Wiki Posts
Search

Flying J from SYD to LHR via SGN/HAN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Flying J from SYD to LHR via SGN/HAN

My wife and I have booked our first ever J fare with Vietnam Airlines flying from SYD to SGN/HAN - LHR in September.

Just wondering if anyone would be able to shed any light on the lounge used at Sydney, and what the facilities are like at both HCMC & Hanoi's Business Class lounges. Specifically, do they have showers as we have hefty layover on the way back.

Also, if anyone has any tips for seats on the 777 or 787, I would be happy to hear them. ^
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
In SYD, there is a recent Skyteam lounge, so VN is likely using it. VN lounges in SGN and HAN are nothing extraordinary but OK. You should find information on their amenities/equipments on Skyteam website.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:13 am
EdC

Programs: BA Silver, Accor + Hilton Gold, YHA Life member
Hanoi definitely has showers in the international Vietnam Airlines lounge. I've not used them, so I'm not sure what the towel or cleanliness situation is. The Hanoi lounge is decent enough - quite small, could be busy late at night before the Korea/Japan/Europe departures. Can't help on the domestic Hanoi, or the Saigon lounges.

Don't forget your visa. I've seen elsewhere that VN will help with this, and may provide it free of charge, but I've no first hand experience.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by EdC
Don't forget your visa. I've seen elsewhere that VN will help with this, and may provide it free of charge, but I've no first hand experience.
If the OP is just transiting in HAN and SGN int'l to int'l, no visa is needed.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I concur. I transited SGN without a visa. And I can say the SGN lounge was quite nice with good views, food and plenty of space. But I didn't check for showers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:03 am

Transit through SGN is very straightforward: there is a Vietnam Airlines transfer desk just near immigration. From there it's just a few steps to the transfer x-Ray check and upstairs to departures. There is a few Lotus Lounges in departures( or a least 2). They are clearly signed and you go down one level to enter.
I don't recall any showers but I wasn't looking. Wifi works fine. The food on offer is pretty ordinary. It's ok, but don't have high expectations of the experience.
That's a long transit but the VN experience is pretty good: less so on the angled flat to/from Australia but very good indeed on the A350 to Paris ( haven't done the LHR but I would assume similar). Great seat, sensible food, nice crew, solid sleep, good value.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:47 am

SGN lounge has no showers. It seems a little tired. Sometimes they have instant noodles, and sometimes the noodles in bowls wrapped in saran wrap (put the soup in yourself).

If you have some time in SGN airport, go outside and go to Moonlight Cafe (on top of the CT Parkson Building. You can walk there in a few minutes, just have to get through crazy traffic). You have to enter on the left side (as you face the building), but it is the top (11th floor) and has good views of the planes arriving/departing. I don't think the food is anything special though.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by s0ssos
If you have some time in SGN airport, go outside and go to Moonlight Cafe (on top of the CT Parkson Building. You can walk there in a few minutes, just have to get through crazy traffic). You have to enter on the left side (as you face the building), but it is the top (11th floor) and has good views of the planes arriving/departing. I don't think the food is anything special though.
And the hassle of passing VN immigration twice (and possibly needing a visa) : no way for me.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:27 am
EdC

Programs: BA Silver, Accor + Hilton Gold, YHA Life member
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I'd read it as SYD-SGN-HAN-LHR and back.

Certainly, if HAN is involved, there must be a domestic leg somewhere, as VN don't fly HAN-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.