Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Chile - Banks that do not charge ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

I know they were mentioned in a previous thread that I can't seem to find. (The data may be stale now.) Anyway, a current list would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
From an in the know Chile expat site:

LAST UPDATED, TUESDAY, 25 MAY

Yes
Santander - 2500 pesos
Banco Edwards - 2500 pesos
Banco de Chile - 2500 pesos
BBVA - 2500 pesos
BCI - 3300 pesos
Corp Banca (related to Banco Condell) PLUS ONLY - 2500 pesos
Banco Condell (part of Corp Banca) PLUS ONLY

No
Banco de Desarrollo (related to Scotiabank)
Scotiabank (related to Banco de Dessarolo) no fee reported 19 MAY
Banco Itaú still no fee reported 08 APRIL
Banco Estado CIRRUS ONLY still no fee reported 19 MAY
BICE no fee reported
Banco Security no fee reported 24 MAY
NOTE: There will be a warning before agreeing to completing the transaction that a Chile side fee will be charged. Latest rumor is BCI has increased their charge.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:19 pm

Writing from SCL. Both Scotiabank and BICE now have the same stupid Redbanc fee for 2500 CLP. Also, we tried 3 or 4 ATMs and were limited to 200k CLP per withdrawl. We couldn't find a place without a fee but my credit union reimburses 4 ATM fees per month.

Legalized highway robbery!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Try Banco Security or BancoEstado.

http://southernconeguidebooks.blogsp...atagonian.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
HA, I know the expat forum where that blogger got this scoop from which was first officially posted nearly a month ago!

Other details, BancoEstado is Cirrus-system only and not all Banco Security branches have an ATM machine.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Banco Estado is still on the good list, although it may be a list of one. The transaction rate was within CL$1 of the interbank rate for today.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:59 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I haven't been told once during the last two weeks that I will be charged an additional fee. Let's see what happens when I log into my online banking next week. I used only Santander cash machines. Mrs Johnny got thumped with a CLP 3000 fee at the Banco de Chile ATM at PMC. Banco Estado doesn't seem to work when I try it
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any updates to this info a year later?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:22 am

Last men standing with the same caveats:

Banco Security (and not all branches have ATMs).

Banco Estado (Cirrus-only). Their ATMs can also found at malls and Lider supermarkets.

Special cases:

BoA card at a Chile Scotiabank ATM waives per use fees on both ends.

Cards like Schwab which reimburse per use fees.

High-end cards that are fee free all around.

Highest fee (CLP $4.000) has been reported at a BCI ATM. Do not use a BCI ATM if you have other options. The others will be CLP $2500 to $3000 or so.

Personally, I only use Banco Estado ATMs. The max per withdraw is also higher there at $300.000 vs. $200.000 at the others.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
In late-November, I managed to withdraw CLP 400.000 in one transaction at Banco Estado in Punta Arenas.

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Personally, I only use Banco Estado ATMs. The max per withdraw is also higher there at $300.000 vs. $200.000 at the others.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HLS2002
In late-November, I managed to withdraw CLP 400.000 in one transaction at Banco Estado in Punta Arenas.
Looks like they have them in both Viña and Pto. Montt. I'll just remember to ask for Banco Estaow, if I'm asking for directions
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any updates to this info a year later?

Was in Chile last month, all the ATMs I used charged a 3000 peso withdrawal fee and had a 200, 000 peso limit.

I had read about Banco Estado before I left home but as my ATM cards are on the Plus network I was not able to use the Banco Estado ATMs. If wasn't feasible to get an ATM card on the Cirrus Network before leaving.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:12 pm

Update on ATM access fees in Chile

This is my experience on Chilean ATM fees as at 6 Jan 2014.

I have been using an Australian issued Mastercard credit card (28 Degrees card) for some time in Chile. It does not have the ATM network printed on it but I believe that it uses the Cirrus network.

I have been using this card over the past several years on a fairly regular basis (once a month or so) and have tried many banks' ATMs, including the biggies, Banco de Chile, Santander, ATMs with Redbank network etc and have found that the only bank that does NOT have an owners fee declared at the time of a cash advance was BancoEstado (I had never tried Banco Security before - more on this later).

For this reason, this was the only ATM brand that I used because it had no owners fee. However, about 6 months ago, that all changed when they started to charge CLP2500 as an owners fee. At the time and since, I have not been aware of ANY banks ATM that did not have an owners fee.

Since then I have got an Australian based Citibank VISA debit card which uses the Plus network. Again with this card I have tried many different banks' ATMs including Banco de Chile, BancoEstado, Santander, BCI and Falabella. Either they do not work or they charge an owners fee of up to CLP4000!

The ONLY bank that I know of now in Chile that does not have an owners fee as of 6 Jan 2014 is Banco Security. This is true at least for the Visa debit card that I have. It coud be different for other cards of course. I have not tried my other above mentioned Mastercard credit card since my issuing bank introduced a 3% charge on cash advances from 1 Jan 2014, so I do not use it for this purpose any more.

So in summary, I would be trying only Banco Security as possibly the only bank in Chile now with no owners fee as of the date of this post. The only problem with this is that their ATMs are much harder to find than the big banks. Check their website to find locations however.

Bye the way, I always load up my credit ( and debit cards obviousely) with funds before making withdrawals so that I am using my own money, to minimise interest costs etc.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by gocat9
So in summary, I would be trying only Banco Security as possibly the only bank in Chile now with no owners fee as of the date of this post. The only problem with this is that their ATMs are much harder to find than the big banks. Check their website to find locations however.
RE: BancoEstado (Cirrus-only), BE is still fee free, I use it every week, the last time on 3 January.

Update: reports coming in that the B of A card is no longer Chile-side fee free at Scotiabank/Banco de Desarrollo ATMs.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:32 pm

The following are the fees encountered at various ATMs with an Australian ING Direct VISA card:

Banco Estado - does not work
BBVA - 3,000 pesos
BCI - 4,000 pesos
Banco de Chile - 3,000 pesos
Scotiabank - 3,500 pesos
Santander - 3,000 pesos

The above fees combined with a ridiculously archaic rule limiting the maximum withdrawal per day at 200,000 pesos makes withdrawing money from ATMs in Chile an expensive exercise.

Unlike other countries, the limit cannot be overridden by a teller within the bank requesting a one-off authorisation for an increased daily withdrawal limit.

My suggestion is to find another way to access your money if visiting Chile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.