Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Feeling like I'm new to skyteam when I have 56k miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Hi there, I'm a skyTeam member for almost 6 years with 55k miles on Korean air. I've never known any tricks on skyTeam program to get higher member level. I look through lost of info on internet on how to be a skyteam elite plus. And I get so confused cause it seems like there're lots of things I don't know about this program.

1. If I'm a Skypass member [Korean air] can I apply for any other skyteam airlines? Well, I know I can but like will those airlines gives me higher member level right when I apply? or I have to start from zero? For example I've 55k so I'm morning calm club for KE. If I apply for flying blue, will I get to be Gold stats? and then become skyteam elite plus or no?

2. What is the point match or miles match? How is it works?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:51 am

Skyteam members won't match between each other, IIRC.

For STE+, though, SkyPass is trickier/harder since their Elite Plus tiers are based on lifetime mileage.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status & miles are different things
The only trick to status is to fly more
The few airlines that do status match tend to offer 1 level lower than you are now.
Effectively you cannot move ff miles for one fpp to an other ffp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Normally, a program in ST works like this (and Korean's program is a bit an exception here): your status depends on the amount of miles you collected due to flying during the previous year, or on the number of flight segments you flew during the previous year. So how much do you expect to fly in 2016?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Skyteam members won't match between each other, IIRC.

For STE+, though, SkyPass is trickier/harder since their Elite Plus tiers are based on lifetime mileage.
Thank you for the answer. So this means that if I'm applying for any SkyTeam members. I will have to start over again. Am I correct?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Normally, a program in ST works like this (and Korean's program is a bit an exception here): your status depends on the amount of miles you collected due to flying during the previous year, or on the number of flight segments you flew during the previous year. So how much do you expect to fly in 2016?
I'll get 15-16K miles in a couple months. But seriously 500k miles looks so impossible to me. Sinice I will start flying JFK-BKK every year. So I starting to think about some airlines that have better options.

Thank you for your answer
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Status & miles are different things
The only trick to status is to fly more
The few airlines that do status match tend to offer 1 level lower than you are now.
Effectively you cannot move ff miles for one fpp to an other ffp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Thank you! It seems like the only way I can level up to SkyTeam Elite plus. Is to reach 500K miles with Korean air?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by iipenny
So this means that if I'm applying for any SkyTeam members. I will have to start over again. Am I correct?
yes
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I didn't quite catch how much flying you're doing, but just flying JFK-BKK once a year isn't enough for Skyteam Elite+. In general a program needs 50k a year for that level, your single trip is in the 20k range if I recall correctly, so you still have a long way to go every year for a 50k level membership. There might still be a few exceptions to this, like a 40k E+ card somewhere but not much lower than that. You also have to factor in fare class, low economy fares are penalized and may not earn 100% status miles, and full flex business fares often grant bonus status miles.

If the JKF-BKK flight is all you're doing in a year then just focus on the program that gives you the best chance and cost to redeem awards and where miles don't expire, that's probably Delta since most other programs have a hard expiration date for unused miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.