Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 1, 10, 12:25 am   #1

Programs: SQ KF
Culinary Capital of South America?

In your opinion, which is the culinary capital of South America? And what food is it well known for?

Will be visiting there for the first time in March '11.

Thanks!
tshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 10, 12:37 am   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshep View Post
In your opinion, which is the culinary capital of South America? And what food is it well known for?

Will be visiting there for the first time in March '11.

Thanks!
Lima Peru
Fish
bruceba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 10, 10:34 am   #3
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

Never been to South America, but everything I've heard on the subject seems to concur that Lima is the place to go for food.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 10, 4:14 pm   #4

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Agree, Lima, Peru by a long shot.
AAEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 10, 7:46 pm   #5
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
Yet another vote for Lima. I can't wait to get back there in January
Old Nov 4, 10, 1:34 pm   #6

Programs: AA EXP/CK; DL DM; US CP; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; National Exec and others
If you cannot make it to Lima try any Nobu anywhere. Nobu learned much of his craft in Lima and a good deal of his menu's are Lima-style. Lima has a delightful blend of Japanese and local influences that is really hard to beat.

I want to advocate Rio de Janeiro, which has some wonderful food. Nothing to match Lima, though. If you do not like seafood then you've an entirely new search to make.
jbcarioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 10, 8:59 pm   #7

Programs: SQ KF
Thanks everyone. I love seafood, so Lima seems a unanimous choice.
tshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 10, 2:43 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I trust all the Lima supporters have sampled the food in all the other large cities of S America?

I haven't been but I have heard the seafood in Santiago is very good.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 10, 3:56 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I trust all the Lima supporters have sampled the food in all the other large cities of S America?

I haven't been but I have heard the seafood in Santiago is very good.
Fish and seafood in Chile can be very very good. But it is (generally) a simple cuisine.
Eastbay1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 10, 4:22 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Yes to HIDDY's question, almost monthly.
Peruvian seafood is generally prepared on a much higher gastronomic (and often eclectic) level that its neighbor to the South. The sheer variety of dishes and ingredients is also quite impressive.
Try a cevice in Santiago and then compare it to one served in Lima and you will know.
AAEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 10, 4:29 pm   #11

Programs: AA LTPlt, 3MM
Lima is definitely up there and one of my favourites. However Buenos Aires offers a number of excellent restaurants as well. Much beyond meat. It should not be discarded. Another place that is up and coming is Bogota. Sao Paulo and Rio also have their bright spots but in general over rated and expensive.
pjbillez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 10, 6:09 pm   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing I can safely say is don't come to Buenos Aires for its fish or seafood cuisine. I shall have to catch a flight to Lima by the look of it.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 10, 5:38 am   #13

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Thumbs up ¡Lima!

Lima is the place for food in SA, no question, especially if you're after good seafood. Note, traditionally seafood is eaten at lunch, while it's still fresh (it having been caught that same morning). The "cebicherías" open around noon and, especially on the weekends, close as late as 5pm. So it's a relaxed affair.

Here are some suggestions for a good seafood lunch if you decide to go to Lima:
  1. La Mar, on Av. La Mar in Miraflores. Cebichería of the famous chef and Peruvian cuisine ambassador Gastón Acurio.
  2. Pescados Capitales, also on Av. La Mar a few blocks down from La Mar.
  3. Taller de Cocina Los Cavenecia, in Surquillo near the main intersection of Av. Angamos & Av. Aviación. Hard to find, in a house with no sign out front, but worth the search.
  4. Francesco, on the Malecón in Miraflores. Dated decor but excellent food.
  5. Alfresco, in central Miraflores near Parque Kennedy.
  6. Kapallaq, on Petit Thouars in Miraflores. Northern style seafood.
  7. Segundo Muelle, a chain with outlets throughout Lima. Good food if not quite as upscale as the ones listed above.
  8. Punta Sal, another good chain.
  9. And if you want to slum it, head out to Av. Rosa Toro which connects Canadá and Javier Prado, just east of Av. San Luis. This street features a string of boisterous cebicherías with decent food and excellent prices. Best if you have a strong stomach though as cleanliness is not necessarily up to western standards.

There are also a lot of excellent dinner restaurants scattered throughout the upscale districts of Miraflores, San Isidro and San Borja. Ask around.
Siempre Viajando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 10, 9:06 am   #14
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I agree that Lima is the Mecca for Foodies these days.... however, I think that three other cities in South America also have excellent highlights that a serious foodie should not miss out on.... these three other cities being:

Buenos Aires
Sao Paulo
Santiago de Chile
Old Nov 9, 10, 12:31 pm   #15

Programs: AA EXP/CK; DL DM; US CP; Hilton Diamond; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; National Exec and others
I'm surprised Gaucho did not add Rio de Janeiro. Two of the finest French restaurants anywhere are in Rio, led by Olympe with Claude Troisgros. There is no better pizza on the planet than one finds at Capriciossa, and it is hard to beat No Mangue for the spicy seafood concoctions of the northeast.

They are all expensive (our favorite pizza is US$55 at current rates), as are those of Sao Paulo, because the Real is so very strong. Moscow, long famed for high prices and a frequent destination for me, now is cheaper than Brazil. Five years ago with the US$ worth four Reais Brazil was very cheap for the rest of the world. Now we go to NYC because it is cheap.

So if money is an issue the red meat and delightful wines of BA coupled with the seafood of Lima and both in Santiago beat anything in Brazil for value. Price independent, we have some wonderful choices.
jbcarioca is offline   Reply With Quote