Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Chile - Banks that do not charge ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chile - Banks that do not charge ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, we've now learned you're not a high society socialite.
I prefer to say that I'm "down to earth" even though I'm often at 35,000 feet...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hello. First time going to Chile (or Latin America for that matter). Have traveled around Asia and Europe. I usually take no local currency and rely on debit card to withdraw from ATM on arrival. It has served me well so far. But given the discussion about lack of cash at some ATMs, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get some CLP at home. I would get it from Chase which builds in about 3% fee to the conversion rate (so I don't want to get it unless it is advisable).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by italdesign
Hello. First time going to Chile (or Latin America for that matter). Have traveled around Asia and Europe. I usually take no local currency and rely on debit card to withdraw from ATM on arrival. It has served me well so far. But given the discussion about lack of cash at some ATMs, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get some CLP at home. I would get it from Chase which builds in about 3% fee to the conversion rate (so I don't want to get it unless it is advisable).
I was able to get cash at Chile ATMs 1 year ago. The issue is that they limit the withdrawal amount (it's not a lack of cash but rather a small amount per transaction). So I had to pull out money like 5 times in a row at the same ATM.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Appears I never got around to updating this thread.

Banco Security ATMs are the only ones now that do not charge a Chile-side Fee.

Banco Estado ATMs now charge a 4000 pesos per withdraw fee and accept Plus system cards but remain free of the 200000 pesos per withdraw limit of the other banks with reports of up to 600000+ pesos per withdraw back when the exchange rate was 700+. Banco Estado ATMs can be found at BancoEstado branches, Serviestado branches, Lider (Walmart) supermarkets and malls.

ATMs can become short of cash during weekends and especially long holiday weekends (there is nearly one every month not counting the summer break months).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:04 am

Security bank

I have a plain jane atm cirrus card and it has worked fine, no fee charged with security bank. As yesterday they are charging 4500!! I did not try more than the 200000 max per transaction. I will try Estado bank today.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:09 pm

Banco internacional

Banco internacional does not charge a fee and BICE charge 2500.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: USair BA DL AA
Some ATMs have different fees depending on your home bank. For example BofA is part of the the Global alliance with Scotiabank so they charge a 3% currency fee but a low or no atm fee (if that makes sense).
Bank of America is a member of the Global ATM Alliance, a group of financial institutions that has created the world's first international ATM alliance.

From BofA website:
Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card within the Global ATM Alliance to avoid the non-Bank of America usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry,footnote1 as well as the ATM operator access fee. An international transaction fee of 3% will apply when converting your currency.footnote2 Only ATMs in the countries listed below are considered part of the Global ATM Alliance.Global ATM Alliance PartnersCoverage AreaBarclaysLayerUnited Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel IslandsABSASouth AfricaBNP ParibasLayerFranceBNL D'ItaliaLayerItalyUkrSibbankLayerUkraineTEBLayerTurkeyDeutsche BankLayerGermany and SpainScotiabankLayerCanada, Mexico, Peru, Chile and the Caribbean including: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands and U.S. Virgin IslandsWestpac BankLayerAustralia and New Zealand
In addition, Bank of America has a special partnerships with a bank in China where you can avoid the non-Bank of America usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiryfootnote1, as well as the ATM operator access fee. An international transaction fee of 3% will apply when converting your currency.footnote2Additional PartnersCoverage AreaChina Construction BankLayerMainland China, excluding Hong KongNote: Participation in this program is subject to change, please review participating Financial Institutions prior to travelling internationally and using International Partner ATMs.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by Maria Alvarez
Banco internacional does not charge a fee and BICE charge 2500.
Thanks for this data point. It is consistent with a couple of other sources I saw that seemed to be around Nov/Dec 2017.

Does anyone know if Banco Internacional still does not charge fees and/or if it only has two ATMs in Santiago (El Golf area of Las Condes or in downtown Santiago near Metro stations Santa Lucia or Universidad de Chile, addreses: La Pastora 128 and Moneda 818)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just back from a trip in which I took our some ATM money at a Punta Arenas ATM in bank:

$74.82 withdrawal, $8.31 reimbursed (fee of 11.11% )

Appears that there was a 5000 CLP charge for the withdrawal.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:37 am

My experience in Chile is $6-8 ATM fee per transaction. It is good to have a free Charles Schwab or Summit bank ATM cards which refund all the fees.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:47 pm

recent experience: Santander at SCL $5k, Banco Estado in Lanco (indoor ATM used during banking hours) $4k, tried both Visa and PLUS cards with the same results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.