Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Keep in mind that that there is no more associate membership in Skyteam. Only full membership.
You forgetting something and there is more airlines who is expecting to join the Alliance. You will see ME, SV, GA, AR will ever join the Skyteam in 2012.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:29 am

You will see ME, SV, GA, AR will ever join the Skyteam in 2012.
plus MF (Xiamen Airlines).

Keep in mind that that there is no more associate membership in Skyteam. Only full membership.
But since when ? ST haven't said that AFAIK, they just change some associate members (KQ, UX, RO) to full members.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, if there's no more associate membership at ST, what happened to MF ? will they use their own program or merged with CZ program after they join ? (they're subsidiary of CZ, right ?)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Spirow
But since when ? ST haven't said that AFAIK, they just change some associate members (KQ, UX, RO) to full members.
This SkyTeam press statement (22 June 2010) is not entirely clear, but certainly implies that SkyTeam removed the 'associate' option entirely, and as part of that process, made their existing Associates into Full Members.

Renewed membership program
SkyTeam’s 10-year anniversary also marks the introduction of a new membership program, to better match with the alliances’ growth ambition. The former Associate Airline program served carriers, including current partners of alliance members, who were interested in alliance benefits but did not yet meet all strategic criteria necessary to become full SkyTeam members. It allowed SkyTeam to build a broader network and provide customers with access to additional regions of the world. With a higher degree of maturity reached in alliance development and integration, SkyTeam now fully integrates all members into the alliance. With this reclassification, Air Europa, Kenya Airways and new member TAROM will now also be referred to as Member airlines. This change will reinforce the cohesion among the partner airlines. For the customer, there will be no differences.
(Emphasis added)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
You forgetting something and there is more airlines who is expecting to join the Alliance. You will see ME, SV, GA, AR will ever join the Skyteam in 2012.
Sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say in reply to my post. I said that there is no more associate member status in Sky but only full membership. I never said that there will be no more new airlines joining Sky. Hopefully there will be several and you cited several of them. These airlines will join Skyteam as full members.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by KQ321
This SkyTeam press statement (22 June 2010) is not entirely clear, but certainly implies that SkyTeam removed the 'associate' option entirely, and as part of that process, made their existing Associates into Full Members.

oh. i see this. (thanks anyway)

ok, back to the topic. so (sorry i repeat again), if there's no more associate option at ST, what happened to MF then ? will they use their own program (Egret Card) or merged with CZ program after they joined ? (they're subsidiary of CZ, right ?)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

plus MF (Xiamen Airlines).
Right. Thanks! Which airlines who will be next Skyteam member?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
oh. i see this. (thanks anyway)

ok, back to the topic. so (sorry i repeat again), if there's no more associate option at ST, what happened to MF then ? will they use their own program (Egret Card) or merged with CZ program after they joined ? (they're subsidiary of CZ, right ?)
I presume MF will keep its FFP when it joins SkyTeam.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Goldorak
What about Shanghai Airlines (FM)? A full member? Can't even find their logo on SkyTeam website. They were a full Star Alliance member.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I presume MF will keep its FFP when it joins SkyTeam.
oh. yeah, let's see then after they joining. thanks anyway,

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
What about Shanghai Airlines (FM)? A full member? Can't even find their logo on SkyTeam website. They were a full Star Alliance member.
maybe they're now a subsidiary of MU, so i think they just an affiliate member of ST.

Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984
Does anyone have any updates?
maybe i have..

* ST in talks with Indian carriers, including LCCs. According to this article.. http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-744835.aspx

so, there are changes that IndiGo / Spicejet will enter in if ST fail to get Jet Airways (9W). (sorry if this already discussed + the article isn't new i think, but still warm)

* (sorry repost again) Sichuan Airlines maybe will be the next to join as they'll plan to open Amsterdam next year (which is ST hub) + they already have some codeshare with ST members (AFKL, CZ, CI AFAIK).

(here's the link... http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...th-ameri-64995)

some statements..
Sichuan Airlines also plans to offer a Chengdu-Amsterdam service with a daily frequency in Jun-2012. Mr Li, as quoted by WCC Daily, stated the carrier plans to operate the Amsterdam service through a commercial agreement, although he did not disclose its partner on the planned service. KLM, Sichuan Airlines sole codeshare partner, is the sole operator on the route with a three times weekly frequency service, in codeshare with Air France and China Southern Airlines.
what do you think ?

Last edited by Spirow; Dec 31, 2011 at 8:53 pm
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Well since Sichuan Airlines is 39% owned by CZ and 10% owned by FM there's a good chance they might end up in SkyTeam!

SkyTeam pretty much has NE Asia covered very well as it is + the addition of MF.

CZ, MU, FM, CI, KE & MF
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soorox
Well since Sichuan Airlines is 39% owned by CZ and 10% owned by FM there's a good chance they might end up in SkyTeam!

SkyTeam pretty much has NE Asia covered very well as it is + the addition of MF.

CZ, MU, FM, CI, KE & MF
I think it's great addition to see MF entry the SkyTeam. That's will be a logical choice. That's will bring it up more airlines who next to join the SkyTeam. It's right choice for SkyTeam alliance.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
so, there are changes that IndiGo / Spicejet will enter in if ST fail to get Jet Airways (9W). (sorry if this already discussed + the article isn't new i think, but still warm)
SG (Spicejet) cannot join an alliance. As an LCC, they've developed their own ticketing system which saves costs. But it also means that they don't follow the IATA system and therefore cannot coordinate with other airlines. For example, on SG, it is impossible for your ticket to be endorsed because your "ticket" doesn't exist in the way other airlines think about it.

Not to say that they coudn't change their system in the future, but for now, they're stuck as loners. They can't even codeshare or interline right now, forget join an alliance...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by soorox
At least, i hope they'll cover ST's network at western china, especially make CTU is one of ST hub, which currently still dominated with *A with Air China.

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think it's great addition to see MF entry the SkyTeam. That's will be a logical choice. That's will bring it up more airlines who next to join the SkyTeam. It's right choice for SkyTeam alliance.
And maybe ST later will have hub which other alliances don't have. Let's say Xiamen, Fuzhou, and Hangzhou.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
SG (Spicejet) cannot join an alliance. As an LCC, they've developed their own ticketing system which saves costs. But it also means that they don't follow the IATA system and therefore cannot coordinate with other airlines. For example, on SG, it is impossible for your ticket to be endorsed because your "ticket" doesn't exist in the way other airlines think about it.

Not to say that they coudn't change their system in the future, but for now, they're stuck as loners. They can't even codeshare or interline right now, forget join an alliance...
err.. yeah. but anything can happen. look ST's effort to recruit GOL. they're LCC. Virgin Australia too.

But yes, for spicejet, i still doubt for them to join an alliance. Let's forget it. Now for IndiGo, which still in speculation now, i can say will be good addition if ST fail to bring Jet (9W) in.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:39 am

(sorry double post anyway)

Last edited by Spirow; Jan 3, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: double post
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
err.. yeah. but anything can happen. look ST's effort to recruit GOL. they're LCC. Virgin Australia too.
ST hasn't done alot to recruit GOL, instead DL has tried to persuade GOL to join; remember DL purchased a very small percentage of GOL (This is to stop GOL from joining any other alliance, other than ST) However DL said that this does not certify that GOL will join ST.

I think eventually GOL will join ST, LATAM will join OW and AV/TA will join *A.

For Virgin Australia it could go anywhere, VA has loads of codeshares not just with DL, you need to remember that ANZ has a shareholding stake between 10% and 14.99%, VA also has a codeshare alliance will SQ.

I my opinion it is more likely that *A is the better option, however at the end it could go anywhere.

In the future I think ST will have:
1. VC (Air Australia) only if VA joins *A
2. 6E (Indigo Airlines) only if 9W join *A
3. GOL
4. AH (Air Algerie)

OW will have:
1. EY or GF
2. HU (Only if CX accepts them)
3. JQ (Jetstar)
4. TU (Tunis Air)
5. LATAM
6. BD (BMI)
7. UL (Sri Lankan Airline)

*A will have:
1. VA
2. QR (Qatar)
3. BR (Eva Airline)
4. PK (Pakistan Airline)
5. UN (Transaero)

Last edited by g.yau; Jan 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.