Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

UK / London / LHR / Airport hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

Can anyone recommend a hotel under £100 near Heathrow airport, which offers smoking rooms?

My usual go-to choice, the Holiday Inn M4/J4, has jumped on the smoke-free bandwagon.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Technically and legally, any enclosed public building in UK is non-smoking ... period, and has been for many years. Some hotels allow it, but they're extremely rare!

Have a look at the http://www.thestanwell.com ... a couple of km off the SW corner of LHR. We have used it several times in recent years. The rooms are non smoking, but the Executive Rooms do have a mini-balcony or patio with furniture and an ashtray where smoking is/was permitted. Likewise outside the Bar, in the Garden. Not stayed for about 3 years, so it may have changed, of course, Very reasonable restaurant too.

Public transport not really an option ... taxi will be GBP 10+ each way to LHR.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

For heaven's sake! Has this blanket ban been extended to hotel rooms now? They used to be legally considered private areas.

Thank heavens I'm only stuck there for one night. Thanks for the info.

An alternative would be a hotel where the windows open fully... 😉
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand (but coukd be wrong) that its down to the individual hotel. Obviosly a chain will try to protect its image!,

Open windows ... We were upgraded in MLA from a smoking room to a luxurious suite. When we objected, the Manager just said "Open the window and smoke there!"
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
I understand (but coukd be wrong) that its down to the individual hotel. Obviosly a chain will try to protect its image!,

Open windows ... We were upgraded in MLA from a smoking room to a luxurious suite. When we objected, the Manager just said "Open the window and smoke there!"
I had a similar experience in KUL. I called a hotel and asked whether smoking rooms were offered. The reply was, "No Sir. The hotel is 100% non-smoking, so you must smoke in your bathroom."
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hahaha ... we did very well in CPT. See the TR in my signature! Three hotels with sensible rules, which caused no grief.

Whereas Jamaica jumped hard on smoking, and banned it everywhere indoors ... but 'weed' wasn't specifically banned ... you smoke tobacco, you must sit outside ...

I gather the Health Minister got some sort of award for his policies
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Struggling to find your trip report - maybe you could link it?

I was in South Africa for a 3-week road trip earlier this winter and generally had no trouble. I stayed at up-market guesthouses, which all had balconies attached to the rooms.

I can put up with smoking on a balcony in warm climates, where I can just slip on a pair of shorts, but I object to having to get fully dressed to go out into the cold for my midnight smoke.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smoking Room in CPT, outside 'personal' balconies in S'bosch and F'hoek ... and all you had to do was click on CPT at the bottom of any of my posts

I know about the Winter aspect very well, as our US trips go via DUB. Coming back from HNL to sit outside in DUB in mid-Winter isn't funny!!

... from the last HNL TR " Having dumped the 2 cases, we wandered downstairs to enjoy our ‘free drink’ vouchers at the Bar.
“Red wine for her, a large Bushmills for me, please”
“Will you want ice in that, sir?”
“No, I’ll be drinking it outside, having a cigarette!”
It’s bloody freezing here … after a week or more of 27ºc, it’s now marginally 1ºc and not ideal for sitting out for long. King Bed on VIP floor beckons us … ZZZZZZ"

Anyway ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...tern-cape.html
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Nice trip report! It sounds like you were in CPT on the same weekend as me - 9/12 to 11/12 - the weekend of the Rugby Sevens.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Can anyone recommend a hotel under £100 near Heathrow airport, which offers smoking rooms?

My usual go-to choice, the Holiday Inn M4/J4, has jumped on the smoke-free bandwagon.
Success! The aforementioned HI M4/J4 is still offering smoking twin rooms via the website and app (as I travel alone, I often don't bother to check for two-bedded rooms).

Obviously I've jumped straight on it and grabbed a confirmed reservation, stating "Two Single Beds Smoking".

I have no idea whether my smoking preference will be honoured, but I have a free room coming up if it's not.

I'll report back after my stay in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.