Wiki Posts
Search

Crediting miles on mixed flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Crediting miles on mixed flights

I am looking at a mixed itinerary - KL/AF with AV/CM. I am not sure which airline will ticket - probably KL, but possibly another (will find out when I get the etkt...)

I am not sure how the miles will go - I am familiar with *A, but less so with ST and the "marketing carrier". Is it as simple as the KL/AF flights going to my Skymiles, and the AV/CM flights going to my Mileageplus miles ?

I am assuming the PNR will have a single FF number ? Which means that I will have to ensure each airline has the correct one at check-in/at the gate ?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will depend on the flight numbers.
If any turn out to be codeshares can be a complication with earning.
As to if each segment can have a different ff number thats a good question (for later). Have read on FT DL does not allow that.
Not putting your ff number and then retro credit will work, but then no benefits from status if you have any. Keep all the boarding passes.

What fare class?
http://www.wheretocredit.com/klm
http://www.wheretocredit.com/af
http://www.wheretocredit.com/avianca
http://www.wheretocredit.com/copa-airlines
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If KL tickets this and uses AF/KL codes on the AV/CM flights, then these flights would not earn in Skymiles. I can't imagine that they would earn in Mileage Plus if booked as AF or KL codeshares either.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
As stated above, when the AV/CM flights are under KL flight numbers they would only earn in the Flying Blue programme. With AZ's programme the rule "Operating carrier must be Skyteam" is false, thus, no miles.

However you may still have chances to earn in a Star Alliance program. I had a similar situation recently:

Multiple Skyteam flights (RO), including one which was operated by Aegean (Star Alliance) with RO-flightnumbers/codeshare.

All the Skyteam-operated flights posted nicely to my Flying Blue profile, the Aegean operated one did not. I happen to be member of the Aegean M+B programme too, and just put in the PNR there - and the flight was credited there instantly. Even though my Flying Blue number was in the booking, and the flight was under RO (Skyteam) codeshare.

If this would always work I don't know - it may very well be that it worked because the flight was operated by Aegean and I credited to Aegean - the way they check if a flight may/can be retro-claimed may be somewhat 'easier' for their own flights. However I'd say that you do have some chances retro-claiming to a Star Alliance programme.

Edit: One more remark: These KL/AV/CM flights are often also bookable under the flight numbers of the actual operators - thus no codeshares. You may have to book through an OTA instead of the KLM website (and even on the KLM website it may be possible in some cases). When booked as CM/AV flights you should have no problems retro-crediting the flights to a star-alliance programme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.