Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Would really like to see Air Mauritius and Virgin Atlantic join SkyTeam.
Would AF/KL/AZ want a competing European hub in Skyteam? I think they will strategically not want that to happen.

Now if VS aligns itself to be purely a TATL operation and receives regulatory dispensation to enter the AF/AZ/DL/KL transatlantic cartel it might be a different matter.

That's assuming VS wants to pay the membership fee of course.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:50 pm

Would like to see Hawaiian Airlines join the Alliance.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas
Would AF/KL/AZ want a competing European hub in Skyteam? I think they will strategically not want that to happen.

Now if VS aligns itself to be purely a TATL operation and receives regulatory dispensation to enter the AF/AZ/DL/KL transatlantic cartel it might be a different matter.
VS will have virtually no intra-Europe capacity after it shuts down Little Red. It will be little more than LHR-USA + LHR-PVG/DXB/JNB/HKG/DEL/LOS. That doesn't represent much competition for AF/KL/AZ.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
VS will have virtually no intra-Europe capacity after it shuts down Little Red. It will be little more than LHR-USA + LHR-PVG/DXB/JNB/HKG/DEL/LOS. That doesn't represent much competition for AF/KL/AZ.
It represents competition from LON on the USA routes.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It represents competition from LON on the USA routes.
All the more reason for AF/KL/AZ(/and UX?) to want VS in the Skyteam immunized joint venture - they would get to share in the profits.

However, Delta and Virgin have a separate immunized joint venture of their own, on just London-North America, outside of the Skyteam joint venture.

I can see no reason why Delta or Virgin therefore require, or would want, Virgin to join Skyteam. Delta can already co-operate and co-ordinate with Virgin to the fullest extent possible under the law; that gives them greater access to London without the need to share profits with anyone else; any other points in the UK and in Europe can be reached via their partnerships with Air France, KLM and Alitalia; it may have made sense for Virgin to receive feed at Heathrow from AF/KL/AZ but they (or, rather, Delta) have shown no appetite for "sharing" Virgin with them.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
All the more reason for AF/KL/AZ(/and UX?) to want VS in the Skyteam immunized joint venture - they would get to share in the profits.

However, Delta and Virgin have a separate immunized joint venture of their own, on just London-North America, outside of the Skyteam joint venture.

I can see no reason why Delta or Virgin therefore require, or would want, Virgin to join Skyteam. Delta can already co-operate and co-ordinate with Virgin to the fullest extent possible under the law; that gives them greater access to London without the need to share profits with anyone else; any other points in the UK and in Europe can be reached via their partnerships with Air France, KLM and Alitalia; it may have made sense for Virgin to receive feed at Heathrow from AF/KL/AZ but they (or, rather, Delta) have shown no appetite for "sharing" Virgin with them.
VS can join Skyteam without joining the transatlantic JV (DL/AF/KL/AZ). Those are 2 different things. But in practice, I agree with you : I think DL doesn't want to share VS with anybody.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Sascha81
I have doubt about that. I am pretty sure Hawaiian Air will join the SkyTeam or Oneworld. Nobody know for sure.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum

2002 KM was annoubced to be joining skyteam. Today they signed a new codeshare with AF making even their direct flights between AMS and MLA bookable under AF flightnumber. Is that a sign?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
I have doubt about that. I am pretty sure Hawaiian Air will join the SkyTeam or Oneworld. Nobody know for sure.
I am not sure they are well placed to join either alliance. What do they offer?

Originally Posted by DrLudwig
2002 KM was annoubced to be joining skyteam. Today they signed a new codeshare with AF making even their direct flights between AMS and MLA bookable under AF flightnumber. Is that a sign?
No. Airlines, especially small regional ones, will codeshare with as many partners as is commercially viable.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
No. Airlines, especially small regional ones, will codeshare with as many partners as is commercially viable.
I fully agree. And it's too costly for such small airlines to join an alliance.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Sascha81
Please god, no! I'd hate to see beautiful HA tied into DL's horrible FFP. Would HA still be a Group 4 partner along with KE?

I am not sure they are well placed to join either alliance. What do they offer?
I fail to see why they are not placed to join. Sure, they don't have the expansive network of the big legacy carriers serving the mainland, but they do serve the people of Hawaii very well. HNL-JFK is only served by HA and all the west coast gateways are served. In addtion HA offers nonstops to BNE, ICN, SYD, HND, AKL, and PEK.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Please god, no! I'd hate to see beautiful HA tied into DL's horrible FFP. Would HA still be a Group 4 partner along with KE?
On the other hand, DL is a small part of SkyTeam. SkyTeam has very poor coverage to Australia [from USA], for instance. So actually from the SkyTeam perspective it makes some sense to poach HA.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I fail to see why they are not placed to join. Sure, they don't have the expansive network of the big legacy carriers serving the mainland, but they do serve the people of Hawaii very well. HNL-JFK is only served by HA and all the west coast gateways are served. In addtion HA offers nonstops to BNE, ICN, SYD, HND, AKL, and PEK.
Hawaii is already served by JL, QF and AA. It's pretty saturated. I don't really think HA would have much to offer OneWorld. If there is money in JFK-HNL or HNL-BNE there is nothing to stop AA offering those or QF offering the latter. So although HA is entrenched on the infra-island traffic I don't think it brings a unique advantage to OneWorld.

Then look at it from HA's perspective. Their current strategy on longhaul is to act as a growing cheap hub between North America and Asia and Australasia. That puts them against QF, AA, JL and to some extent DL.

I don't see how joining any alliance really helps that strategy. You can make a case I think for SkyTeam in the extra Australia traffic it would bring maybe with a DL/HA tie up there if regulators approved. And I suppose the same could be said for Star. But actually my opinion is that OneWorld would be the worst deal for both sides.

Oneworld's key limitation at the moment is the derth of Chinese domestic members. China plans to launch about 10 full service airlines next year, once the dust settles I think that will be where OneWorld will be looking to make its next expansion.

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 22, 2015 at 1:47 pm Reason: SkyTeam is only poor to AU from US
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
On the other hand, DL is a small part of SkyTeam. SkyTeam has very poor coverage to Australia, for instance. So actually from the SkyTeam perspective it makes some sense to poach HA.
Australia is served by plenty of SkyTeam airlines. It is the limited number of flights between Australia and USA that is an issue.

SkyTeam airlines serving Australia includes
CI
CZ
DL
GA
KE
MU
VN
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is the limited number of flights between Australia and USA that is an issue.
Indeed I should have been more explicit. I think HA could have some traction there possibly. But I don't really buy into the idea that HA wants to get involved in an alliance or that an alliance wants HA.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It's been more than 6 months, but there is no new airlines to join SkyTeam Alliance. It's been a while.

Who will be next new Skyteam Alliance?

Let the speculation begin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.