Wiki Posts
Search

Shall I try China Southern AMS-PEK-CAN?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ G; FB G; HHonors Gold;
Shall I try China Southern AMS-PEK-CAN?

Hi, anybody has tried China Southern AMS-CAN with stop at PEK? I cannot find any info by searching.

Due to the new company's "cost-saving" policy, I can take only economy class this time. (I hope not always....)

Do they have personal TV for economy class?
How is FB Platinum treated by CS?
Can I choose the exit seast in advance? (Since it is CS metal and KLM coded, I don't think KLM OLCI will work.)
Any chance for an ugrade (with miles or free of charge).
Is the business class good enough for an ugarde with miles?

Or shall I take AMS-HKG and then take the bus? (I have tried it once and it was really not my first choice.)

Many many tks.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Try to avoid it. Other non-China's Economy Class should be way better.

If your company can afford a bit more and give you Air France/Malaysia, you should take Economy for these two airlines. However, you will need to look closely for Malaysia as it code-shares with China Southern as well on some planes. Air France would just need to take a short layover at CDG (which is the same as taking a layover at PEK).

Another option would be fly to HKG, then take a short flight with CZ from HKG to CAN (this short flight will be bearable as it's only 45 minutes). It will be split into two tickets, but may be cheaper than going direct with CZ or AF! You can go with Cathay Pacific for direct flight from AMS to HKG, then take CZ (KA codeshared) from HKG to CAN.
Old May 15, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Dear Coolfish,

Tks for your prompt reply. Because the Controller comes with me, I don't think I can do too many things... I am trying to change it to HKG and then take the airport express and further with the direct train to Guangzhou Downtown.

Is CZ really that bad with the international sector? I have tried their domestic flights many times. So far so good (except that they did not let me into the lounge last month.)
Old May 15, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Domestic are bearable since they are short. I doubt you want to be with them for any long-haul flights. IMO, within the China region, it's best to take Dragonair and Cathay Pacific.
Old May 16, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Unless the rules have changed very recently, exit seats are only available to Mandarin speakers on CZ.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I have changed it to HKG. Many tks again for all your advices.

I will wait till CZ receives the first A380. Then I will try them.
Old May 17, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: NWA Plat
Originally Posted by wavyfly
How is FB Platinum treated by CS?

They will come to great you personally because you are Skyteam E+. Well, even ST Elite can get personal greating. I never had such experience on other ST flights
Old May 18, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Dear 300D,

Well, that greeting cannot help me pass 9 hours flight comfortably.... :=)

tks anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.