Advice: NYC to Italy on Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:40 pm
tff
Original Poster

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Advice: NYC to Italy on Skyteam

Hi everyone,

I'll be flying from NYC to Rome later this month and then coming back from FLR or PSA. I'm FB Gold and usually travel AF on international flights; I've already flown both KL and CO accross the pond too, and will be flying AZ soon.
What I wanted to ask you was your opinion (past experiences, service, comfort on board) regarding cheaper alternatives in Y with 100% of miles accrual for the dates I have to fly:

All feedback will be very much appreciated.
      Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:25 pm

NW A330 is very nice in coach. AVOD, free drinks and in-seat power in the front of the cabin. I'd go for that. Plus AMS is relatively easy to connect through.
      Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:49 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
      IIRC the 330's have a power port (standard US outlet, not empower) in the front half of the coach cabin. They also have the sour NW FA's, and personally I don't like airbusses (they feel to flimsy). Also, you have a longer trip, connecting through AMS (although that means you earn more miles).

I'm very partial to the JFK-PSA flight. The schedule is very nice (leave at 8 p.m., eat dinner, and fall asleep, arrive late morning in PSA). The JFK-FCO flight leaves earlier in the afternoon, arrives predawn at FCO, which I find to be a less restful schedule (but it has the advantage of no connection, and you end up with a full day in Rome). The 763's feel very solid, makes for a nice flight, and the DL FA's are as good as or better than you'll find on any U.S. airlines.

PSA is a very nice airport, but you'd miss the 11:15 flight to FCO, have to either wait for the 7:35 flight or take a train. If you can catch the 11:43 train from PSA to Florence you'll connect to a Rome train, arriving there at 14:55 p.m. If you miss that train, there is another at 12:43, gets in at 16:03; additional choices every half hour or so. The train costs €41.50 in Y and €59.40 in F.
      Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:42 pm
      tff
      Original Poster

Thank you for your replies, Lurker1999 and Gargoyle.
      I finally have the dates in which I will fly and after checking availability and prices, I have decided... to stick to AF (flying out of BLQ in the inbound flight). I might try NW in the next opportunity, though.
      Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:02 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
      Originally Posted by tff
      I have decided... to stick to AF
      The morning flights from Italy tend to schedule with connection times between 50 and 70 minutes at CDG.... insufficient IMHO. Make sure you have enough time to connect there, since the outbounds from Italy often leave 15 minutes late.
      Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:20 pm
      tff
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
      The morning flights from Italy tend to schedule with connection times between 50 and 70 minutes at CDG.... insufficient IMHO. Make sure you have enough time to connect there, since the outbounds from Italy often leave 15 minutes late.
      Thank you for the caveat. I guess that won't be a problem, because I'll be taking an afternoon flight from BLQ with a 90 mins. connection:
      AZ 7316 BLQ 15:35 CDG 17:20 318
      DL 8554 CDG 18:50 JFK 20:55 772

I have, however, a few doubts regarding the outbound flight, which I have posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802777. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you once again.
      Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
      DL's n/s from JFK on the 763 isn't a bad option. I prefer NW's 333, but then you must layover at AMS (there are worse airports to layover at). AF's 777 via CDG is also comfy

Overall any airline that is NOT Alitalia is a good option. Most days I would take Ryan Air over Alitalia on TATL hops.

.........but really if you want the TATL comfort and have to take a layover NW's 333 is the most comfortable.

-Fish
      Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:10 pm
      tff
      Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, sefrischling!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.