) Im afraid I cant help you with this one

c) Cold in Punta del Este is nothing compared to the cold you know from the States... with a coat you will be fine

d) Yes.. as long as you try to comunicate and understand that many people will not speak much English, you will be fine
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:01 pm

A) It's extremely safe.
B) Don't know it - the location will be better than most others if you're there in August.
C) Won't ever freeze (the climate is temperate with low's in the 40's) - so a coat will do. Though be advised that being a summer resort hotels may not have the heating you're used to.
D) English is very limited - finding English newspapers/magazines, etc. will be difficult. People are very friendly and accomodating so even if you don't speak any you'll still be fine.

To be frank - I would strongly advise against going to Punta in August (Uruguayans will even think you're mad) - the place will be completely dead and unles you like to read you'll be exteremely bored - many of the hotels and restaurants will be closed as well. I'm fairly sure your timeshare will be deserted. Sorry - but Uruguay is not a (sub)tropical country and tourism to Punta is (extremely) seasonal.

If you want to have an interesting experience stick to montevideo (which I find has quite a lot to see/do). You could possibly add a trip to a Colonia or a ranch and ride horses with the gauchos (though few might be open). Or spend a day or two in Argentina (an easy ferry ride away) and also very safe if you take regular big city precautions.

In my view it would be a shame to travel all that way and see/do very little of interest except for the sea lions.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:03 pm

All of the above, and, I'm not even sure you'll see the sea lions at this time of year. They do a bit of migrating, and in mid-winter you may find that even they've deserted Punta...
Old May 6, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Geogirl, did you complete this trip and if so, can you share how your experience was? I am looking to take a similar trip as you and would like to know how it went for you. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.