Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Experience with SAA Express Skycheck for carryon bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming trip to Namibia but am flying LH from IAH to JNB and then SAA Express from JNB to WVB and the reverse for the return. I am a professional photographer and will be carrying some camera gear in a roller bag as well as a backpack with computer and other small comfort items. While my roller bag which is specially designed for photo gear meets the length, width and height measurements it will most likely exceed 8kg. Checking it with bags at the ticketing gate is not an option. From what I have seen it is a Canada Air Regional Jet 700 so not too big.

The SSA Express website says they have a cart for checking cabin baggage if it does not meet the standard called Skycheck, it says you will get it back upon landing but I know that sometimes what is written doesn't happen. Wonder if anyone else is familiar with Skycheck? I am OK with it if it is as we board the plane but I just want to make sure when I head home that I get the bag when we land at the gate and it doesn't go to the baggage claim for checked bags. I don't want to risk my cameras going astray.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
I have an upcoming trip to Namibia but am flying LH from IAH to JNB and then SAA Express from JNB to WVB and the reverse for the return. I am a professional photographer and will be carrying some camera gear in a roller bag as well as a backpack with computer and other small comfort items. While my roller bag which is specially designed for photo gear meets the length, width and height measurements it will most likely exceed 8kg. Checking it with bags at the ticketing gate is not an option. From what I have seen it is a Canada Air Regional Jet 700 so not too big.

The SSA Express website says they have a cart for checking cabin baggage if it does not meet the standard called Skycheck, it says you will get it back upon landing but I know that sometimes what is written doesn't happen. Wonder if anyone else is familiar with Skycheck? I am OK with it if it is as we board the plane but I just want to make sure when I head home that I get the bag when we land at the gate and it doesn't go to the baggage claim for checked bags. I don't want to risk my cameras going astray.
Yes, you'll get it back at the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.