Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yet we have other examples of carriers not wanting another one who competes in the same region or has similar routes to join "their" alliance. Here the various SkyTeam Chinese carriers are all competing with each other. I hope they can also cooperate and play together well as time goes on. For example, it would be nice to have some joint (larger and better) SkyTeam lounges in China.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yet we have other examples of carriers not wanting another one who competes in the same region or has similar routes to join "their" alliance. Here the various SkyTeam Chinese carriers are all competing with each other. I hope they can also cooperate and play together well as time goes on. For example, it would be nice to have some joint (larger and better) SkyTeam lounges in China.
As has been discussed earlier in this thread (I think), there are mergers in the future for some of these airlines. There are reasons they are in the same alliance.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Somehow I'd missed MF's joining plans amidst all of the other carriers with "China" or some city in China in their name joining.
Here's a link to Xiamen Airlines' route maps.

http://www.xiamenair.com.cn/en/aboutus/network/

Maybe this will prove a backdoor way for redemptions Seoul-xxx-KUL/SIN.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
I'm starting to think that SkyTeam is signing up all the Chinese carriers to keep them from going with another alliance, thereby blocking *A and oneworld from having comprehensive mainland coverage in this expanding market like SkyTeam does.
It's still effectively 2 carriers in ST, MU and CZ. FM is now part of MU, and CZ owns 60% of MF.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

In large market such as China, two comepeting members is not necessarily a bad situation. It gives more choices.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

In large market such as China, two comepeting members is not necessarily a bad situation. It gives more choices.
True, especially when the two have somewhat different regional route structures or hubs.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Skyteam discusses with Indigo

Indigo is in the Skyteam radar. See this link (sorry, in French)
Basically they say that low cost airlines are more and more interesting for alliances because they are growing fast and because they sometimes become the sole operator on some route axed by legacies and that passengers want to fly. They also say that the biggest challenge to integrate low cost carriers in a global alliance is IT-related. Skyteam has created a platform called "skylink" that allow some airlines to connect to Skyteam airlines IT systems without having to invest in sophisticated IT systems.
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...-low-cost.html
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by 123dd
It's still effectively 2 carriers in ST, MU and CZ. FM is now part of MU, and CZ owns 60% of MF.
I think FM joined under MU while MF will join as a separate airline. They don't count FM as a member and FM logo is not shown on SkyTeam website while it will be a different story with MF.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:12 pm

Any news of Uzbekistan Airways?
Uzbekistan Airways' candidacy would being sponsored by Korean Air
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Indigo is in the Skyteam radar. See this link (sorry, in French)
Basically they say that low cost airlines are more and more interesting for alliances because they are growing fast and because they sometimes become the sole operator on some route axed by legacies and that passengers want to fly. They also say that the biggest challenge to integrate low cost carriers in a global alliance is IT-related. Skyteam has created a platform called "skylink" that allow some airlines to connect to Skyteam airlines IT systems without having to invest in sophisticated IT systems.
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...-low-cost.html
None of the full service cariers is in good shape. The very exisrence of the oldest, AI, is beimg questioned, and that of the other two is question mark. IT is spoken for, AI has been promised marriage with star, while 9W, is willing to be the other woman, given the flirtatious encouragement from LH. Indigo is free and willing.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peterr82
Any news of Uzbekistan Airways?
Uzbekistan Airways' candidacy would being sponsored by Korean Air
I may consider flying the Uzbeg airline, especially if Uzbegistan becomes visa free.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Well, Sri Lankan Airlines (UL) has just been taken by oneWorld. It's a good airline with value fares. I wished Skyteam had approached UL considering the mess the airlines in India are facing. UL covers India quite decently, and a major airline to the Maldives.

Now that it's no longer on the table, I hope Skyteam step up their pursuit of the remaining airlines. Among the major ones left, Etihad and Virgin Australia would be a scoop if Skyteam can convince them.

Personally, I hope Skyteam can also recruit AirCalin, Air Pacific (soon rebranded as Air Fiji), Indigo Airlines, Philippines Airlines, Oman Air, Transaero, Iceland Air, Royal Air Maroc and Copa Airlines.
Whether it's for Skyteam Associates or the main partner, it doesn't matter. It's a competition ... and the more the better ...
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by azpyre
Personally, I hope Skyteam can also recruit AirCalin, Air Pacific (soon rebranded as Air Fiji), Indigo Airlines, Philippines Airlines, Oman Air, Transaero, Iceland Air, Royal Air Maroc and Copa Airlines.
Air Calin : I think they don't want to join an alliance, otherwise they would have already joined Skyteam easily, as they are using Flying Blue as their FFP and have a code-share agreement in place with AF for a long time.

Royal Air Maroc : I would love too but AT and DL just announced the end of their long-time code-share agreement on JFK-CMN (with just a few days advance notice). It's very surprising and nobody understands yet what's going-on so suddenly. So it seems that AT is moving away from Skyteam, unfortunately.

Copa : well they were in Skyteam and left recently for Star when CO moved. They are completely linked to UA (CO). So I don't see why and how they could come back to Skyteam

Originally Posted by azpyre
Whether it's for Skyteam Associates or the main partner, it doesn't matter.
There is no more associate status, only full membership.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Royal Air Maroc : I would love too but AT and DL just announced the end of their long-time code-share agreement on JFK-CMN (with just a few days advance notice). It's very surprising and nobody understands yet what's going-on so suddenly. So it seems that AT is moving away from Skyteam, unfortunately.
But some of Royal Air Maroc's stake are held by AF-KL, so there is still a chance...

Btw azypre, I rather have Vladivostok and/or Transaero on ST.

Last edited by T.A.Music; Jun 17, 2012 at 6:25 am
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:24 am

The saga continued to grow with 9W. Stay tuned.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/14205609.cms

Last edited by Dalat767; Jun 17, 2012 at 9:52 am Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.