China Airlines (CI) next ST member

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
China Airlines (CI) next ST member

From ATWonline:

Monday January 14, 2008
China Airlines will be announced as the next full member of the SkyTeam alliance this year, a source close to the carrier told ATWOnline. Talks between CI and SkyTeam members started last autumn.

by Kurt Hofmann
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hopefully at full EQM for all their tickets. I flew them a few months ago, and thought the service was okay, but they had one of the worst cattle-like boarding lines I've ever seen.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
I have to admit to being very surprised at this , I would have expected all the alliances to steer clear of Taiwanese carriers for fear of upsetting the PRC - it will be interesting to see what the PRC Government would think about CZ having any form of co-operation with CI , it also seems to me that even though they cover very different markets TPE and CAN are rather close together as hubs go ( yes , I realise that they are not as close as DL's JFK hub and CO's EWR hub or NW's DTW hub , CO's CLE hub and DL's CVG hub ) considering how poor Skyteams coverage of Asia is at the moment I would have thought that MH would have brought a lot more value to the alliance than the carrier of a country which brings with it major political baggage
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I have to admit to being very surprised at this , I would have expected all the alliances to steer clear of Taiwanese carriers for fear of upsetting the PRC - it will be interesting to see what the PRC Government would think about CZ having any form of co-operation with CI , it also seems to me that even though they cover very different markets TPE and CAN are rather close together as hubs go ( yes , I realise that they are not as close as DL's JFK hub and CO's EWR hub or NW's DTW hub , CO's CLE hub and DL's CVG hub ) considering how poor Skyteams coverage of Asia is at the moment I would have thought that MH would have brought a lot more value to the alliance than the carrier of a country which brings with it major political baggage
I think this a great thing China airlines is very nice airline with nice route network for Asia, if MH also joins in 2009 then the coverage of Asia for skyteam is really good with CI,CZ,KE,MH and NW at NRT is will rival *alliance network.I dont think the hubs thing is a problem look at *allaince they have have hubs at BKK and SIN which are also very close.I dont think the Political issue is such a big factor, every year with chinese year there a numerous charters between taiwan and the mainland s i dont think the PRC would make a big deal out of it.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
If true, I'd bet this bodes poorly for CO's partnership with EVA. A shame, as their Elite class (Y+) is often very reasonably priced.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
From ATWonline:

Monday January 14, 2008
China Airlines will be announced as the next full member of the SkyTeam alliance this year, a source close to the carrier told ATWOnline. Talks between CI and SkyTeam members started last autumn.

by Kurt Hofmann
Do you know which specific dates for CI join entry ST? I remember CI does not join the alliance while ago either 2005 or 2006. It doesn't seem more reasonable CI will eventually join the ST Alliance. I'm ensure CI will begin negotiations with ST board members.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
For those who want the link:

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....37;2F14%2F2008
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:21 pm

I have to admit to being very surprised at this , I would have expected all the alliances to steer clear of Taiwanese carriers for fear of upsetting the PRC - it will be interesting to see what the PRC Government would think about CZ having any form of co-operation with CI
It may be easier in the next couple of years than in years past given the KMT's wins yesterday. There is a lot of talk right now of improving relations and doing more cross-strait business.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:28 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Why would anybody invite CI to join any alliance boggles me. They've got a very shady safety record. Other than their convenient flight schedules, I am not going to sacrifice safety over ultra early bird/red eye flights across the Pacific.

It would make sense to invite MH or QR.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by kkua
Why would anybody invite CI to join any alliance boggles me. They've got a very shady safety record. Other than their convenient flight schedules, I am not going to sacrifice safety over ultra early bird/red eye flights across the Pacific.

CI certainly had some cockpit management accidents in the 90s and earlier, but the only two incidents this century were an aging 747-200 that was on the verge of being sold that suffered a structural failure and the 737-800 that caught fire after landing in Okinawa this past summer. That incident (no fatalities) was due to faulty flap actuator bolts and led to a worldwide airworthiness directive to all B737 operators.

Neither of this incidents were the fault of CI or its crew/maintanence. The current fleet of CI aircraft averages under 6 years old, but the 737 fire shows that even a new plane can have issues.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by kkua

QR if it decides to join an alliance might join *.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This is certainly welcomed by me. With my recent frequent trips to the Philippines that won't be ending anytime soon, CI can cut a huge amount of travel time for me. Their schedule via TPE is great for us going to southern points in Asia and should be welcomed by you who need to use Skyteam to get to OZ too.

Its been a few years since I've flown on CI since I couldn't earn elite miles. I don't remember the planes being very modern, but the seat pitch in Y seemed decent. Their planes are no worse than MH (at least in Y) and the prices are frequently lower than alliance carriers. Safety really hasn't been an issue for many years... I was nervous about flying them before, but not now. Hey, maybe if we're lucky they'll allow F awards for DL, NW, or CO miles.

I really want to see MH in Skyteam just for awards wholly within SEA, but at the moment this is actually much better news for me.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 16, 2008 at 3:18 am
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
... - it will be interesting to see what the PRC Government would think about CZ having any form of co-operation with CI , ... considering how poor Skyteams coverage of Asia is at the moment I would have thought that MH would have brought a lot more value to the alliance than the carrier of a country which brings with it major political baggage
CI already has commercial co-operation with CZ, CA and MU for many years. The PRC government isn't against such commercial ties between the two lands. I agree that it would bring more value to ST when and if MH joins the alliance.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP, TK Gold, Bonvoy Titatium
Good news!

I will be glad to hear that CI is joining ST.

I am also hoping to see MH in ST too.

I tried to wrote to ST to encourage them to take in MH, but to no avail.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Gold, SPG Gold, AA, UA, BA
OK, looks like I have to start reading up on my airline codes. I thought CZ was Czech, so what does it have to do with Asia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.