Wiki Posts
Search

AF lounge access question- CAI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
AF lounge access question- CAI

I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere, will I have complimentary access to the Air France/KLM lounge at CAI airport? I'm flying a codeshare flight (booked through Delta, Air France Metal and AF flight number). I'm currently a Delta PM (Skyteam Elite Plus). Flying economy class, Seat Plus upgraded due to PM status however. This is a paid ticket, not miles/award. And if I do have lounge access, will my companion without Medallion status also gain free access as they do at Delta and other AF lounges for international flights? Thanks in advance to whoever can definitively answer this question, as I've received several conflicting answers.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I would tend to say no, because DL restricts lounge access for Y pax in contract lounges, even when you fly DL metal. So there's no way it could be different flying Skyteam partners. In CAI, it's not an AF lounge but a contract lounge (if it would have been an AF or a Skyteam lounge, it would have been OK).
But you have no risk to try. In any case, you won't miss a lot with this lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:35 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It is quite confusing that lounge access is a Skyteam elite+ perk, however, the available lounges differ per FFP and even operating airline. I'd be very curious if the OP would (or wouldn't) get access.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is quite confusing that lounge access is a Skyteam elite+ perk, however, the available lounges differ per FFP and even operating airline. I'd be very curious if the OP would (or wouldn't) get access.
it's confusing and very frustrating because they play with contract lounges versus airline- or alliance-branded lounge which is completely ridiculous from customer point of view. And DL is the worst because they even restrict contract lounge access to their own Elite+ members traveling DL Y long haul. AF doesn't do that for FB members.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Update

Update-

I called AF directly and waited on hold forever. Finally I was told that I DO get access to this specific lounge just as I would at any other AF lounge, complete with a free guest, due to it being an international flight. (I don't have a Sky Club membership, I'm just a PM with Reserve card)

We went to the lounge at CAI on 9/28 and got in by showing my PM card and AF boarding passes. This is not an AF lounge, nor was it marked AF in any way. It is the Saudia lounge called Al Fursan. There is a Skyteam logo next to the Saudia logo at the entry. It is a very, very nice lounge with an excellent selection of hot and cold food. Many local/ethnic dishes, including lamb even. The only minor disappointment was the lack of alcoholic beverages, though that could be expected in a predominantly Arab country. If in Cairo, I highly recommend a visit! I hope this info helps fellow travelers...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Indeed the situation at CAI is very strange for SkyTeam flights...I tried using the Saudia lounge when flying AZ in both Business and with my ST E+ status, but got rejected and had to use the contract lounge of AZ.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Indeed the situation at CAI is very strange for SkyTeam flights...I tried using the Saudia lounge when flying AZ in both Business and with my ST E+ status, but got rejected and had to use the contract lounge of AZ.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but now that AZ is flying out of Terminal 2, if I'm a SkyTeam Elite Plus flying AZ J to FCO and then onwards long haul to the US, can I get into the Al Fursan Lounge? Would really like to check it out!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Sorry to bump an old thread, but now that AZ is flying out of Terminal 2, if I'm a SkyTeam Elite Plus flying AZ J to FCO and then onwards long haul to the US, can I get into the Al Fursan Lounge? Would really like to check it out!
As far as I can say from experience 3 months ago, Saudia is still NOT letting ST E+ (of even in J class) members to use their lounge when flying non-Saudia flights. There is really no use arguing with them using any rules dictated in the ST rules, they will stand their ground and send you to the lounge dedicated to the contract lounge as per your operating carrier.
The reason always provided from the lounge dragon is that they have no contract with AF/AZ, etc...I am curious what is the real reason behind this...never bothered to escalate this to customer service of my FFP (in this case Flying Blue).
Sadly it does look like one of the better lounges used by any of the ST carriers operating into CAI - at least from the outside.

Cheers!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nldogbert
As far as I can say from experience 3 months ago, Saudia is still NOT letting ST E+ (of even in J class) members to use their lounge when flying non-Saudia flights. There is really no use arguing with them using any rules dictated in the ST rules, they will stand their ground and send you to the lounge dedicated to the contract lounge as per your operating carrier.
The reason always provided from the lounge dragon is that they have no contract with AF/AZ, etc...I am curious what is the real reason behind this...never bothered to escalate this to customer service of my FFP (in this case Flying Blue).
Sadly it does look like one of the better lounges used by any of the ST carriers operating into CAI - at least from the outside.

Cheers!
Thank you for the reply. That is unfortunate that they are not following the SkyTeam rules. I just sent Saudia and SaudiaCares on Twitter a message asking them about why their lounge staff are doing this; will update if they reply, and with my experience. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.