Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

Most smoker-friendly hotel chain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most smoker-friendly hotel chain?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
HNL - consider the Pacific Beach hotel. Not very special, but a good location. Used them twice now (TR in my sig).
OGG - soon to be using the Ka'anapali which has some smoking rooms ... at least, on your balcony/lanai if you keep the room door closed.

The Battle goes on!!
Thanks for the tip. Next week I am staying at the Royal Lahaina. When I originally booked they had smoking rooms. I called yesterday and they said you have to go out in the parking lot. I was going to book The Kaanapali, but they are sold out.

Then staying 1 night at King Kamehameha. Last time I could not even smoke in the parking lot, had to go out on the sidewalk. Then on to the Hapuna Prince. They say they have "designated" smoking areas. Such a huge property, I hope it doesn't mean half a mile up the hill by the road.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I am surprised that no chain sets aside one hotel in each city where it has multiple properties and advertises that in that particular hotel smoking is allowed in all the rooms.

I suspect that it would be booked solid throughout the year even if it were somewhat over-priced.

Even if only 10% of travelers want smoking rooms, this hotel would have such a monopoly on them that it would have to turn down reservations.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
I am surprised that no chain sets aside one hotel in each city where it has multiple properties and advertises that in that particular hotel smoking is allowed in all the rooms.

I suspect that it would be booked solid throughout the year even if it were somewhat over-priced.

Even if only 10% of travelers want smoking rooms, this hotel would have such a monopoly on them that it would have to turn down reservations.
Not nearly as simple as that. Complex local and state laws dictate smoking in hotels. Here is a good chart that shows what and where.

http://www.no-smoke.org/download.php...hotelrooms.pdf
Old May 10, 2017, 3:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dovster

On a recent road trip in the USA, I stayed at the Days Inn Flagstaff West - Route 66, for the sole reason that they offered smoking rooms.

I got to talking with one of the reception staff about the difficulty of find smoking rooms, and she told me that their smoking rooms are booked solid every single night of the year, even when the rest of the hotel is virtually empty.

This is clearly a business opportunity that hotels are missing.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Not nearly as simple as that. Complex local and state laws dictate smoking in hotels. Here is a good chart that shows what and where.

http://www.no-smoke.org/download.php...hotelrooms.pdf
That chart shows only five states where smoking is completely banned in all hotels and a number of municipalities -- most of which I have never heard of and only one, New Orleans, which I might be tempted to visit.

It does show what percentage of rooms hotels/motels in various places must save as non-smoking rooms but I believe that could be worked around by taking two adjacent buildings, put them under the same hotel name, and make all the rooms in one of those buildings non-smoking and allow smoking in all the rooms in another building.

Last edited by Dovster; May 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Old May 10, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A useful link, The_Bouncer ... that saves me looking for flights to several places
Old May 28, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Many of them are now fining you if you even smoke on the Balcony or anywhere on the grounds. That seems to be the case with Marriott in Hawaii.
That is just fregging insane. No smoking on even a balcony? Screw that, I just wouldn't stay there if they go as far as that!

I put up with states that have statewide bans requiring hotel/motel rooms to be 100% no-smoking(i.e. Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota), by asking for a 1st floor room near the exit so I can easily go out for a smoke. Not a huge fan of traveling to those places, but what can you do?
Old May 28, 2017, 3:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogbert617
That is just fregging insane. No smoking on even a balcony? Screw that, I just wouldn't stay there if they go as far as that!

I put up with states that have statewide bans requiring hotel/motel rooms to be 100% no-smoking(i.e. Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota), by asking for a 1st floor room near the exit so I can easily go out for a smoke. Not a huge fan of traveling to those places, but what can you do?
I such places, I get motel-style rooms with outdoor access as a last resort.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It appears the whole Hilton chain is going non-smoking ... new Thread here for Hilton-specific discussion >>> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smok...n-smoking.html
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
It appears the whole Hilton chain is going non-smoking ... new Thread here for Hilton-specific discussion >>> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smok...n-smoking.html
Another one bites the dust.

Wyndham and Choice are about the only options these days. Sooner or later, motel style rooms with outdoor corridors will be the only option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.