Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Stupid question, but whats the three major Indian carriers? AI, yes, definitely, even if they won't survive a day without gouvernment money. 9W, yes. But anyone else? I can only see smaller local carriers, even if they do have airplanes in numbers like some smaller *A members like A3, I can hardly see them as "major carriers".. or did I forgot someone? I know India sometimes changes quickly..
Kingfisher is the third, a relic of the days when it commanded almost a fifth of the market.

We haven't gotten into the habit of saying "2 major carriers" yet

IndiGo could be argued as a major carrier with the largest marketshare in India, but as an LCC who doesn't even have any interline agreements, they aren't exactly alliance material.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by N830MH
Why they are took too long? What are waiting for?
Because they are busy dancing around the coconut tree.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
IndiGo could be argued as a major carrier with the largest marketshare in India, but as an LCC who doesn't even have any interline agreements, they aren't exactly alliance material.
If IndiGo's service like airberlin's or AirEuropa's, then, for me, its the exactly alliance material, cuz when I look back, AirEuropa before joining ST, didn't have any interline agreements as well...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
If IndiGo's service like airberlin's or AirEuropa's, then, for me, its the exactly alliance material, cuz when I look back, AirEuropa before joining ST, didn't have any interline agreements as well...
IndiGo's ticketing system is fundamentally incompatible with that of alliance carriers - and it would take a ton of money to upgrade it.

It would make a good alliance member, but it would be an expensive proposition for the airline and the alliance.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Because they are busy dancing around the coconut tree.
That's funny, huh?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:56 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

IT-Kingfisher- was another Indian carrier flying to destinations beyond India
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

IT-Kingfisher- was another Indian carrier flying to destinations beyond India
Was? have they totally ceased to exist? I thought they were still struggling to hang on and fly a few routes.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was? have they totally ceased to exist? I thought they were still struggling to hang on and fly a few routes.
They had suspended all international flying but were still operating domestic routes last I heard.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
They had suspended all international flying but were still operating domestic routes last I heard.
That sounds right to me, so I guess we should read the earlier post as "was international" not "was an airline."
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:04 pm

Garuda entry delayed to 2014, dates announced for AR and MF

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...work-2004.html

Garuda's entry will be pushed back to 2014 due to IT transition time.

Joining dates were also announced by Skyteam managing director for AR and MF.

AR: 29 August 2012
MF: 15 November 2012

But there is no mention of ME. Aren't they supposed to join Skyteam this year as well considering that they signed an agreement around the same time as SV last year?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wlst
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...work-2004.html

Garuda's entry will be pushed back to 2014 due to IT transition time.

Joining dates were also announced by Skyteam managing director for AR and MF.

AR: 29 August 2012
MF: 15 November 2012

But there is no mention of ME. Aren't they supposed to join Skyteam this year as well considering that they signed an agreement around the same time as SV last year?
ME is due to join later this month, according to what was posted on the ST Facebook page. Think it's around the 25th.

Somehow I'd missed MF's joining plans amidst all of the other carriers with "China" or some city in China in their name joining. (In fact, I'd originally thought you'd meant FM, which is also in SkyTeam, at least as a subsidiary of MU. Having FM and MF, neither of which has a code that obviously comes from their names is not going to be at all confusing.) Doesn't open up many great redemption options, but I guess it's nice to have a robust network available within China.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:41 am

ME is due to join later this month, according to what was posted on the ST Facebook page. Think it's around the 25th.
28th
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a feeling that Aerolineas Argentinas might not make it, if one follows the currency control regime instituted by the government in recent months and the overall falling apart of the economy down there again, I would say that it may be the wrong time for them to enter.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:03 am

Somehow I'd missed MF's joining plans amidst all of the other carriers with "China" or some city in China in their name joining. (In fact, I'd originally thought you'd meant FM, which is also in SkyTeam, at least as a subsidiary of MU. Having FM and MF, neither of which has a code that obviously comes from their names is not going to be at all confusing.) Doesn't open up many great redemption options, but I guess it's nice to have a robust network available within China.
I'm starting to think that SkyTeam is signing up all the Chinese carriers to keep them from going with another alliance, thereby blocking *A and oneworld from having comprehensive mainland coverage in this expanding market like SkyTeam does.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm starting to think that SkyTeam is signing up all the Chinese carriers to keep them from going with another alliance, thereby blocking *A and oneworld from having comprehensive mainland coverage in this expanding market like SkyTeam does.
Of course! And Star or OW would have done the same if they could. It's a level playing field and any alliance can step up and try to woo a carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.