Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by azpyre
But as of today, it's easier to get from Singapore to Africa, Perth to Africa, Toronto to Africa and Sao Paolo to Africa direct on Star Alliance.
Again, this isn't really true. Africa is a big place. If you are going from Singapore most places in Africa, you have to take Skyteam. Ditto for Toronto and most other cities in the world. You cannot even get there with Star for some capital cities in Africa. And for even many of the currently popular destinations it is much easier to get there with Skyteam rather than Star because Skyteam has more frequency and better connections. If flying to Star hubs, then for sure take Star. And if flying to most any South African city other than JNB or CPT, again take Star. But for a major portion of the rest of Africa, ST is the best or only choice if you look at the routes and the connections.

Again, I fly Star too. I'm Star Gold as well as ST EP and OWE. I know all the routes, and on some certain routes Star is the best, others ST is the best. But certainly for most all the places I go to in Africa, ST is either the best choice or the only choice.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by azpyre
In the future, KQ will have more connections linking the world to Africa. In the future, Star Alliance will improve too.
Don't forget - Korean Air commences thrice weekly non-stop service to Nairobi from Thursday. Though their promotion campaign has drawn severe criticism in Kenya.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that AF is now code sharing with Estonian to Tallin. So let me be the first to start the Estonian Skyteam rumours.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I see that AF is now code sharing with Estonian to Tallin. So let me be the first to start the Estonian Skyteam rumours.
with about 3% minority stakes by SAS, eventually will be unlikely. but this is interesting, AF could do something with them.

they're still in part of SAS EuroBonus program now.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I believe this is not new and was in place for many years already ?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:11 am
Suspended

Saudia

Originally Posted by soorox
who do u think will be the next skyteam member?

write suggestions in this thread.

my guesses are CI, GA, VN, MH??? and maybe a south american airline
Curious why Saudia, now a ST member, is not listed as a partner on the Delta--a ST founding member--web page?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I believe this is not new and was in place for many years already ?
I honestly don't know. Maybe it was there, stopped and then started again? All I saw was a report that AF is how code sharing with Estonian.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does AF fly with its own metal to Tallin too? What about KLM from AMS?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does AF fly with its own metal to Tallin too?
Not as far as I know.

What about KLM from AMS?
KLM has code-shared with OV for AMS-TLL for a while. (I think since 2009?) This article also mentions KL and OV code-sharing on AMS-VNO, but I can't find any evidence of such flights currently.

IIRC, KLM stopped flights to TLL on its own metal at the same time as it started code-sharing with OV.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I honestly don't know. Maybe it was there, stopped and then started again? All I saw was a report that AF is how code sharing with Estonian.
I think you are correct (it stopped and was resumed)

Does AF fly itw own metal to Tallin too?
No. AF doesn't fly to any of the Baltic countries.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Middle East Airlines-Air Liban joins SkyTeam as its 17th member, effective today.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Middle East Airlines-Air Liban joins SkyTeam as its 17th member, effective today.
Absolutely fascinating that the announcement is effective immediately... no advance warning or anything.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/P...oins-SkyTeam-/
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Absolutely fascinating that the announcement is effective immediately... no advance warning or anything.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/P...oins-SkyTeam-/
Um, ME's joining was announced a year ago. About a month ago, they announced the date on which ME would actually join.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
QR is looking for an alliance http://www.travelweekly.com.au/trave...thin-12-months

With 2 new members in the region would either ST or QR benefit from a possible entry into Skyteam? It looks more Star or OW teritory though to be honest.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Curious why Saudia, now a ST member, is not listed as a partner on the Delta--a ST founding member--web page?
Because delta has sworn up and down in public that it wont have anything to do with Saudia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.