Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam award on AZ... with DL Miles...

Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

Any thoughts as to what would happen to an existing award reservation that I have as follows:

Alitalia

LAX-FCO in June 2009

Air France

LHR-LAX later in June 2009

If Alitalia leaves SkyTeam (rumors) or goes under completely (plausible), any idea what happens to my ticket? It is an award ticket that was purchased with Delta miles.

Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
If Alitalia leaves SkyTeam (rumors) or goes under completely (plausible)
OT but - wouldn't be surprised if they go completely under, but do you have a source for the rumors that they are leaving?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
If AZ goes completely under DL will find you an alternative routing since it is a Skymiles award ticket.

Changing alliances generally takes a long time (look at CO's timetable for switching to *A) and even so would likely not affect tickets already booked.

Don't worry about it.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
If AZ goes completely under DL will find you an alternative routing since it is a Skymiles award ticket.

Changing alliances generally takes a long time (look at CO's timetable for switching to *A) and even so would likely not affect tickets already booked.

Don't worry about it.
Got it, thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Well, it looks like you can finally look for alternatives:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4182161/

FCO-LAX is done as of Nov 8.

Let us know how they reaccomodate you!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

DL/AF/AZ Award Question

Ok, so I am currently booked on LAX-FCO on Alitalia and then on LHR-LAX on AirFrance. Both flights are in June 2009. Both flights were booked with Delta using Delta miles. Both flights are for 2 people in business class.

Apparently, AF has made is official that they are getting rid of the LHR-LAX (possibly temporarily and possibly permanently) and now there are rumors of AZ getting rid of LAX-FCO.

My question is: at what point do I call DL to get these issues resolved?

Also, if the flights truly do not exist, will DL give me whatever routing I want on the same days? Should I be able to go SAN-ATL-FCO and then LHR-JFK-SAN?

Also, lastly, all of this will cost me nothing in terms of dollars and miles, right?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Apparently, AF has made is official that they are getting rid of the LHR-LAX (possibly temporarily and possibly permanently) and now there are rumors of AZ getting rid of LAX-FCO.

My question is: at what point do I call DL to get these issues resolved?

Also, if the flights truly do not exist, will DL give me whatever routing I want on the same days? Should I be able to go SAN-ATL-FCO and then LHR-JFK-SAN?

Also, lastly, all of this will cost me nothing in terms of dollars and miles, right?

Thanks!
One can call and get the LAX-LHR routing changed now.

You need Alitalia to drop LAX-FCO officially, zeroing out the schedule and doing what airlines do as formal notification.

You have a ticket from/to LAX. That's Delta's obligation. If you wind up coming back through ATL, where ATL-SAN is just as easy as ATL-LAX, maybe they'll give it to you. I don't believe they'll force open their own award inventory to give you a change in origin.

Yes, all free. Don't take any guff about new fuel or ticketing surcharges in place: AF and AZ forced the changes, not you.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

You need Alitalia to drop LAX-FCO officially, zeroing out the schedule and doing what airlines do as formal notification.

You have a ticket from/to LAX. That's Delta's obligation. If you wind up coming back through ATL, where ATL-SAN is just as easy as ATL-LAX, maybe they'll give it to you. I don't believe they'll force open their own award inventory to give you a change in origin.

Yes, all free. Don't take any guff about new fuel or ticketing surcharges in place: AF and AZ forced the changes, not you.
Thanks.

Regarding the location change, don't the airlines treat SAN/SNA/LAX as all the same area, just like LGA/JFK/EWR and PBI/FLL/MIA?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:35 pm

Thanks.

Regarding the location change, don't the airlines treat SAN/SNA/LAX as all the same area, just like LGA/JFK/EWR and PBI/FLL/MIA?

Thanks again!
No.... ONT/SNA/LAX/ONT are considered co-terminals. Not LGB or SAN.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I just got off the phone with DL and apparently, even though AF has changed the flight in their system, they haven't changed it in DL's system.

What is that about? How long do I have to way for this change to be in DL's system? Is there some wait to expedite the process?

I am already shown as just being on CDG-LAX, but I wanted to leave from LHR... is there ANYTHING to do now or just "wait" as the DL SMS agent advised?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Although inventory can be zeroed out quickly, it takes considerable time and effort for an airline to adjust its schedules and to communicate the adjustments to the GDS systems and its codeshare partners, all of whom update their schedules on their own timeframes.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Although inventory can be zeroed out quickly, it takes considerable time and effort for an airline to adjust its schedules and to communicate the adjustments to the GDS systems and its codeshare partners, all of whom update their schedules on their own timeframes.
This isn't really a "codeshare", is it? It is a flight that was "purchased" with DL miles.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Is there any reason why some DL passengers that have flights next summer (even after mine) are getting rebooked and DL is telling me that my flight AF LHR-LAX is still "in their system" even though AF has completely removed it?

I don't like DL's seeming disconnect from the rest of the traveling world. I want to get my itinerary cleaned up and DL isn't helping!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
I had a similar problen LAX-LHR-CDG in May 2009 2 Business award through DL on AF. AF has already changed it in their system, DL has changed one leg but not the other. Talked to Delta and they are clueless. Called AF and was told not to worry. I have confirmed seats LAX-CDG-LAX in THEIR system and Delta should catch up shortly. She indicated that they are working from the Nov. group onward and it may take time to reroute everyone and update Delta. If you have your Delta ticket number (not res. #) go to www.airfrance.us and enter ticket search "other criteria" then enter your ticket number(13 digits) and last name. You should see your new routing on their system and that's what matters. Good Luck.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tpatta
I had a similar problen LAX-LHR-CDG in May 2009 2 Business award through DL on AF. AF has already changed it in their system, DL has changed one leg but not the other. Talked to Delta and they are clueless. Called AF and was told not to worry. I have confirmed seats LAX-CDG-LAX in THEIR system and Delta should catch up shortly. She indicated that they are working from the Nov. group onward and it may take time to reroute everyone and update Delta. If you have your Delta ticket number (not res. #) go to www.airfrance.us and enter ticket search "other criteria" then enter your ticket number(13 digits) and last name. You should see your new routing on their system and that's what matters. Good Luck.
Thanks. I did do that with the ticket number and reselected my wife and my seats on the new CDG-LAX flight. I was just hoping to be able to leave from LHR. But a night in Paris is fine (although the airport is a lot further from town than in London).

So, I guess I'll just sit pat and keep checking...

Wish DL would get a clue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.