Wiki Posts
Search

flyLAL next associate carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
flyLAL next associate carrier?

Looks like flyLAL - Lithuanian Airlines may be the next associate carrier. So far I can't find a link in English.

http://www.vtv.lt/naujienos/transpor...aljanso-3.html
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Associates join with a sponsor generally, including using that sponsor's FF program. Any idea who would be sponsoring flyLAL? My Lithuanian is a bit rusty so I couldn't figure it out from the article
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Interesting news. As for partner, my guess would be AF-KL.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad1974
Interesting news. As for partner, my guess would be AF-KL.
Maybe CSA can pull this one off (not like last time when they sponsored Malev for a year before the Hungarians decided to join oneworld!).
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
FlyLAL is a low cost carrier (alike to Air Baltic, Air Berlin, Germanwings). While I think its a better option for ST then Uzbekistan Airways, its not THAT exciting either. Whats the logic nehind it? What real benefits does that offer?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asnovici
FlyLAL is a low cost carrier (alike to Air Baltic, Air Berlin, Germanwings).
Not true. They do offer business class, connections, and (already) an FFP.

While I think its a better option for ST then Uzbekistan Airways, its not THAT exciting either. Whats the logic nehind it? What real benefits does that offer?
I agree it's not going to create a massive shift in the market, and SU and OK have most of these destinations well-covered, but it's good to have some more regional service, particularly for complicated itins (e.g. RTWs or multi-airline awards) or if you simply need to get an award flight to Moscow and seats on everyone else are taken.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: Many, most dormant...
Originally Posted by sbm12
Associates join with a sponsor generally, including using that sponsor's FF program. Any idea who would be sponsoring flyLAL? My Lithuanian is a bit rusty so I couldn't figure it out from the article
Well, you definitely need to freshen it up in that case

The article doesn't single out a particular ST partner, only mentioning that TE is already "cooperating with Aeroflot, KLM, Alitalia and Air-France".

The criteria and date of joining as an associated partner should become known soon.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
Not true. They do offer business class, connections, and (already) an FFP.
Indeed.

For those of us based in VNO, the news is highly welcomed
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:52 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
FlyLAL is a low cost carrier (alike to Air Baltic, Air Berlin, Germanwings). While I think its a better option for ST then Uzbekistan Airways, its not THAT exciting either. Whats the logic nehind it? What real benefits does that offer?
Even if it doesn't offer any benefits for you (or other people in your situation), surely it will offer benefits for some people, right? Also, seeing it the other way, it offers no harm either! Ditto with Uzbekistan Airways.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by nomad1974
Even if it doesn't offer any benefits for you (or other people in your situation), surely it will offer benefits for some people, right? Also, seeing it the other way, it offers no harm either! Ditto with Uzbekistan Airways.
Don't take me wrong, the more the merrier, it certainly creates more options for some people. I would certainly not complain about adding a new member to ST, its just the coverage of this particular carrier ,in my opinion, is very limited. I am thinking there are other geographical areas and carriers ST needs to focus on (Australia/Oceania comes to mind immediately, followed by South America to a lesser degree) before expanding a rather saturated European presence.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
FlyLAL Invited to Become Member of SkyTeam Alliance (source : RIA Oreanda)

On 17 March 2008 was announced, that flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines is invited to join the international SkyTeam alliance as an associate member. Following near two-year negotiation, the Executive Committee of alliance confirmed that the Lithuanian airline meets the requirements set for alliance membership. Having become an associated member of SkyTeam alliance, flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines will be a preferential alliance partner in the whole Eastern Europe. Final criteria for admission to SkyTeam alliance and the admission date will be confirmed in the short run.

Upon joining the alliance as a member, flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines will offer passengers more services and privileges. Passengers of flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines will be able to spend points collected in the loyalty programmes when selecting flights of alliance partners; they will also have a possibility to buy more connecting flights under favourable prices. A system for using business class lounges, also a check-in of flight and baggage to the final destination will be standardised with all alliance members.

SkyTeam is a worldwide airline alliance, partnering passenger and cargo carriers. Aeroflot, Aeromexico, Alitalia, ČSA, Delta, KLM, Korean Air, Northwest, Air France, etc. are the members of the alliance. Already now flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines co-operates with alliance members such as Aeroflot, KLM, Alitalia, Air-France and offers passengers connecting flights via Amsterdam, Moscow, Paris, Milan and Rome.

In September 2007, SkyTeam alliance admitted the first associated members: AirEuropa, Copa Airlines and Kenya Airways. This year SkyTeam enlarges membership and, besides flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines, it currently discusses opportunities of twenty more airlines to become the associated members of alliance. To be an associate member of SkyTeam alliance means recognition – membership demonstrates not only high standards of services offered to passengers, but also evidences that internal processes of the airline meet the requirements of alliance, told flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines CEO Tadas Pukšta describing the peculiarities of membership in the international alliance. According to him, security, quality and standardisation processes of the Lithuanian airline were always on top, thus negotiations to join alliance did not require extraordinary efforts.

Today we negotiate with great consideration and discuss what suits our customers best. The airline may be more flexible towards the needs of customers - it is not bound by obligations regarding changes in ticket prices and flight destinations when it is not a member of alliance. Free from membership in alliance flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines can make offers to clients, launch actions, open new flight directions more easily because it is not required to co-ordinate actions with other alliance partners towards activities in their markets, said CEO of Lithuanian airline enumerating advantages and shortcomings.

According to him, although Lithuanian airlines strives to become the member of a prestigious airline alliance, negotiations with SkyTeam are based on the principle of not loosing an opportunity to be sensitive to the market needs and flexible in offers to the customers. In any way, according to T. Pukšta, the outcome of negotiations depends on the interests of flyLAL – Lithuanian Airlines passengers.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:04 am

Which FF Program??

All the other associates came in using the FF program of one of the full members as a sponsor. I wonder what flyLAL will be changing to, if anything.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:34 am

All the other associates came in using the FF program of one of the full members as a sponsor. I wonder what flyLAL will be changing to, if anything.
... and what fate awaits the miles accumulated in the existing TE programme.

About a month ago they introduced an expiry date, and a rather short one at that - two years.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by GlobalSights
... and what fate awaits the miles accumulated in the existing TE programme.

About a month ago they introduced an expiry date, and a rather short one at that - two years.
I would assume that previously accumulated miles would transfer over to the new program at a reasonable ratio. And a 2 year expiration isn't all that terrible, as long as it can be extended through activity such as a hotel stay. JetBlue doesn't even allow for that
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:51 pm

And a 2 year expiration isn't all that terrible, as long as it can be extended through activity such as a hotel stay. JetBlue doesn't even allow for that
Neither do FlyLAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.