Search

New to Skyteam - Who do I choose

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
New to Skyteam - Who do I choose

Brains Trust Question.

Based in Sydney Australia, about to book a fare on Garuda for a one way J flight SYD DPS - used to have Garuda Silver - havn't been on GA for years so no longer a member.

Just wondering if I am better off rejoining Garuda FF or is there a better choice of program within the Skyteam Alliance to credit flights towards.

(I know that Star Alliance had Aegean who you get get a fast track to the top level with so just wondering if there was an opportunity with Skyteam).

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May be on interest (click to open the wikis)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html Garuda have 3 year hard expiry
http://www.wheretocredit.com/garuda-indonesia/j
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Many thanks - I am currently exploring options and it looks like GA might well be the best program for me.

They have been very good in the past - I know I used up all my points back in 2015, just before they were to expire - bought a top up and got SYD CGK in J - and then used my partners with a top up for CGK KUL in J - very easy to do - just rang the SYD office and within a few mins the flights were comfirmed - emailed forms for authorise the use of points, the credit card to authorise the purchase - and once they were sent back e tickets arrived within 30 mins. I was very impressed with the service
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Doesn't sound like you do a lot of Skyteam flying. Keep in mind, while far from a perfect program, Delta miles don't expire, and you can use them for Virgin Australia flights.

Garuda could be an interesting program if they ever run a sale again like they did earlier this year. There was a very short time (few days I think) where award tickets were bookable at 90% off normal pricing. It didn't seem like a mistake, so could potentially pop up again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.