Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a RTW ticket with air miles not cash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Buying a RTW ticket with air miles not cash

Does anyone know if the country of origin makes a difference to the ticket price if you are paying for the ticket with miles?

Secondly, what is the best way to contact sky team to book a RTW ticket? I can't seem to find anything useful on their website other than the fact they have 2,100 ticket offices world wide

Any help, greatly appreciated

simon
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Country of origin is important for RTW fares paid in cash. I think it depends on the ST airline you have the miles with as to how many points it costs.

For example, Delta's cost:

180,000 miles for Economy class
280,000 miles for Business class
340,000 miles for First class

but say nothing about different rates for different countries of origin (https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ndex.jsp#world)

However, someone may have more direct experience to contradict this.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Country of origin does not matter in terms of the miles required, but it may have an impact on fees associated with the ticketing of the reward. DL, for example, tacks on huge surcharges for flights that do not originate in USA/Canada.

But, generally speaking, you don't really pay anything different based on where you ticket the flight using miles.

As for how to do it, you have to contact the rewards desk for the airline that you have the points on. Using the nwa.com, co.com and dl.com sites you can research much of the availability for many partners so you will know what seats are available before you start making the calls in to reserve seats.

What program are your miles in?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I am with Flying Blue

Do you happen to know rough prices for a RTW ticket booked through flying blue. I am trying to get a comparison between the cost of a ticket in cash and the number of FB miles i would need to use to obtain the same ticket.

Many thanks
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe that FB charges 140/220/280K for RTW tickets in Y/C/F, plus taxes and fuel surcharges.

I just checked their site and do not see anything specific about the RTW reward costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.