Continental leaving SkyTeam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental leaving SkyTeam?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
It looks like Copa has already decided to leave Skyteam, and this article cites AM's CEO as recognizing the decision as made and that Skyteam is looking for replacements.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...join-star.html

With Copa and Continental leaving, and Taca looking to Star Alliance, who is left for Skyteam? Gol has been rumored, but who else? AV?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:01 am

Nice to see Continental will transition "in a friendly manner". I trust that they will give us at the very least 3 months' notice, maybe 6...

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:04 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by legalflyer
It looks like Copa has already decided to leave Skyteam, and this article cites AM's CEO as recognizing the decision as made and that Skyteam is looking for replacements.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...join-star.html

With Copa and Continental leaving, and Taca looking to Star Alliance, who is left for Skyteam? Gol has been rumored, but who else? AV?
With Continental the only other carrier with direct flight between the United States and Portugal, wouldn't it make sense for TAP to move to Skyteam?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GMill
With Continental the only other carrier with direct flight between the United States and Portugal, wouldn't it make sense for TAP to move to Skyteam?
Make sense for whom? I'm pretty sure that TAP is quite happy in *A and isn't worried about a single competitor on a single route being a reason to jump ship.

On the topic of the move, all of CO's press releases these days are missing the standard paragraph about SkyTeam. Interesting, I think.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
make sense for who ? why would TP want to change alliances with all the disruption and expense that would incur because of a single route overlap .

Also , I believe that US has direct PHL-LIS flights so CO are not the only other carrier with direct US-Portugal flights .

In any case I am sure that DL will open JFK-LIS , if they think there is enough demand at a sustainable yield
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by sbm12
On the topic of the move, all of CO's press releases these days are missing the standard paragraph about SkyTeam. Interesting, I think.
I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it ... I suppose it is not surprising given their intentions , although I might have expected some contractual obligation to include the Skyteam blurb in all press releases while they are still a member . Do you have any idea when the last CO press release to mention Skyteam was issued ?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

haha this is a p!ss take, surely?
Clearly the LIS-NYC route can't have two airlines in an alliance, and I am sure AF and UX would welcome some intra-alliance competition from TAP on their South American routes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.