Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FC, NW
Aeroflot near SkyTeam entry.

http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=4862

I wonder how close they really are?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:57 pm

Programs: NW Plat, UA PE, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Delta Platinum Medalion.
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=4862

I wonder how close they really are?
They are so close, there is talk that Stoli will replace Skyy...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:03 am

When you have a subject, find the right one forum and post it there. No need to post the same in all forums you think is right. Here is the same thread in the Northwest forum and the Delta forum.

This thread actually belongs in the Sky Team forum!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm moving this to the SkyTeam forum.

XYZZY
Co forum moderator
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 1K
Can' wait to fly Aeroflot. Wonder if they'll have free upgrades.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Are visa's required to transit Russia? I'm thinking that SU might provide an inexpensive alternative from Europe to Asia.

Steve
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:49 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Well, that depends on your nationality, but for those who need a visa for Russia, the rules are: If you don't have to change terminals (the dreadful SVO2 is Int'l, the even more dreadful SVO1 is domestic and CIS), no visa is needed. If you do on a SU ticket, SU will profide a transfer bus, no visa is needed either. But if I were you I'd wait for the much-awaited SVO3 (2007?) before trying to connect in Russia

The fares can be unbelievable - for instance this December you could've booked anywhere in Europe - SVO - SIN/NRT/HKG/BOM rt (travel in Jan-March) for EUR99+$249+taxes - and SU doesn't pay taxes at SVO
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not think IAD-SVO is nonstop, as mention in one of the terminated threads. The flight is IAD-NYC-SVO.

Looks like I am wrong, I found non-stops IAD-SVO!

The big thing to me is that C class is only about $2300 IAD-SVO, although, the seats do not seem to be as large as many Transatlantic C seats. The 767 is 2 2 2, and the 777(shown on their site) is 2 4 2, as opposed to industry standard 2 1 2 and 2 3 2. Maybe they bought a wider set of planes.

The 777 shows a 2 2 2 first class.

I would assume treatment of C class SU in SVO is better than with other airlines.

Last edited by slawecki; Jan 10, 2005 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
I think that if you are planning on spending any time at all in Russia you need a visa.

It's one of the few places in the world where I wouldn't go unless I was part of a tour group, where visas and all other documentation are taken care of for the entire group in advance.

Trafalgar Tours is one of the tour groups that does regular trips within Russia. I haven't been yet, but I have friends who have gone and loved it.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CateyBeth
I think that if you are planning on spending any time at all in Russia you need a visa.

It's one of the few places in the world where I wouldn't go unless I was part of a tour group, where visas and all other documentation are taken care of for the entire group in advance.

Trafalgar Tours is one of the tour groups that does regular trips within Russia. I haven't been yet, but I have friends who have gone and loved it.
I don't understand why one would require a tour group. Visas are easy(but expensive), and Russians in Petersburg and Moscow are avid English speakers/learners.

The only place I had a problem was at the train station trying to get a ticket LED-MOW. The clerk said it correctly, but I could not believe that my first 4 overnight choices were full. Had the hotel book the train.

Learning the cerylic(sp) alphabet really helps.

Just came back from 2 weeks in Egypt. Now there's a place you want a guide, a driver, a seatbelt, and a crash helmet.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by slawecki
I don't understand why one would require a tour group. Visas are easy(but expensive), and Russians in Petersburg and Moscow are avid English speakers/learners.

The only place I had a problem was at the train station trying to get a ticket LED-MOW. The clerk said it correctly, but I could not believe that my first 4 overnight choices were full. Had the hotel book the train.

Learning the cerylic(sp) alphabet really helps.

Just came back from 2 weeks in Egypt. Now there's a place you want a guide, a driver, a seatbelt, and a crash helmet.

Agree with all of the above. I have even started to rent apartments by the day when in St. Petersburg.

As to Visas, I recommend using a service. I know a good one in NY that makes it very easy.

Also, recommend having a car pick you up at the airport (I know good drivers in Moscow and St. Petersburg.) as the taxi drivers at the airport can be difficult. Other than that, a great place to visit.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:45 pm

Aeroflot is now on Sabre, which was one of the requirements to get into Sky Team. I hope it's soon -- I'll be taking a trip to Moscow in June or July, and having an extra option for using my Amex rewards points would be nice (I can transfer points to Delta and book a SkyTeam reward, assuming anything is still available.)
Old May 4, 2005, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Any updates on Aeroflot's entry into SkyTeam?
Old May 5, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
They had a press conference a few days ago and mentioned "early in 2006" (although major press keeps saying about their entry "in the course of 2005")

Last edited by apoivre; May 5, 2005 at 9:56 am
Old May 6, 2005, 12:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
my Aeroflot gold card...

... was due to expire this may, Aeroflot Bonus program has changed, switched to SABRE and all elite members (at once) have their status extended till the end of Fedruary 2006 ... so my guess would be March 1st 2006 is might be the date )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.