Search

KL vs KE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
KL vs KE

Am a SkyTeam virgin....Never flown either in long haul Business Class...

I would think that KE would be better no? At least in comfort and food?

Flight on KE would be ICN - YYZ , or KL on AMS-MEX.

Any comments appreciated!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not really a longhaul person, but the consensus seems to be that KE is one of the better airlines while KL is not bad but not much above average, either (this is consistent with my short-haul experiences of them).
For AMS-MEX, I'd also look into going via CDG (which has really improved recently) then taking AM or AF across the pond.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
For AMS-MEX, I'd also look into going via CDG (which has really improved recently) then taking AM or AF across the pond.
I'd love to, but the AF YQ difference is astonishing.

On KL from LHR-AMS-MEX return, the total taxes come to around US$250. On AF, the total taxes are over US$828 , with YQ fuel surcharge at over US$500 alone!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
KE Prestige Class (Business) is SIGNIFICANTLY better then KL WorldBusiness Class (Business). If you do some searches you will find out the particulars. Both soft and hard products on KE are truly much much better than KL.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BA Silver, Accor Gold, A3
Depends on aircraft

Originally Posted by asnovici
KE Prestige Class (Business) is SIGNIFICANTLY better then KL WorldBusiness Class (Business). If you do some searches you will find out the particulars. Both soft and hard products on KE are truly much much better than KL.
Not sure if I agree because it depends what aircraft configuration you end up with at KE. I think KLM's newer WBC seats (onboard the 747 Combi's) are far more comfortable then KE's old Prestige seats (used on the A330's and some 747's I think) and I liked the entertainment choices better too. The new Prestige seats are great, but to me not significantly better than KL. Food on both is ok.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I heard KE's the quantities of food provided in KE's premium classes almost amount to starvation rations. KL is rather generous with food. I've never had to eat for the rest of the day after flying home AMS-YVR in WBC despite the mid afternoon arrival.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by joene
Not sure if I agree because it depends what aircraft configuration you end up with at KE. I think KLM's newer WBC seats (onboard the 747 Combi's) are far more comfortable then KE's old Prestige seats (used on the A330's and some 747's I think) and I liked the entertainment choices better too. The new Prestige seats are great, but to me not significantly better than KL. Food on both is ok.
Joene (are you still in Seoul? I though you would be back in AMS by now!), just to clarify, I was referring to the new Prestige seats, I think the new seats on KE are quite a bit better then KL new seats. Also, the food AND service, IMO are significantly better on KE compared to KL. I have not experienced the old seats on KE (and hope not to). Of course, in my case, I have to deal with NW WBC more often then not, and that atrocity is a whole another story

One of my other pet peeves on KL, is the well-known "upgrade the crew's friends from Y to C on a whim" technique. When I am sitting in C on KL and the seat next to me is not occupied (since I asked at check-in to block it, in case the cabin is not full), once the door closes, "friends and family" of KL crew miraculously appear from Y and take the C seats, on many many flights. I have not observed anything like that on KE (or even the sad ol'NW)

Last edited by asnovici; Aug 21, 2008 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all... but I've decided to fly on AC instead from HKG to YYZ.

I doubt I can hold on to my elite NW Gold for next year anymore as I hardly have any more flights to take this year.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BA Silver, Accor Gold, A3
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I heard KE's the quantities of food provided in KE's premium classes almost amount to starvation rations. KL is rather generous with food. I've never had to eat for the rest of the day after flying home AMS-YVR in WBC despite the mid afternoon arrival.
I agree, food is fine with KE, but I do always feel I need a snack afterwards.

Joene (are you still in Seoul? I though you would be back in AMS by now!), just to clarify, I was referring to the new Prestige seats, I think the new seats on KE are quite a bit better then KL new seats. Also, the food AND service, IMO are significantly better on KE compared to KL. I have not experienced the old seats on KE (and hope not to). Of course, in my case, I have to deal with NW WBC more often then not, and that atrocity is a whole another story

One of my other pet peeves on KL, is the well-known "upgrade the crew's friends from Y to C on a whim" technique. When I am sitting in C on KL and the seat next to me is not occupied (since I asked at check-in to block it, in case the cabin is not full), once the door closes, "friends and family" of KL crew miraculously appear from Y and take the C seats, on many many flights. I have not observed anything like that on KE (or even the sad ol'NW)

Yes, still here
To be honest the new Prestige seats are nice, but I didn't feel more comfortable then KL's WBC. But maybe that's just me And as for NWA: what can I say?

Regarding the upgrading: I haven't seen it happen, but it would annoy me too!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: M&M
Y to the crew rest area.

Well, it happens on KE, too. But in a uniquely different form.
not from Y to C, but Y to "the crew rest area"

I was flying KE in Y on an A330 from AMS-ICN last year.
My colleague, who had an operation a month before, felt really out of sort and became ill.
I called for a female purser and asked if she would let my colleague to sit in C as I had noticed the low load factor there.
Her answer was crystal clear and blunt "no".
"Sir, upgrade on board is not allowed"
To which I retorted, that the plane might be forced to make an emergency landing in Siberia, if my colleague's condition became critical.
She said " if that situations comes, we will land in Siberia, Sir"

"But, as upgrade on board is prohibited, I can offer your colleague the crew rest area as a humble alternative." She was friendly, yet very clear.

My colleague eventually slept in the crew rest area for the rest of the flight, and he was as fresh as hell by the time we landed in ICN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.