Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Easter Island -- my experience

Easter Island -- my experience

Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:29 pm

I went to Easter Island last week and I found iadphx's assessment of the place very accurate. I did think it was worth the trip out there. Seeing the moai in person is magnificent and I enjoyed the experience of being in an incredibly remote place.

I spent 3 days there and that was about the right amount of time for me. It takes about 2 days to see all the moai that can be seen from the public roads and to visit Rongo Raku and Orango parks. The third day is great for spending around the small village and relaxing. If I spent more time there, I'd probably go horseback riding or take a tour into the harder-to-access northern part of the island. Otherwise, there isn't much to do on the island.

So if you're trying to figure out how much time to spend there, I'd plan on at least 2 days if you want to see everything in a hurry; 3 days if going at a relaxed pace. Maybe 4-5 days tops if you're going to do a lot of extra activities like surfing, hiking or relaxing on one of the two small beaches. More then that and you'll probably just end up bored.

One issue I ran into was getting cash on the island. Pretty much everyone is cash-only; credit cards are rarely accepted by merchants. The island has 3 ATMs- two in the village and one at the airport. All three will take cards on the Cirrus (Mastercard) network, two will accept Visa cards. In my case, I had a Visa-branded debit card, but one ATM was not working, the other wouldn't take my card and I didn't find out about the airport ATM until a few hours before I left the island. Fortunately, most everyone also accept US currency as well.

Food-wise, the island doesn't have much to offer. I checked a bag filled with water bottles and snack food when I went and I'm glad I did. While the water on the island is drinkable, having water bottles was handy when trekking outside of the village. The small grocery stores scattered around the island do not have very much to offer- mostly pasta, bags of flour, some meat and not a whole lot more. When my friend and I wanted to make some sandwiches for dinner, we never found sandwich-type items (I ended up making a lousy spaghetti instead). The restaurants on the island are good but not spectacular- most are seafood-type places. For the quality, the food is overpriced which goes for pretty much everything else on the island. It's the price of visiting a remote island where everything has to be flown/shipped in.

I stayed in one of the local guesthouses and it was basic and unimpressive. It had beds, plumbing, no air conditioning and not much else. And most of the other guesthouses in the area seemed to be in a similar condition. Luxury housing it's not. I found it bearable for 3 days but I'm not going to miss that place.

Easter Island fits in well as part of a larger travel itinerary. It's a long way to go otherwise just to visit one little island. The weather is pleasant, but as iahphx mentions, the sun is fierce (and I live in the "sunshine state"!).

Was the island worth the visit? Yes. Seeing the stone heads in person has been a dream for me since I was a child so I was glad I could fulfill it. If you enjoy tropical islands, ruins, or weird unsolved mysteries, then you'll probably enjoy Easter Island as well. If you don't, then just look at lots of moai pictures and you'll get the gist of the place without needing to fly all the way over there.

Thanks again to iahphx for their detailed report. It helped me quite a bit in planning my trip there.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the interesting report, LizzyDragon.

I think your assessment of "how much time to spend" squares with my experience. The main reason I spent 5 days is because it's so far away and I didn't think we'd ever return. You don't need 5 days to "see everything." It just enables you to "take it easy" and observe life in a very remote and different place.

I think I might have enjoyed the "off road" day hike to see remote moai. I didn't try it because we had our kids and the sun was fierce (no shade on that walk!). Perhaps in non-summer it would be pleasant. It would be interesting to read a report.

As far as finding sandwich supplies, you could go to the Kanina market that I mentioned which is near the airport. They would have some packaged meats, cheeses. spreads, etc. But the price would be so high and the selection so limited (and probably not too appetizing), that I would just head to one of the stands near the soccer field and buy a sandwich or empanada(much tastier and probably less expensive).

We did bring some salami and cheese from mainland Chile with us, and were glad we did. Chile doesn't have a great charcuterie tradition, so don't expect fabulous cold cuts, but it sure beat whatever you could buy on the island, for a fraction of the price. There are a lot of small bakeries selling warm bread in town at reasonable prices, so you just need to bring the "fillings" with you to the island.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
iahphx,

It is after April 9. Do you know anywhere to find an update on the construction status @ IPC?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
iahphx,

It is after April 9. Do you know anywhere to find an update on the construction status @ IPC?
Sorry, I haven't seen anything about whether LAN is still reducing its flight operations due to the work.

I guess you could try to check LAN's website and see what flights they are operating.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Already done so. Still no lima - IPC non-stop.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Already done so. Still no lima - IPC non-stop.
I thought the LIM suspension was a different issue from the runway work at IPC. Those are supposed to be suspended until November, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they never return.
Old May 21, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Wow, thanks, OP. This was a great post and now I know the best way to plan for this trip in 2012. I'll make sure to share my own experiences once I get back.

Does anyone know if the construction being done in IPC will lead to reciprocity fees being collected in 2012? I'm looking to skip SCL and go straight to EZE to save me some money on this journey.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrluis
Wow, thanks, OP. This was a great post and now I know the best way to plan for this trip in 2012. I'll make sure to share my own experiences once I get back.

Does anyone know if the construction being done in IPC will lead to reciprocity fees being collected in 2012? I'm looking to skip SCL and go straight to EZE to save me some money on this journey.
I think it improbable that they will collect the reciprocity fee at IPC. I think your big risk is that there will not be any Lima flights.

I did see a "master plan" for a modern terminal to be built at IPC, but I don't think that's what they're doing there now. I suppose if they spend a gazillion dollars on a new terminal (which seems insane, given that there's only a couple flights a day!), maybe they'll want to start charging reciprocity (although I think it still improbable).
Old May 29, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
My trip to Easter Island was 2 years ago. Here are a couple of observations that I haven't seen earlier in this thread:

1. When you get off the plane and walk into the terminal, there are at least a dozen tables with locals offering lodging. I wanted someplace cheap, and a lady offered a bed in a dorm for $15 USD per night, or a cabin for $30. I took the cabin, which was one room and a bathroom. The room had see-through curtains, one twin bed and one chair...OK for the 2 nights I was there. A large unpleasant dog slept on the ground right outside my door, and he growled menacingly at anyone who got near. This happened to several people stumbling around in the dark, including me. In retrospect, I think I should have fed him something to gain his allegiance.
2. For those who live in the Northern Hemisphere, be sure to go outside and look for the Southern Cross...you're not likely to find a darker sky anywhere.
3. I was told that groceries are delivered to the island once a week by ferry, and the locals stock up for the week on that day. When I went to the grocery store there were some empty shelves. Everything was very expensive.
4. Everyone (except the aforementioned dog) was very friendly.

I paid for my flights, and felt that my stay on the island was worth it. For those with BA miles, I'd say that you definitely should not miss the opportunity to see this unique place.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:44 am

A slightly different take ...

I went for a week end of April 2011 and would have gladly stayed another week. One of the guys staying at my hotel had been there for a week in 2007 and came back for an 18 day stay this time. If you just want to be a tourist, 3-4 days is sufficient to hit the main points with either a rental car or a few well timed tours. Staying longer and being open to different experiences gets you invited into homes and lives. Crime against foreigners is almost unheard of so on the advice of locals I accepted rides by strangers if offered - I'd never hitch hike at home but here it provided me some of my best experiences (and I should add I am a solo female traveller in her early 30s).

Everyone complains of how expensive it is, but I think that's only if you are desensitized by South American standards. Compared that way, yes, Rapa Nui is pricey. However, compared to Vancouver prices, it's about the same to eat a good meal out. High-end dining, no, but a good dinner+desert+wine+coffee for one $40 is totally reasonable in my mind. You have to keep in mind they are in the middle of no where. I fully expected it to cost a lot more.

As for accommodation I paid $15/night (in part due to the longer duration of a weekly stay) for a basic hotel room, clean but not exceptionally well lit and only a fan (no ac), no tv, but a fully breakfast included and right in the "center of town". I think that was more than fair!

More specific tips:
- as mentioned by the OP buy your park pass right when you land (even before you get your luggage), this saves you $10 and although it is only good for 5 days, they do not validate it until you go to Rano Raraku (carving quarry) or Orongo (village) - both of which are only allowed to be visited once
-instead of going to Orongo with a tour, consider walking there from town - just bring water and sunscreen but be forewarned, there are no toilets at the top
-Hetu'u is a great little restaurant, if a bit farther toward the airport than a lot of the other places. Well worth the walk for the food and the staff.
-Matato'a does a very entertaining "traditional" show + dinner, but it does have a strong rock influence at some times - the food is delicious though!

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any specific questions, I don't make it back to this forum often ... until my next trip anyways!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some of you guys have gotten great lodging deals! I don't think this is the norm though, at least for places that a "typical" flyertalker would be comfortable staying at.

I do think it confirms my suspicion that it's best to book accomodations on the island, as it will be materially cheaper than anything you could arrange in advance.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: CO - Gold
you guys are stars. Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I've wanted to go to Easter Island for ages, and thanks to the magic of BA miles, I'm going in March 2012... I can hardly wait that long! Really appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As many folks know, using BA miles from the USA is generally the best way to get to Easter Island because it's considered "regular" South America. A coach ticket, for example, is only 40,000 miles on BA.

Because of this, I thought I'd mention that, through the end of July, you get a 50% bonus by transferring AMEX Membership Rewards miles to BA. Like my wife and I each got 50,000 AMEX MR recently in a credit card sign-up. So we're converting this in a family account to 150,000 BA miles.

Not that we plan to return to Easter Island with these miles. Once was enough, especially for one year! I did look at the possibility of using Easter Island as a "back door" to Tahiti -- where award travel tends to be very expensive. I thought LAN's Easter Island/Tahiti redemption wasn't that expensive, but when I priced it last week it was 64,000 kilometers roundtrip in coach. Not compelling at that price.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:11 am

For those going to Easter Island from the US using BA miles, I have 2 questions:
1. Do I have to fly from a major hub (say ORD) in order to just use the 40,000 for round trip coach or can I fly from MSN to ORD and then on (since it would involve 2 partner carriers)?

2. Can anyone state what the fuel surcharges and taxes were for their flight?

My kids have never flown before and I'd love to take them on a unique trip for their first time (and I've only been to London, Paris and Mexico as far as being out of the US, so this would be really nice for me).

I would like to do US - Lima - Easter Island - Buenos Aires (but probably not enough time) - US if possible. I'd like to see Machu Pichu. We're looking at 10 - 15 days total travel with 3 - 4 of it actually on Easter Island. Perhaps given the travel time we won't have enough time to do even that.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvdapex
For those going to Easter Island from the US using BA miles, I have 2 questions:
1. Do I have to fly from a major hub (say ORD) in order to just use the 40,000 for round trip coach or can I fly from MSN to ORD and then on (since it would involve 2 partner carriers)?

2. Can anyone state what the fuel surcharges and taxes were for their flight?

My kids have never flown before and I'd love to take them on a unique trip for their first time (and I've only been to London, Paris and Mexico as far as being out of the US, so this would be really nice for me).

I would like to do US - Lima - Easter Island - Buenos Aires (but probably not enough time) - US if possible. I'd like to see Machu Pichu. We're looking at 10 - 15 days total travel with 3 - 4 of it actually on Easter Island. Perhaps given the travel time we won't have enough time to do even that.
How old are your kids? Unless they're at least tweens, I don't think Easter Island would be a good destination for them.

Somebody could look, but I also don't think the Lima flights have been reinstated. And I suspect they never will be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.