Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by N830MH
I hear a rumors QF wants to switch the SkyTeam and is that true? I wasn't sure about this one. Can you guys find out for me.
Completely false. QF is a founding member of OW.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I hear a rumors QF wants to switch the SkyTeam and is that true? I wasn't sure about this one. Can you guys find out for me.
This is definitely not true. As a measure of precaution I would generally not listen to the people who spread this rumor to you.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Aside from AirBerlin, Jetstar is also a LCC that is in the OneWorld alliance. Furthermore, didn't 5J have an agreement to earn miles via Northwest Airlines a while back (showcasing that they were receptive in a chance to join an alliance).

With so many airlines based on the hub-and-spoke method, I am sure that many alliances wouldn't mind having LCCs in an alliance at all.

Thus, being an LCC does not preclude an airline from joining an alliance.
Jetstar is not in oneworld, though they may operate some flights for qantas. 5J did have an agreement with NW way back in the day (I actually remember being on one of those flights), however, one agreement with one airline is hardly proof that they are interested in joining.

You are right that most alliances probably wouldn't mind having an LCC so long as it filled gaps in the network. You are also correct in saying an LCC does not preclude an airline from joining an alliance (spanair, airberlin). However, Cebu Pacific does not need to join an alliance, nor does it seem like they want to. Cebu Pacific thrives on selling low fares that PR cannot hope to match. Joining an alliance would only increase costs for them. While one may argue that they would gain increased feeder, they could easily facilitate this outside of an alliance (This is, of course, ignoring the fact that connections from international to domestic and vice versa at MNL are a complete nightmare due to the layout of the terminals and long immigration lines). Perhaps some alliances might look at 5J, but I highly doubt 5J would care.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I think Star has some LCC's too. Blue1? Adria certainly feels like an LCC to me when I fly them.
Adria is not (though what the image and feel might be could be a different story). Blue1 I'm not to sure about, although I would probably classify them as a regional feeder for SAS (which is probably the only reason they are in the star alliance).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
My guesses (given Skyteam's stellar approach to recruiting quality airlines) would be:

TransAir Congo
Suriname Airways
MIA (not missing in action but Myanmar International Airlines)
Tropicair of Belize
Air Moldova

These will undoubtedly strengthen the Skyteam global reach.
Isn't Air Algiers is considering to join SkyTeam? What about them?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
My guesses (given Skyteam's stellar approach to recruiting quality airlines) would be:

TransAir Congo
Suriname Airways
MIA (not missing in action but Myanmar International Airlines)
Tropicair of Belize
Air Moldova

These will undoubtedly strengthen the Skyteam global reach.
I think (hope!) bostontraveler is being sarcastic. (Personally, I've always thought that a whole bunch of dodgy airlines should get together and form a fourth alliance - perhaps some of those from the EU blacklist...)

Isn't Air Algiers is considering to join SkyTeam? What about them?
This was rumoured a while ago, but I can't find any news reports about it since about 2006/07.

Personally (as I've said elsewhere) I think SkyTeam would benefit from a strong partner in north/west Africa (given that Africa is a fast growing market, and to complement KQ's hub in east Africa). I haven't flown AH for years, so I can't comment on their current product, but they seem to have a reasonable network covering north/west Africa, Europe and the Middle East (and 1 destination in North America - YUL). However, just because it may make sense from a network perspective doesn't mean it's necessarily going to happen - there are all sorts of other factors at play as well.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
AT is the only one that would benefit me. Otherwise I'm happy with ST the way it is (counting the announced new entrants).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Jetstar is also a LCC that is in the OneWorld alliance.
Jetstar is not in the OW alliance, although some QF flight numbers operated by Jetstar can be used on some OW fare products.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Jetstar is not in the OW alliance, although some QF flight numbers operated by Jetstar can be used on some OW fare products.
Jetstar comfirmed last year that they will join OW in the future, as a full member, not as an affiliate member of QF. The date of joining has not been comfirmed, however it will be when Jetstar has grown its' Asian presence by 30%
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by g.yau
Jetstar comfirmed last year that they will join OW in the future, as a full member, not as an affiliate member of QF. The date of joining has not been comfirmed, however it will be when Jetstar has grown its' Asian presence by 30%
A link would be appreciated... I cannot find anything on either the OW or Jetstar websites about this... could you please say where they confirmed this? Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
A link would be appreciated... I cannot find anything on either the OW or Jetstar websites about this... could you please say where they confirmed this? Thanks
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/worl...world-alliance

I think this is what g.yau mentioned. It mentions jetstar wanting to join oneworld, however, specifics concerning alliance membership for jetstar were vague at best. With no official word from oneworld who knows if/when they will actually join. Even if they did join as a full member, the initial push came from them being affiliated with qantas.

While on the subject of LCCs:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home
Looks like skyteam is lining up its options if Air India and/or Jet don't fall their way. THey also note that there has been no formal discussion though. This could be good for Indigo. With how insane the competition is in India, every airline needs every advantage they can get.

Last edited by rurouni212; Apr 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by rurouni212
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/worl...world-alliance

I think this is what g.yau mentioned. It mentions jetstar wanting to join oneworld, however, specifics concerning alliance membership for jetstar were vague at best. With no official word from oneworld who knows if/when they will actually join. Even if they did join as a full member, the initial push came from them being affiliated with qantas.
That was a typical journalist misunderstanding. The quote from Buchanan is related to JQ becoming available on some OW fare products under the QF code.

The only question is, if Jetstar were to join OW - which is totally unknown at this stage - would they join as a QF affiliate or would JQ join as a full member with 3K, VF, etc as affiliates.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
The only question is, if Jetstar were to join OW - which is totally unknown at this stage - would they join as a QF affiliate or would JQ join as a full member with 3K, VF, etc as affiliates.
Given their LCC nature, I would say that all of Jetstar should be affiliates of QF.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Given their LCC nature, I would say that all of Jetstar should be affiliates of QF.
However, JQ/3K have business class on their A330 flights - just as AB only has business class on their widebodies.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Well, it looks like Air Tahiti Nui is out of the equation, as the airline recently chose to join Oneworld instead of Skyteam. (still somewhat unofficial, I believe).

Although TN is rather small, it was great to be able to redeem miles to Tahiti with the Skymiles and Flying Blue programs. I feel like the partnerships with DL and AF will probably terminate.

I've been a pretty loyal supporter of Skyteam, but I think the value in the program is dying each month.

Last edited by rionio77; Apr 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.