Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by azpyre
Among the asian carriers that's left, Philippine Airlines (PR) would be one that's available. But not sure if any alliance would want them ...

Hong Kong Airlines (HX) would be the other interesting proposition ...
Yeah, PR has alot they need to sort out first. As far as Hong Kong Airlines goes, that would obviously involve Hainan, who basically are a bad fit with any of the alliances right now (Unless, of course, they were to do something about Hong Kong Airlines).
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:52 am

Any quality Asian Carriers?
KE is good one. CI & (soon) GA are good too (though more regional than KE). If you want good chinese airlines at ST, (soon) MF will be a good one (though subpar of HU).

If middle east counts into Asian, ME will be your choice too.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefan
Does anyone know when Saudi Arabia Air will be an official ST member? The ST website mentions the agreement signing in 2011.
Thanks...I am traveling next month to Jeddah via SA and would love for the miles to count.
The facebook status from JourneyCorp Travel Management announced that SV joins Skyteam in May 29th, 2012. There's no comment from the officials though...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T.A.Music
The facebook status from JourneyCorp Travel Management announced that SV joins Skyteam in May 29th, 2012. There's no comment from the officials though...
Thanks for the update. Will be traveling May 25-29 so will keep my eyes open.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by azpyre
Among the asian carriers that's left, Philippine Airlines (PR) would be one that's available. But not sure if any alliance would want them ...
PR will be a more viable candidate once the Philippines regains Cat I status again. They will be able to deploy their 777's and add capacity to current US routes.

A good indicator of PR's alliance path lies in which US airline they choose to codeshare with once Cat I is reestablished. UA/*A has a good shot with their presence in SFO and LAX. AA/OW has a good chance as well with AA's continued expansion and LAX becoming a OW hub. I'm not sure what DL would give them.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow....Isn't that good news? I wasn't aware of SV. I thought DL doesn't want to see SV to join the SkyTeam.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:24 am

Just checking SkyTeam's facebook page.

when will MEA and Saudia join Sky Team ? (by Moh'd Chehab in Makkah)

SkyTeam replies: "Hi, Saudia will join on May 29th and MEA on June 28th. Best wishes"
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
seems 9w won't be part of ST.

It just cut it's ties with DL.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:29 pm
Suspended

9W was a lamw partner

Hard to say who cut the ties, nor is it very relevant. Jet was hardly a viable partner. With neither an abilty to earn status miles, nor availabilty of awards, the partnership was taking award availibilty from Skyteam.
Now that its network is shrinking, people are beginning to question its survival. Unless 9W is willing to have partnership on an equitable and reciprocal basis, I would say ,"Good riddance!"
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
Im getting bored of waiting for an Indian airline joining an alliance. Im only 27 but i don't think one will ever join in my lifetime!!!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984
Im getting bored of waiting for an Indian airline joining an alliance. Im only 27 but i don't think one will ever join in my lifetime!!!
Why they are took too long? What are waiting for?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
They probably haven't bribed the right politicians enough!!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:13 am

Huh? What do you mean by that?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Huh? What do you mean by that?
Reference to coruption. But IHMO, the issue goes beyond corruption. If you read India Based Airlines forum, a vast majority of Indian flyers are enamoured with *A. The govt wants AI to join the alliance, flyers want 9W, while Star Alliance will accede to AI if the former gets both. The three major Indian carriers have problems of their own in their race to the bottom.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 8, 2012 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Reference to coruprion. But IHMO, the issue goes beyond corruption. If you read India Based Airlines forum, a vast makority of Indian flyers are enamoured with *A. The govt wants AI to join the alliance, flyers want 9W, while Star Alliance will accede to AI if the fprmer gets both. The three major Indian carriers have problems of their own in their race to the bottom.
Stupid question, but whats the three major Indian carriers? AI, yes, definitely, even if they won't survive a day without gouvernment money. 9W, yes. But anyone else? I can only see smaller local carriers, even if they do have airplanes in numbers like some smaller *A members like A3, I can hardly see them as "major carriers".. or did I forgot someone? I know India sometimes changes quickly..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.