Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Awards Ticket to Mongolia on Korean Air - mileage required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld

Hey guys. I'm hoping to get to Mongolia later in the year, and it looks like an Awards Ticket on Korean Air may be the best way to go. I'll probably book it with Delta Miles, although if need be, I could do so with AF/KLM or perhaps another partner if it's more favorable.

Beginning with Delta or AF/KLM, though, does anyone know before I call them up how many miles will be required for both Economy and Business? Secondly, will it make a difference if it is a direct flight from ICN versus getting a connection from either BKK, SIN, or HKG? (Ideally I would prefer the free connection if possible, as I don't have ICN on any current itineraries.)

Yes, I did check the charts, but as I read it, it's showing Mongolia as being in the SE Asia region, and listing only 25/30k miles required for Economy/Business. This seems like a pretty good deal for a flight that is $800+ in Economy. Is that correct, or am I likely to hear another story when I go to book?

Thanks for any advice. Also, if you've done this before, let me know, as it would be good to get some more details from anyone who has done this.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm reading the charts the same as you are, showing ICN-Mongolia as a 25K reward in Y and a 30K reward in J using Delta SkyMiles. I highly doubt you'll be able to add a routing via BKK/SIN/HKG, as the flights are likely non-stop from ICN.

If you were using CO miles the same 25/30K rewards might cost as much as 50/70K, so the DL option looks pretty good there.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by sbm12
I highly doubt you'll be able to add a routing via BKK/SIN/HKG, as the flights are likely non-stop from ICN.
I think what the OP had in mind were routings like BKK/SIN/HKG-ICN-ULN. I don't see why this would not be allowed. (And the only other option would be flying SU via SVO - if 6 hours in a Tupolev Tu 154 sounds like your idea of fun, that is)
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Originally Posted by apoivre
I think what the OP had in mind were routings like BKK/SIN/HKG-ICN-ULN. I don't see why this would not be allowed. (And the only other option would be flying SU via SVO - if 6 hours in a Tupolev Tu 154 sounds like your idea of fun, that is)
Yep, that's correct. It does indeed look like a good deal, so I'll post what happens when I try to ticket it with DL (it may be a while as I'm currently traveling). Thanks for the comments.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Yep, that's correct. It does indeed look like a good deal, so I'll post what happens when I try to ticket it with DL (it may be a while as I'm currently traveling). Thanks for the comments.
I used DL miles to get 3 award tickets on Korean from ICN-ULN for 25k. It was a great deal since as you mentioned those tickets were going for around $750 then.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hi Zakami,

Did they say how many miles would be required if the trip starts from outside Korea?

Explore
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Did they say how many miles would be required if the trip starts from outside Korea?
The DL chart shows SE Asia -> SE Asia as a 25/30K reward. You should get it at that rate for BKK/SIN/HKG - ICN - ULN. Shouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.