Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Is New Air France Cocoon Business Product worth increasing my layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is New Air France Cocoon Business Product worth increasing my layover?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Post Is New Air France Cocoon Business Product worth increasing my layover?

Hey Everyone,

Been reading this forum for quite some time but this is my first post.

I will be flying from TLV to New York in 2 weeks.
I usually fly United as they provide direct flights, but this time I will stop at Paris for 2 days on the return so i've decided to go with Air France.
Now i actually needed to get to EWR but it looks like the product might not be the best by Delta so opting to skip this one, but this is why i'm writing this post to get advised.

Here's the legs and advice I would like to have:
-TLV - CDG - A320 Business product same as economic 7:45 - 11:45
- 1. CDG - EWR - Delta 767 Business - 1:50PM - 4:53PM - Poor product from reviews read
- 2. CDG - JFK - AF 006 A380 - 1:35PM - 4:05PM - Air France's Old Business Product
- 3. CDG - JFK - AF 010 777-300ER - 3:35PM - 6:10PM - Air France New Business Product

So my main questions are:
I. How bad is the Delta 767, is it really worth skipping and getting to JFK instead?
II. Assuming i've opted for JFK , is the new business product worth the extra 2 hours wait at CDG?

For the return having similar concerns, options are now a little bit different, really opting to reach Paris by morning

- EWR - CDG - 6:40 PM - 8:00 AM - Delta 767 - Would still want to avoid this 767
- JFK - CDG - 6:17 PM - 7:35 AM - Delta A330-300 Business, not quite familiar with this offering but i think it's a better one
- JFK - Paris Orly - 6:15 PM - 7:30 AM - Air France 777-200ER - Old Business Product
- JFK - CDG - 11:30 PM - 12:20 PM - Air France 777-300ER - New Business Product
Again the schedule is not the best for the new offering but would gain some time in new york versus loosing time in Paris, for the return my question is mostly how good is the Delta A330 business product versus Air France's ones.

Hope the most experienced can assist me on this

(had a mistake modified the Delta A330 on return for origin JFK and not EWR)

Thanks a lot

Last edited by schammah; Nov 27, 2016 at 12:21 am Reason: mistake in data
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Delta's A330 is pretty good -and since that is from EWR, that is definitely your best option.

As for the outbound, if you need to get to EWR, fly the DL 767 and try to get row 1. If you get row 1 it is ok - especially on a daytime flight.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:25 am
Original Poster

thanks

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Delta's A330 is pretty good -and since that is from EWR, that is definitely your best option.

As for the outbound, if you need to get to EWR, fly the DL 767 and try to get row 1. If you get row 1 it is ok - especially on a daytime flight.
had a mistake unfortunately i've modified my original post, EWR is not A330's but 767 on return as well.
so thanks for info about A330 , would still love to hear best alternatives if i skip EWR and go with JFK route
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:32 am

I must admit that I'm not familiar with Delta's 767, but comparing old and new AF business class, I would go for the old business class for a relatively short day flight, but take the longer layover on a night flight. Angled lie-flat is fine for sitting and working, but you defiantly want a full-flat if you want to get any sleep.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
If you return from JFK, I would take new config AF over DL for two reason:

AF will serve dinner in the lounge - more time to sleep on the short redeye flight to Paris.
AF flight is a later departure time - easier to sleep on in my experience.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The new AF J seat is excellent. The DL seat in A330 is a very good product too and is very similar to the new AF One, but I have a preference for the AF one (wider at the shoulder level, slightly more comfortable and more personal storage place). In contrary, I don't like the DL J in the 767. Clearly outdated compared to the rest of the fleet, but of course still a very decent product.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies and assistance

I've Managed to get on the A380 for the outbound rather than waiting the extra 2 hours for the 777-300 and the cocoon, and for the return and the night flight 9:30PM got on the 777-300ER flight with the new business class.

Anyone has advice in regards to seating on each of those: A320/A380/777-300ER ?

And in regards to points assignment, if my location is Israel TLV, can i benefit for attributing the miles to another program rather than flying blue?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:38 am

You can check wheretocredit to see where you can credit your miles, it all depends on your flying patterns, you can take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html

As for the A380, I prefer the first and smaller J cabin, and will take an aisle middle seat if flying alone, as for the A321 it really makes no difference.
For the 777-300, you should maybe review the thread in the AF forum about it ... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...-schedule.html
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Flown the DL 767 J cabin a couple of times for long haul flights between PVG and SEA, and from ATL to SCL. I honestly thought it was alright especially if you want to sleep since it was lie flat. The only bad part is the small cubby hole for the feet so your feet will definitely touch the side panels. Think of it like sleeping in a sleeping bag during camping. I did like Delta's large pillows and duvet though so always had no problem sleeping as I do not really move much. I also do not sleep sideways if that is a consideration.

AF new J is definitely a step up but not sure if it is worth an extra 2 hours of the time. I have never tried this product before though it should be similar to CX long haul J, which is very good!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by quirrow
Flown the DL 767 J cabin a couple of times for long haul flights between PVG and SEA, and from ATL to SCL. I honestly thought it was alright especially if you want to sleep since it was lie flat. The only bad part is the small cubby hole for the feet so your feet will definitely touch the side panels.
The footwells in row 1 are noticeably larger, hence SEA-Flyer's recommendation above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.