Reload this Page >

Best way to sign up for SkyTeam?

Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite

Hello,

I have no experience flying with SkyTeam. But I have a couple of small flights coming up on Air Europa.

I am Air NZ Gold Elite, and do nearly all of my flying on the Star Alliance.

Based in New Zealand.

But, if there is the chance to sign up to the SkyTeam alliance for free I am guessing that I should do it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold

There is no way to Sign up for Sky Team. You sign up for a Sky Team member's frequent flyer program such as Air Europa or Delta.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:58 pm

I think that was obvious. The OP seems to be asking for help as to which program to sign up for.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

It depends on how much flying you do and how likely it is you will fly on a SkyTeam airline.

I am an NZ Gold Elite as well, with most of my flights being Star Alliance or OneWorld (I'm QF Gold).

Given that I don't fly on SkyTeam often it is unlikely I'll get status with them. So I looked at three options-
Garuda: about to join and one if the airlines in the region;
China Southern: Fly to New Zealand and one I fly with a little bit. Points expire after a few years, from memory.
Delta: US based, points don't expire.

I ended up going with Delta simply because their points don't expire and I can't guarantee I'll fly enough with SkyTeam to get enough points for a reward flight on Garuda or China Southern before they begin to expire.

Of course, if Virgin Australia was to ever join (not sure it is likely) I would switch to them pretty quick!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Thank you Domestic Goddess, that is exactly the insight that I was after.

I will sign up with Delta as the miles don't expire, and I have the possibility of flying with them in the USA.

Very appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by ruff00

I will sign up with Delta as the miles don't expire, and I have the possibility of flying with them in the USA.

Very appreciated.

Thanks,
I would get SkyMiles as well if I were you. Good ATL hub too, which doesn't get affected by the winter storms like EWR, IAD, and ORD does.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The advantage of DL is that points don't expire but be sure to check their new earnings charts. The mainland Chinese carriers such as CZ and MU generally have poor FF programs. I also would avoid Garuda and AirEuropa as FF programs.

Some SkyTeam carriers have bilateral partnerships with VA, which could work for someone in NZ. Check whether your flights can earn points on VA = Virgin Australia. This also means that DL miles can be used for VA flights, but the same is not true for all SkyTeam FF programs. You should be able to credit AirEurope to DL and then use DL miles for VA flights. This could well be your best option as NZ based.

AFAIk you can sign up for any FF program online for free, although they might not send you a card until you have some miles.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Originally Posted by ruff00

Very appreciated.

Thanks,
I would get SkyMiles as well if I were you. Good ATL hub too, which doesn't get affected by the winter storms like EWR, IAD, and ORD does.
ATL not affected by winter storms? Not the case today.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
You can't sign up for Garuda without an address in Indonesia anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

I signed up for Garuda without an address in Indonesia. They posted a card to me (a Liverpool FC co-branded card) not long after.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Must have changed with the London flights coming on. Wasn't the case late 2011. Good to know.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
My friend located in Toronto will be flying AF (International R Fare) soon. Any FFP suggestions?

There was a Flying Blue sign up bonus but expired end of 2013... Checked the forum noting seems to be available at the moment.

I was told KE Sykpass was another option but not sure if it is any better.

I am on *A and rarely looking into other programs...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

R credits 100% to Delta, unfortunately 0% to Alaska which is what I would normally suggest
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by crimsona
R credits 100% to Delta, unfortunately 0% to Alaska which is what I would normally suggest
AF R still get 100% on DL? Wow. That's a surprise! Thanks for the tip. I will ask my friend to look into it and sign up.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:13 pm

have u considered join via Air France? after 40K miles you reach Gold Status for international flyers not based in Europe... any miles above 40K but below 70k (Platinum) will be kept for the next year so you can reach gold again easier or Silver...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.