Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Might Alliance Consolidation Be On the Horizon Too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat

Just wondering today if all of the talk about airline consolidation might eventually include or lead to alliance consolidation too. 3 is not too many right now but imagine a world with DL/NW as one, UA/CO being whatever they are moving towards, AA/BA doing the same, and so on.

Just curious...

Thoughts?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
No, I can't see this happening.

Unlike airlines, we don't have too many alliances. 3 is a good number to maintain competition.

Many routes in the US are served by 10+ airlines (via hubs). This is more competition than is healthy for the industry. We need some consolidation to bring things into a healthier balance.

The individual alliances are each growing and each have decent global coverage with room for expansion. They is no real advantage to consolidation.

If everyone is in the same alliance, flyers have less incentive to fly any particular carrier. They would get benefits regardless of who they flew.

Alliances are most valuable when overlap is limited.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that we are unlikely to see an alliance disappear. The current setup is actually pretty good for carriers in most regions of the world; any further consolidation would result in too much overlap.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:12 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It is kind of lopsided with *A with so many more airlines than OW & ST. I wouldn't mind OW & ST merging, though I doubt this would actually happen
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The number of airlines matters less than the coverage provided. And as the smaller carriers join up with the existing alliances I think that ST & OW will add more partners than *A as *A seems to have most of the world pretty well covered these days while ST & OW can add more without introducing direct competition amongst their members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.