Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

SkyTeam associate means??

Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald

I fly to Africa and use Kenya Airways (KQ) a lot. I am a NWA PE and get the miles but does KQ moving to ST associate mean I might eventually start getting EQM's as well? Or is that still for Flying Blue members?
Whats does associate mean?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by gatechange
I fly to Africa and use Kenya Airways (KQ) a lot. I am a NWA PE and get the miles but does KQ moving to ST associate mean I might eventually start getting EQM's as well? Or is that still for Flying Blue members?
Whats does associate mean?
You can earn status miles on any other Skyteam carrier when you fly on KQ. The associate status simply means that the carrier does not have its own FF program, that it uses the FF program of another Skyteam carrier. For example, COPA uses CO OnePass as its FF program.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:58 am

Programs: PM - Delta, Hilton - Diamond
as of 5 minutes ago, NWA's website still claims that KQ flights do not earn EQMs.

This is frustrating to me as well, as I make about 6-7 trips to Africa a year. I've asked several people at the plat desk about this and have gotten no good answer.

You might be better off flying KLM from Amsterdam and then taking KQ for short hops from Kenya, if KLM does not fly directly to where you want to go
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
You can earn status miles on any other Skyteam carrier when you fly on KQ. The associate status simply means that the carrier does not have its own FF program, that it uses the FF program of another Skyteam carrier.
That, and the fact that the associate airlines are not eligible to vote on alliance matters.
From a pax perspective, the service/benefits received should be no different than a full member.
Obviously it would help if existing ST members amended their earning tables each time someone new joined, but seems like they can't be arsed.
As of yesterday, CSA still don't know/haven't decided on the OK+ earning rates for CZ flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.