Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rionio77
I've been a pretty loyal supporter of Skyteam, but I think the value in the program is dying each month.
Really? It seems that ST is improving about every month to me. We have a bunch of new airlines joining this year. And correct me if I'm wrong, but ST is the alliance with the most A380's. Or the most members with A380's? I've flown the AF A380 several times and I'm looking forward to a trip on the KE A380 soon.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by stimpy
And correct me if I'm wrong, but ST is the alliance with the most A380's. Or the most members with A380's?
According to www.airfleets.net, *A has 25 (LH 8, SQ 17), ST has 14 (AF 6, KE 5, CZ 3), OW 12 (all QF) - and EK has 21. So, ST has the most A380 operators, but not the most planes. (And of course, the numbers will continue to change, as more come off the production line).

I'm not sure that 'number of A380s' is the most important measure of quality in an airline alliance - but with new airlines joining, and the roll-out of things such as the harmonised additional luggage policy, and SkyPriority, I would certainly agree that ST's offering is steadily improving.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:39 am

from CAPA (sorry i can't give the link because i use mobile here), CEO of AF said that there's a possibilities that IndiGo will be potential future member of ST.

hmm.. it means that ST will be ended with 6E if failed to get 9W (though i can say that 6E seems more regional than 9W). And of course, it depends from 6E to do codeshare(s) with ST members or not as they're LCC.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus: Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Spirow
from CAPA (sorry i can't give the link because i use mobile here), CEO of AF said that there's a possibilities that IndiGo will be potential future member of ST.

hmm.. it means that ST will be ended with 6E if failed to get 9W (though i can say that 6E seems more regional than 9W). And of course, it depends from 6E to do codeshare(s) with ST members or not as they're LCC.
No surprises here, with kingfisher imploding, that would leave Air India and Jet in the full service market. Star will likely (eventually) get AI and possibly 9W depending on how negotiations go down. Even if Star doesn't get 9W, Jet could very realistically end up with oneworld.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Spirow
http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...-france-148986
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
http://www.firstpost.com/business/wi...oo-267324.html

According to this article....

"Jet has sought permission to launch 35 new weekly services to Germany and seven each to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sharjah, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and France from this winter."

3 of those countries having Skyteam hubs. Is this significant???
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984

"Jet has sought permission to launch 35 new weekly services to Germany and seven each to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sharjah, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and France from this winter."

There is also the 35 weekly services to Germany, a Star Alliance bastion. This might result in some strengthened ties with skyteam carriers, but I wouldn't read to much into it beyond that.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Anybody who follows the aviation industry knows that there is a very very very large difference between being granted route authorities and actually using them.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984

Well I can only say for Vietnam, both VN & 9W are looking at co-operating for flights between India & Vietnam, they signed a bilateral agreement not too long ago. VN is a member of ST, is this a start of something ? VN could have partnered up with either AI or Kingfisher.

Looks like VN is doing its bit for ST !
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Aside from AirBerlin, Jetstar is also a LCC that is in the OneWorld alliance.
Jetstar is not a member of OneWorld, and neither is it a OneWorld affiliate carrier.

Earlier this year, certain JetStar routes became bookable as part of a OneWorld round the world ticket, when sold by QF with a QF flight code. But it is incorrect to say that JetStar is a OneWorld member.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know when Saudi Arabia Air will be an official ST member? The ST website mentions the agreement signing in 2011.
Thanks...I am traveling next month to Jeddah via SA and would love for the miles to count.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefan
Does anyone know when Saudi Arabia Air will be an official ST member? The ST website mentions the agreement signing in 2011.
Thanks...I am traveling next month to Jeddah via SA and would love for the miles to count.
I haven't seen anything more recent than this article*:

Originally Posted by KQ321
According to this article:

SV will join in May this year
ME will join in June
AR will join in August
MF will join in November
GA will at the end of 2012
So, Saudi Arabian (SV) should join at some point in May - but I've no idea when in May...

* Other than subsequent updates that GA will join in Q1 of 2013.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:51 pm

Any quality Asian Carriers?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bambangan
Any quality Asian Carriers?
Garuda is improving. Beyond that, there aren't even that many asian carriers left that would join an alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rurouni212
Beyond that, there aren't even that many asian carriers left that would join an alliance.
Among the asian carriers that's left, Philippine Airlines (PR) would be one that's available. But not sure if any alliance would want them ...

Hong Kong Airlines (HX) would be the other interesting proposition ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.