Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

NewBie Question: Getting full miles in Skyteam airlines...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam

I used to travel on star alliance, so I am new to sky team.
In sky team, the mileage seems to be discounted based on the ticket price. (unlike star alliance where you get the full miles, no matter which class you travel)

Is there a way to get the full miles without paying for full fare for a skyteam ticket. I mostly travel in KLM, and its next to impossible.

or
are there other airlines in skyteam that is cheaper to travel and still get full miles??

or
are there routes that is easier to get full mileage on any skyteam airlines??

Thanks ^
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by stargard
(unlike star alliance where you get the full miles, no matter which class you travel)
What airline and program does this? The last time I flew on NH, I definitely didn't get full miles.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Whether the miles you get for a flight are reduced or not, is a decision of an airline's individual frequent flyer program and not a Skyteam or Star Alliance thing. You will find programs with reduced earnings in Star Alliance, too.
Regarding your situation with KLM the best choice of program all depends on where you typically fly, in what booking class, with what airline and how often, and what you want to get out of the program. With KLM's Flying Blue it is comparably easy to qualify for status with lounge access on short, cheap Economy flights, for example.
The miles you get for a flight depend: on the frequent flyer program you have chosen, the airline you fly with and the price of the ticket. There are far more than a dozen programs within Skyteam and way more airlines, so there is no way to answer your questions in general.
Finally note that the vue of a program does not only depend in how many miles you get, but also on what you can do with them, ie on the price and availability of award flights.

Last edited by cityflyer369; Feb 8, 2016 at 8:26 am
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In this discussion, you should clarify whether you mean redeemable miles or status miles.

Both DL and UA now calculate redeemable miles based on fare rather than miles flown and, in fact , use essentially the same rules for both redeemable miles and status miles/qualification requirements.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stargard welcome to FT

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Originally Posted by stargard
unlike star alliance where you get the full miles, no matter which class you travel
What airline and program does this? The last time I flew on NH, I definitely didn't get full miles.
Star Alliance airline Air NZ gives nil ff miles for many low cost fares.

+++++++++
What are your objectives from a ffp?
What airlines fly where you go most?

The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit those flights to does not need to be the same.
Freq flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn.
50% miles in a ffp you can use are better than 100% that cannot be used (before they expire)

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam
Thanks for some of the answers

I mostly travel air france or KLM.
Generally only with full Y class do you get 100% status miles.

In my question I was referring to status miles, to reach gold levels. In general now, I only get 25% to 50%, sometimes no status miles at all.The FFP is really to reach the gold membership status.
KLM -Air france seem to only uses status miles to determine the membership levels.

I travel almost anywhere.
Recently on a trip to Phoenix, I only received 25% of the miles as status miles on Delta....

Last year I had to make 40 single one way trips to achieve gold status. Too much trips, so this year I was looking to see how to achieve the 40K status miles before I ran into the discounted status miles problem.

I was told, some skyteam airlines give preferred full status miles for certain flights and certain times of the year.How do I find these?

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only way is look at each ffp and do a calculation for status
Look here http://www.wheretocredit.com/ (this may be correct). But this is redeemable/award miles. Not status earning.

http://www.wheretocredit.com/delta-air-lines
Are you sure you are not mixing redeemable/award miles & status earning?.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:52 am

Hi,
I'm also a newbie here, can you explain the concept of redeemable and status concept? I'm flying now Saudia a lot and I see that Delta get 100% on Y&E class tickets which I assume makes it better than other FFP?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Originally Posted by Dubai_consultant
I'm also a newbie here, can you explain the concept of redeemable and status concept? I'm flying now Saudi a lot and I see that Delta get 100% on Y&E class tickets which I assume makes it better than other FFP?
With ffp's you earn 2 things:-
Redeemable miles/avios/points (or another name)
These are mainly for award flights or upgrades.
With most ffp’s these expire after a set time, but with some ffp’s the life can be extended..

Status
These get you more privileges when flying. Such as lounge acess, better seat selection, bonus redeemable milles and more.
Generally these are for 1 year, but some ffp’s have longer status period.
The next year you qualify/requalify from zero. (they reset)
Different ffp’s call this status earning measure different names. Like tier points, elite qualifying miles, elite qualifying points, status credits and many other names. (Those airline ffp’s that use the world miles in status description tend to have more confusion)

For example in Oneworld alliance emerald, sapphire & ruby are the status levels. https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 10, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.