Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Continental Leaving Skyteam for Star Alliance!

Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by csgoalie
Knew it was coming, hope the significant transition period is long.
I'm giving it 12-21 months, but I wouldn't be surprised if some aspects of the transaction end up impacting DL and NW FFP members in fits and starts before that.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
This really bums me out. Saver level award tix to and from Hawaii are frequently not only easier to find on CO metal, but they offer a better product than DL offers on its own metal. (Much nicer seats than DL's domestic first in F and free meals and individual TV in Y.) I hope this "transition" takes a very long time, or at least as long as it takes me to burn through my SkyMiles.
If CO is so much better, why didn't you bank your miles in CO instead of DL?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes. And for my needs -- international routes and near-departure bookings -- it's done somewhat more easily with CO than with DL.
Especially TATL awards

Last edited by Geogirl1234; Jun 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
There are SkyTeam frequent flyers (and others too) who prefer/preferred CO airlines over DL (or some other airline) but feel/felt differently about the frequent flyer programs.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
No choice. Until recently, the company mandated which airline we had to fly on a paid basis. (They recently relented when confronted with lower priced tix elsewhere.) By that point I had banked over half a million SkyMiles. Until I moved to Hawaii, I had no reason not to bank on DL, as their service on the mainland was about the same as CO's. Once here, I found out what a big difference there was. Oh, well, there's always the NW A330 via MSP!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Well, this is not good at all! Now we are down to one domestic partner (and soon there will be none when DL and NW combine). Right?

Plus, I take it we will lose COPA as well?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Bummer? Can you actually find a Saver award on CO?
From SAN to IAH all the time.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Well, this is not good at all! Now we are down to one domestic partner (and soon there will be none when DL and NW combine). Right?

Maybe they'll invite Alaska into the alliance.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

I just had a nice award ticket experience on COPA from CTG-PTY-LAX...given Snyder's of Hanover pretzel bags (cheddar ones and it was big) on the CTG-PTY leg!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:38 pm

I don't see this as a big loss to NW/DL as long as they use this opportunity to bulk up Latin/South American routes. I do think this leaves the door open to keep the MEM hub to have a solid presence in the southern Plains/Texas region.

Biggest downside for me will be lack of SkyTeam to CRP (where the in-laws live).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Maybe they'll invite Alaska into the alliance.
one can only hope...but Alaska may like things the way they are
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Two weeks ago I found a nice Saver award from DEN-SCL during the holidays for a friend. 4 out 6 legs are on CO metal.

It would also be a bummer to lose CM as the PTY-SCL flight generally has good saver availability.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I planned on using my Delta SkyMiles to get to Brazil in Feb 09 thru Mar 09 on Continental metal. Do you think CO will allow me a seat that far away? Delta is already pretty much zero'd out for SkySaver seats during that time.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'm finding them EWR-GRU-EWR and also IAH-GRU-IAH for my dates. While Delta has nothing ATL-GRU-ATL and nothing JFK-GRU-JFK. Basically, from Nov - Feb DL is zero'd out of Saver seats but CO has a few Saver seats sprinkled around.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deejboram
I planned on using my Delta SkyMiles to get to Brazil in Feb 09 thru Mar 09 on Continental metal. Do you think CO will allow me a seat that far away? Delta is already pretty much zero'd out for SkySaver seats during that time.
If standard award space is available (or made available by CO) for general CO FFP members during that period, then you will be able to redeem DL miles for such a trip too. Award tickets already issued by DL before CO leaves SkyTeam will be honored by CO for travel. In other words, you are likely to be as able to use your miles for a Feb. 2009 - March 2009 trip on CO as you would be even without this UA-CO deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.