Luggage Allowance

Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Luggage Allowance

I begin my trip next week in economy:

JFK-JNB-CPT-PLZ-JNB-VFA-JNB-IAD

I am trying to figure out how much my luggage can weigh.

For my checked luggage (1 piece) I thought I had seen 50 pounds but my travel agent is saying 44 pounds.y

For my carry on luggage can I have both a purse and a carry-on? I was unsure of this part. I thought I had seen where it could weigh 18 pounds but my travel agent is saying 14 pounds.

I am trying to pack now and want to make sure I will be within the rules.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:00 am

It is available on their website...

http://www.flysaa.com/lv/en/flyingSA...edBaggage.html
http://www.flysaa.com/us/en/flyingSA...ndBaggage.html
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:38 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
yeah just look at that convoluted disaster of a website. it's there somwhere. never heard of a 44lb bag limit

fyi sa is chilled when it comes to carry on both at us and rsa stations. south africans domestically always check and travel light on carry on. but i did get pinched a couple times at the door of the plane trying to board with 2x carry on *shrug*.

the real issue is why you packing so much stuff going TO africa
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
44 pounds is 20kg. (one kg is 2.2 pounds).
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out where my travel agent got the 44 pound amount for checked baggage. One of the legs is on South African Express and they don't allow as much baggage. I don't have a problem with 44 pounds. I doubt I will come anywhere close to that as I do plan on packing light. The carry on limit was what I was struggling with. In the US, as long as a bag is the proper size, it doesn't matter how much it weighs.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by mfanderso
Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out where my travel agent got the 44 pound amount for checked baggage. One of the legs is on South African Express and they don't allow as much baggage. I don't have a problem with 44 pounds. I doubt I will come anywhere close to that as I do plan on packing light. The carry on limit was what I was struggling with. In the US, as long as a bag is the proper size, it doesn't matter how much it weighs.
If departing from any airport in SA the Airport Company of South Africa (ACSA) hand baggage weight limit is 7kg per piece.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There are reports somewhere in FT about enforcement of the hand baggage weight limit. Evidently it is generally not enforced.

Let me know as I am flying out of JNB on Sept 7
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
There are reports somewhere in FT about enforcement of the hand baggage weight limit. Evidently it is generally not enforced.

Indeed checking hand baggage weight variable but a gamble - usually not checked but I have been on occasion..
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:09 am
Company Representative, SAA

Originally Posted by mfanderso
Dear mfanderso:

Thank you for choosing South African Airways.

You can locate our baggage allowance, as well as optional service fees via the following URL - https://preview.flysaa.com/manage-fl...l-service-fees.

As you mentioned, if you are traveling with other carriers, there may be different baggage allowance rules on that airline. We can help to clarify your specific baggage allowance if you contact our Customer Call Center (1-800-722-9675) and provide your booking details.

Once again, thank you for choosing South African Airways.

South African Airways - North America
1 (800) 722-9675
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:07 pm

Hand luggage enforcement info at ACSA airports.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...gulations.html
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:45 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
In my experience, most of the cabin bag enforcement comes at the podium when you are being boarded for your flight. I have had ground staff attempt to tag it there, then ask me to drop it on the bridge (JNB domestic). You can probably sneak it on if you are using a jet bridge and do not have to take a bus to a non gate position.

Widely variable as Air Nambia didn't care at all when I flew with them (CPT/WDH/MUB).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca

I have had several flights over the past week. So far my hand luggage hasn't been weighed. The smallest plane was from CPT to PLZ and they weren't weighing any hand luggage.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Our trip is not until 2017. TA paperwork says Botswana flights are limited to 44# pp, total of all luggage (PP), checked and carry on! Checked luggage needs to be soft sided. We are flying into Botswana from JNB. Not flying out. We hope we then are not on that restriction. Other flights allow 2 bags check up to 50# each! WOW, no problem with half that. No charge for luggage that complies, even in coach.

Anyone confirm?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I was looking at the SAA website in an attempt to figure out what the excess baggage charges are for flights inside South Africa. I can't seem to find it. We will be flying on award tickets to JNB in 2017 and I plan on purchasing separate SAA tickets for the segments JNB-HDS and HDS-CPT.

We will be able to deal with the 20 kg limit on luggage but I have a portable CPAP machine that I would like to take on board as a second piece of hand luggage.

Is there a SAA policy for taking medical devices or will this be considered excess baggage? I did a search on CPAP in this forum and it returned no hits.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
"A Passenger owned Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine is permitted. (Note: This CPAP machine must be battery operated)" There doesn't seem to be an additional charge for medical equipment carried by passengers.

https://www.flysaa.com/cm/en/flyingS...avelNeeds.html

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was looking at the SAA website in an attempt to figure out what the excess baggage charges are for flights inside South Africa. I can't seem to find it. We will be flying on award tickets to JNB in 2017 and I plan on purchasing separate SAA tickets for the segments JNB-HDS and HDS-CPT.

We will be able to deal with the 20 kg limit on luggage but I have a portable CPAP machine that I would like to take on board as a second piece of hand luggage.

Is there a SAA policy for taking medical devices or will this be considered excess baggage? I did a search on CPAP in this forum and it returned no hits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.