Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

How to buy KLM business class for the price of normal ecomnomy?

Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue

Hi,
I have an friend who got Business class ticket from Lima, Peru to Amsterdam for less then I pay for a normal econonmy ticket with KLM. How is that possible?

I pay between 1600-1900 USD, and he paied 1250 USD for business class. Any idea?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:55 am

Why don't you just ask your friend how he did it?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Buy early, be flexible with dates, and spend a few hours on the internet. It's not magic!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by frank77
Hi,
I have an friend who got Business class ticket from Lima, Peru to Amsterdam for less then I pay for a normal econonmy ticket with KLM. How is that possible?

I pay between 1600-1900 USD, and he paied 1250 USD for business class. Any idea?
Ask your friend.

People in these forum regularly snag great deals. They are usually flexible on dates and even location. You need to be able to pull the trigger when you see a good fare instead of waiting until you've planned everything.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You are not comparing the same things. You bought obviously a full fare Y ticket and your friend bought a discounted J-class ticket.
Yes, sometimes J can be cheaper than Y in some circumstances (e.g. almost full Y cabin and empty J cabin).
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goldorak
You are not comparing the same things. You bought obviously a full fare Y ticket and your friend bought a discounted J-class ticket.
Yes, sometimes J can be cheaper than Y in some circumstances (e.g. almost full Y cabin and empty J cabin).
Yes and we started seeing this a lot with Euro airlines when the financial crisis hit and a lot of corporate travel changed from J to Y only.

I recently booked Eco Plus with Openskies which for one leg was almost €500 cheaper than normal Eco. I think that one was due to a lot of TA bulk bookings for holiday makers as it's August.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Perhaps your friend took advantage of an offer AF/KLM had some months ago to Lima. For example: OSL-LIM in business for 18 000 NOK (about the same price as for premium economy in AF).. I managed to take advantage of the deal :-).
I fly quite often to Lima, and until know the only way to get cheap business class fares is constant online searches and flexible dates, but have never scored a flight as low as 1250 USD. However, Im talking about reasonable flight itineraries (less than 20 hours, usually via MAD, AMS or CDG). You might find something cheaper is your willing to travel for 25+ hours.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
My friend dont wanna tell the me how. But I know he flue business class LIM-BOG-FRA-OSL for USD 1250. I belive he got it true an bonusmiles program. But how, I would love to know.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
guess he is not such a good friend ;-)
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by frank77
My friend dont wanna tell the me how. But I know he flue business class LIM-BOG-FRA-OSL for USD 1250. I belive he got it true an bonusmiles program. But how, I would love to know.
That's just a fare deal that went around. Oslo and lima are notorious for fare deals. Also that itinerary is not klm, it is most likely star alliance. Also that flight didn't even touch ams. Different cities have different prices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.