Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Smoking Lounge
Reload this Page >

UK / London / Airports / LHR [T4 & T2 Only (Airside Smoking Cages)]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK / London / Airports / LHR [T4 & T2 Only (Airside Smoking Cages)]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:41 am

Smoking after terminal change T5->T3 LHR

Hi all!

I'm travelling to LAS in mid November and will arrive at T5 in LHR and due to the BA changes, this time I had to change to T3.
I know how to get out of T5 after arriving there to have a cigarette, but don't know if this works at T3 also.
When I take the bus to T3, is there a way to get to the border/customs to leave the building and an easy way to get back in?

Many thanks in advance!^
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by schmalen1
Hi all!

I'm travelling to LAS in mid November and will arrive at T5 in LHR and due to the BA changes, this time I had to change to T3.
I know how to get out of T5 after arriving there to have a cigarette, but don't know if this works at T3 also.
When I take the bus to T3, is there a way to get to the border/customs to leave the building and an easy way to get back in?

Many thanks in advance!^
I made the airside T5-T3 transfer this past Saturday. It's actually possible to access passport control and exit the airport from the T3 departures area - saw purple signage directing people that way.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by schmalen1
Hi all!

Many thanks in advance!^
Welcome to Flyertalk! If time permits go landside at T5 smoke - heathrow express or Piccadilly line to T3 (both free) smoke again then go airside to T3. I'm doing exactly this end of November; have about four hours between T5 arrival and T3 depart ^
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Another smoking at LHR question

I'm arriving on CX, T-3 I believe, transferring to a BA flight to EDI (domestic). I believe this goes out of T-5. I have five hours between flights. Can someone please explain the sequence I need to follow? I assume I will clear immigration and customs at LHR since I'm transferring to a domestic? Will I just be able to leave the airport at T-3 and go landslide to T-5? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 5 hours your best option is to clear immigration and customs at T3 and make a free landslide transfer to T5 using the Heathrow Express. This will give several opportunities to knock some additional minutes off your life expectancy.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: Status Free
Visit the Smoking Lounge forum

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Another smoking at LHR question

I'm arriving on CX, T-3 I believe, transferring to a BA flight to EDI (domestic). I believe this goes out of T-5. I have five hours between flights. Can someone please explain the sequence I need to follow? I assume I will clear immigration and customs at LHR since I'm transferring to a domestic? Will I just be able to leave the airport at T-3 and go landslide to T-5? Any help would be appreciated.
There's a thread dedicated to UK airports. You may find an answer without the commentary.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smoki...ports-lhr.html
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:22 pm

Can someone explain how to do this? Flying into 3 five hours in transit connecting to a domestic UK flight out of 5. Would like to exit at 3 to get a nicotine fix (coming off a long haul). Am I collecting luggage at 3 and clearing immigration/customs? Is this what is normally done? So I'm following signs that say what? How is transfer from international to domestic normally done at LHR? Since I want to step out at 3 am I doing something different?

Any help appreciated!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
With 5 hours your best option is to clear immigration and customs at T3 and make a free landslide transfer to T5 using the Heathrow Express. This will give several opportunities to knock some additional minutes off your life expectancy.
I agree. ^

This'll get you land side much quicker to enable you to enjoy a much needed smoke. Avoiding the airside bus transfer will also add minutes on to your life expectancy.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:16 am

how does this work with a bag? I assume that CX will check me HKG-LHR-EDI. I know I have to pick up bag at LHR. Will the bag be sent to baggage claim at T3 for me to get?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
how does this work with a bag? I assume that CX will check me HKG-LHR-EDI. I know I have to pick up bag at LHR. Will the bag be sent to baggage claim at T3 for me to get?
If you bag is tagged through to EDI, then you won't see it until you get to Edinburgh. UK != USA in this regard

If it's only tagged to LHR, you'd need to collect it in T3, wheel it with you over to T5, and give it to BA there

With all the BA "enhancements" around through checking luggage, including the apparent bullying of other OneWorld airlines to stop making BA look bad by doing any better, through checking isn't the certainty that it was before. Certainly ask Cathay to through-check if you can though! Check the baggage tag receipt to be sure
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
If you bag is tagged through to EDI, then you won't see it until you get to Edinburgh. UK != USA in this regard

If it's only tagged to LHR, you'd need to collect it in T3, wheel it with you over to T5, and give it to BA there

With all the BA "enhancements" around through checking luggage, including the apparent bullying of other OneWorld airlines to stop making BA look bad by doing any better, through checking isn't the certainty that it was before. Certainly ask Cathay to through-check if you can though! Check the baggage tag receipt to be sure
If the OP has a single ticket/PNR then it will be checked through. If not, it won't.

If it is checked through, immigration will happen in LHR but customs will happen in EDI.

If the OP wishes to smoke then he will need to enter the UK properly by heading to "Arrivals" at LHR immigration rather than "Flight Connections" (but it may be a good idea to do this regardless of whether you want to smoke or not, if your connection is not tight).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we now have a dedicated smoking forum, I'm going to move this over to prevent it becoming a drag. Please continue to discuss this topic in the smoking forum.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:18 pm

i traveled about three month ago and i asked the customer information for a smoking lounge and he told me there are no smoking lounge in T5, is it a new thing that there have a smoking lounge in T5???
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Been that way for sometime now. Only place to smoke is Landside
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
For those transferring and not going landside at LHR; according to the BA forum, there's a smoking den / cage by the connections bus at T3. May be useful to someone ^

Read post #49 here

Smoking lounge at LHR T5

Last edited by mikeyfly; Oct 28, 2017 at 2:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.